Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

1 members and 3,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active BP

Thanks

Active BP

Bought a new phantom ball python around 2 weeks ago from a pet store, he seems to be doing great (He's feeding and doing everything a healthy ball python should do). Recently, around 2 days ago he started to become more active and he's quite active in the day although he will spend a lot of time in his hide he just seems to be very active. I'm not sure whether this is him exploring but he was fed 2 days ago (Saturday) and he's in an 18L tub and he's around 12 months old.

Any suggestions and feedback will go a long way, thanks!
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)
    1.0 Coral Glow Pastel 100% Het Albino (Ares)

Thanks

Re: Active BP

Would you be able to get us his weight and the size of prey? If it was a little small, he may already be back to hunting, i had this problem for a little while.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

Caali (06-26-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slicercrush View Post
    Would you be able to get us his weight and the size of prey? If it was a little small, he may already be back to hunting, i had this problem for a little while.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    The weight of the ball python is 300 grams (I know, it's quite small but I got him recently) and the prey is around 35g, I'm not too sure what the type of rat/mice it was but it seems to me it looks like a frozen rat small weaner BUT I could be wrong as I did not buy the rats, my mom did and she's also not sure.
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    What are your temps?
    How are you heating the enclosure?
    Are your heat sources regulated by a thermostat??
    Are hides provided?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Caali (06-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    What are your temps?
    How are you heating the enclosure?
    Are your heat sources regulated by a thermostat??
    Are hides provided?
    Temperature is at 90 degrees Fahrenheit on the hot side, cold side is at 82 degrees Fahrenheit. It's regulated by a thermostat and I'm using a heat mat under the tub, there's 1 hide provided in the hot side and a water dish.
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonPythons View Post
    Temperature is at 90 degrees Fahrenheit on the hot side, cold side is at 82 degrees Fahrenheit. It's regulated by a thermostat and I'm using a heat mat under the tub, there's 1 hide provided in the hot side and a water dish.
    This might be a stupid question but do you only have one hide? Isn't there another one on the cold side?
    Male Ball Python (Bumblebee het 100% Clown) - Friedrich
    Female Cat (unknown heritage, was an orphaned kitten) - Shirley

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caali View Post
    This might be a stupid question but do you only have one hide? Isn't there another one on the cold side?
    Not right now, I've asked multiple people who breed and just keep BP's as pets and they said I only require one hide.
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)

Thanks

Not right now, I've asked multiple people who breed and just keep BP's as pets and they said I only require one hide.
    Well this could be the riddle's solution.

Breeders often keep their snakes in racks which do not have any light in them. It's trying to simulate the ball python's natural habitat of living in wet, tight and dark places. They're basically a big hide. That's also why the snake can just choose whatever temperature it likes no matter what time but it's different for terrariums.
    If there's light inside the enclosure, it will simulate a day-night cycle. That means that your ball python will normally get up at night to change homes and sometimes even during the day if they are way too hot. Ball pythons need to be able to thermoregulate.
    I think that your ball python is probably too hot on the hot side and searches for a colder spot but he cannot find a safe place during the day because a hide is missing. He feels unsafe but wants to thermoregulate. So is cruising and searching.
    So get a hide identical to the other and put it on the cold side. That's my suggestion.
    Male Ball Python (Bumblebee het 100% Clown) - Friedrich
    Female Cat (unknown heritage, was an orphaned kitten) - Shirley

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Caali For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-26-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

As adults that is often true, many adult BPs won't even use a hide in tubs.

However, your BP is still young and also has recently moved to a completely new world full of new surroundings, smells, outside activity, etc... your BP is still acclimating, searching for a safe spot with the temps he currently desires.

At least temporarily, I'd offer a second hide. Worst case, he doesn't use it, no harm done. Best case, he settles down and you've got peace of mind.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Caali (06-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    As adults that is often true, many adult BPs won't even use a hide in tubs.

However, your BP is still young and also has recently moved to a completely new world full of new surroundings, smells, outside activity, etc... your BP is still acclimating, searching for a safe spot with the temps he currently desires.

At least temporarily, I'd offer a second hide. Worst case, he doesn't use it, no harm done. Best case, he settles down and you've got peace of mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caali View Post
    Well this could be the riddle's solution.

Breeders often keep their snakes in racks which do not have any light in them. It's trying to simulate the ball python's natural habitat of living in wet, tight and dark places. They're basically a big hide. That's also why the snake can just choose whatever temperature it likes no matter what time but it's different for terrariums.
    If there's light inside the enclosure, it will simulate a day-night cycle. That means that your ball python will normally get up at night to change homes and sometimes even during the day if they are way too hot. Ball pythons need to be able to thermoregulate.
    I think that your ball python is probably too hot on the hot side and searches for a colder spot but he cannot find a safe place during the day because a hide is missing. He feels unsafe but wants to thermoregulate. So is cruising and searching.
    So get a hide identical to the other and put it on the cold side. That's my suggestion.
    Thank you both!
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrandonPythons For This Useful Post:

Caali (06-27-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-26-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast