Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,089

1 members and 3,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Another Pueblan question.

I checked the stickies first.

Do do I need an UTH for little one? I have a 40w red heat bulb right now and waiting on my humidity, temp acurite gauge. Cool if I do and I will get another thermostat too. Just want to make sure since the stickies only give proper temps.

thanks.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I think it's far easier to offer thermal gradients in cages (especially smaller tanks) when you use UTH, NOT overhead heat bulbs, which tends to heat up
    all the air & leave no "cool end" to the enclosure. So I guess I'd say yes... You can use the bulb for now, it's not "the end of the world" but in the long run,
    I'd recommend just using the UTH unless the tank/enclosure is larger or your house is especially cold?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (06-28-2018)

Thanks
    He is in a 20 L so there will def be a gradient from hot to cold. The 40 is on the far left. He uses both I have been observing. When he eats he is on the warm side for sure. Right now he is in the middle poking his head out giving me the snake eyes for more food. It is almost time to offer two fuzzies. Almost...lol but mid week he burrows on the colder side. I just want this little one to have the best life goi g forward. He sure is spoiled! My daughter was holding him today and he is just super chill. I need someone to sex the little one.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Another Pueblan question.

Personally, I like belly heat for snakes. That's me. Other people have different views.

If you run a heat bulb and an UTH at the same time, both off thermostats, or a thermostat, then you get the best of both worlds. CHE's, RHP's, and heat bulbs, do help ambient heat and can spread out more. UTH only heats that one spot.

For my big snake tanks, I use an UTH and RHP running off the same thermostat, with the probe placed about 6 inches up from the ground (the tanks are about 12 inches high). The probe tends to be a few degrees cooler than the ground temp, but using them together, allows for a hot spot on the UTH, and a cooler ambient air temp.

For example, Figment, my corn snake, has a hot spot/side of about 82-83F on the ground. However, 2 feet away, on the cool side of his 3X2' enclosure, it's about 77-78F. The RHP warms the air (the UTH is large enough and the tank secure enough it probably does as well to a small extent) but the temps starts dropping when not directly below it. I get a nice gradient.

For Solana, the baby Scaleless Sunglow Motley Corn, I have her in an acrylic 14G with mesh on the top. It's about the dimensions of a ten gallon expect slightly deeper and taller. I have a CHE in the middle of the tank and a small UTH on the back left (both run off a thermostat).

The CHE keeps ambient temp about 76-77F, with a cool spot of about 74-75F, and about 79-80F just below it. The UTH stays dialed in at 82-83F for her hot spot. She can choose from 3 hides, all at different temp gradients. One hide is over the UTH at 82-83F. The other is about 78F. The last is about 76F.

I also like having multiple heat sources for the same reason I run redundant thermostats; redundancy and protection for the snake. With two heat sources there is a very small chance both go out and you are left with a cold snake.

Anyway, my two cents.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
    Last edited by dakski; 06-27-2018 at 11:56 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2018),Sunnieskys (06-28-2018)

Thanks
    Ok, will do. I am a fan of uth as well. So I will def do that with a stat. It might just take a little while to get it all. I'm just glad he has some real heat right now. He didn't have any before. Just a bright uva bulb. I also need to get this dialed In So I can give proper info at work for the two pueblans I have there.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm a fan of UTH for all my snakes too. And it's not true that UTH heats only that spot, any more than a bulb heats only that spot. UTH heat rises into the cage, but the UTH is controlled so as not to burn the snakes, so the warming effect on the whole enclosure is less obvious because the UTH is not running full-blast, that's all. Overhead lights are very inefficient, again because heat rises so most of the heat is in YOUR room, not the snake's. I like for snakes to have "belly heat" to digest and they use it for sure. (In a cage that needs more warmth from UTH, I've used a greater percentage of the floor heated by UTH, still leaving a safety
    zone of no heat: for example, when I had a BCI, about 2/3 of her floor was heated, and she also had overhead basking heat at one end too, so a full range of choices.)

As far as sexing that snake, I wouldn't do it for quite some time, if at all. Let him get bigger, stronger & healthier first. Still, if you have no plans to breed, why even bother?I know how to probe snakes & have done quite a few, but I've never probed my Western Longnose snake...why annoy a snake that's doing just fine, not to mention eating mice instead of lizards for me? Done right, probing is pretty safe, but not perfectly so. That's my 2 cents, lol...it's your call.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-28-2018 at 12:35 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (06-28-2018)

Thanks
    Oh I wouldn't do it anytime soon. I know how, but just want this little one happy. No breeding of any of my snakes. I just wanted to know at some point. I am on slow and steady with this little one. No hurry. I just want him healthy, happy, and live a fulfilled life with me. I only want what is best for this little one. Uth will be ordered this week along with a stat. Thank you for everything. I appreciate you!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I personally don't use a UTH for Django. I supply ambient temps with a gradient and he's, well, awesome.

But there's obviously no harm in running a UTH as long as it's regulated (but you already know that). I just think it's easy enough to achieve proper husbandry for colubrids without one. So, one less thing to have plugged in and using electricity.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (06-28-2018)

Thanks
    Do I need to cover three sides like I do with my pythons? Will he feel more comfy?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Another Pueblan question.

I don't think it is necessary to cover sides with most colubrids unless you happen to have a particularly nervous or shy individual, at which point that's up to you if you think it would help. At the same time, if it makes you feel better, it certainly doesn't do any harm! Kind of like a PVC enclosure is covered on the sides and back.

Most of mine are in AP cages right now and have that by coincidence, but the amount of time I find one laying by the glass and watching things going on is pretty high so seeing the rest of the room is almost a pastime for a few of mine.

My honduran is still small enough to squeeze into the gap between the glass and the substrate dam and isn't at all stressed by seeing out while hanging out there, although he's quickly getting too big for that. (And yes, I can guarentee he isn't stuck and husbandry is otherwise correct, I've watched him get in and back out. I have plans to block the gap when he gets a bit bigger so no worries)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 09-29-2018 at 01:40 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast