Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,064

1 members and 2,063 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Is she just being a diva?

A couple months ago I acquired a large adult female b.p. She's a couple inches short of 5 ft. and weighs aprox. 2600 grms.
    When I bought her, previous owner indicated feeding had been a bit sporadic due to financial concerns. Apparently she's making up for lost time because she's an enthusiastic eater. *She's shed 3 x in 9 wks.!
    She has me a bit frustrated at the moment though. In the time I've had her, I've been feeding her increasingly larger rats, plus she's great at eating smaller "left overs" that may be refused by my smaller b.p. 's...
    She currently takes aprox. 300 grms. of rat every 7 - 10 days. Generally that consists of 2 rats weighing somewhere between 120 - 150 grms. and perhaps one or two weighing 50 grms. I often get the impression she'd be happy for another small one if I offered.
    I was delighted to find a source for larger rats and bought a package of f.t. ranging from 250 - 300 grms in size. She won't touch them!! I'm confused because judging from her girth, she should have NO trouble with these.
    Has anyone else experienced a similar thing ? Any suggestions as to how to convince her to accept one large rat instead of 3 smaller ones? I hate discarding the big rats but have nobody else big enough to eat them.
    Last edited by B.P.'s 4me; 06-28-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    I had the same issue with my bp, except with mice instead of rats. Had the girth for jumbo mice, and was definitely interested, but wouldn't touch them for a good month or so after I got them. He went on feeding strike/into shed for a month, and has happily taken two since he came out of shed. So you might try waiting an extra week between feedings and see if giving her hunger a little extra edge might encourage her to be less picky.

If that still doesn't work, I'd freeze them for a while and try offering one periodically or after a shed. She may just randomly change her mind and decide to take one.

She may not even need to eat a rat that big or that frequently though, but I will let people with more experience weigh in on that.
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

Thanks

Re: Is she just being a diva?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengil View Post
    I had the same issue with my bp, except with mice instead of rats. Had the girth for jumbo mice, and was definitely interested, but wouldn't touch them for a good month or so after I got them. He went on feeding strike/into shed for a month, and has happily taken two since he came out of shed. So you might try waiting an extra week between feedings and see if giving her hunger a little extra edge might encourage her to be less picky.

If that still doesn't work, I'd freeze them for a while and try offering one periodically or after a shed. She may just randomly change her mind and decide to take one.

She may not even need to eat a rat that big or that frequently though, but I will let people with more experience weigh in on that.
    Thank you Pengil :-) They are frozen so I thaw as necessary but am reluctant to thaw another one and then have to discard it. The last one I fed was after she'd shed, so she went a week longer than she normally would have and WAS very hungry. She was really interested, but, like you mentioned with yours, she wouldn't touch it. Maybe if I tried a gradual increase of 50 grms. or so each feeding? I buy my rats in packages of a dozen or so (for the large ones) and there isn't a huge range in size per package, I was hoping to avoid having my freezer full of frozen rats LOL. I just find it confusing because, based on her girth I'd expect she could handle a med. size guinea pig, these large rats SHOULD be no problem for her. I don't know her feeding history though, perhaps she was never fed anything other than smaller rats.???