Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

2 members and 2,869 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: We’ve got ourselves a big problem

The sun rays give humans vitamin d, so maybe in theory it's the same type of thing for snakes. In the wild they obviously get it, I know they rest/sleep under dark places or wherever but it's the heat to. We have 3 balls/royals on the wall next to the wall with the window, so when the sun comes around as the day goes by they all get day light/sun. Obviously not directly like that but enough. Same as my 2 corns, they are on the opposite side wall to the window and where the sun rises in my bedroom in the morning, it's covered by my curtains and then when I wake up they have a few hrs of sun (again not directly).

And maybe she suggested a 10 gallon tank to give her more room to lift her head etc. I'm in the UK so I'm not 100% sure how big a 10 gallon is but it would explain why she also said about physio. Also, glass allows more day light, natural light too. Same as a UV bulb, helps to kill fungal infections.

I had to kick my chinchillas outside in the heat/sun for 5 days to help kill fungal which one had. I felt horrible but it worked. Give it a go, never know

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midg8290 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-27-2018),Mislytherin (06-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midg8290 View Post
    The sun rays give humans vitamin d, so maybe in theory it's the same type of thing for snakes. In the wild they obviously get it, I know they rest/sleep under dark places or wherever but it's the heat to. We have 3 balls/royals on the wall next to the wall with the window, so when the sun comes around as the day goes by they all get day light/sun. Obviously not directly like that but enough. Same as my 2 corns, they are on the opposite side wall to the window and where the sun rises in my bedroom in the morning, it's covered by my curtains and then when I wake up they have a few hrs of sun (again not directly).

And maybe she suggested a 10 gallon tank to give her more room to lift her head etc. I'm in the UK so I'm not 100% sure how big a 10 gallon is but it would explain why she also said about physio. Also, glass allows more day light, natural light too. Same as a UV bulb, helps to kill fungal infections.....
    Just keep in mind that sunlight coming through glass (windows or aquariums) is NOT the same thing as natural sunlight outdoors...glass filters out some of what
    you (& presumably our pets) need. And of course, cages should never be located where sunlight can stream through the windows onto them: they can over-heat
    & kill the pet inside. I'm not sure if snakes need or make Vitamin D from the sun...it may take a while before such research gets done & published; all I can say is
    that exposure to controlled sunlight* is something I've used successfully to improve a snake's appetite. (*never leave a snake outside in the sun in a glass tank- or
    a plastic one, for that matter; you need to just hold them in the open air so they don't over-heat, & only as air temperatures allow- for 15-20 minutes or so.)

But back to the OP's "problem snake", since it's possible that the snake suffered injury from excessive heat (we just don't know yet), I'd be SUPER-cautious
    about sun exposure for this snake specifically....it could cause further harm at this point.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-27-2018 at 12:36 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-27-2018),Mislytherin (07-01-2018)

Thanks

Thank you all for the input encouragement and help in this journey. I moved the little miss to a 10 gallon today, she is definitely exploring. I feel like it will be a long while before we see improvement.

I will put it on my agenda to have her out in the sun once a week. Of course with hands on care at that time.

We keep both freshwater and marine aquariums and I’m thinking aloud whether a light designed for plant or coral growth could help long term with this purpose, certainly lights for day bearded dragons or leopard geckos would do the trick. Hey goooooogle!!

I’m still disappointed with this interim vet as she had promised a phone call by Friday... and it is Sunday with no contact. Oh well I won’t get my panties in a bunch, just won’t employ her services again.

If anything improves or changes I will keep everyone posted.

Thank you again, you’ve all been incredibly helpful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mislytherin For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (07-01-2018),EL-Ziggy (07-01-2018)

Thanks

Latest update!! It’s been a few weeks and I wanted to update everyone. My daughter decided to name her Kiki... before that song hit our area. What an unfortunate choice hahaha.

Kiki eats like a champ, and her movements are a lot more stable. She still moves erratically when she’s stressed but not nearly as often or as severe as before. I would say without hesitation that she is on the road to recovery. The cause I believe as we suspected was an improperly run heating element, or chemical exposure. She’s growing and looks really healthy. I couldn’t be happier with her recovery. As you know I was so anxious and upset to see her move like that.

Moral of the story, if you have a sick snake, take them to an experienced vet immediately. If it’s a watch and wait situation don’t give up hope!!

I just picked her up an Exo Terra large low for my display rack. I’ll post photos in a few months once it’s set up. We are adding on to our house and it includes a snake room for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mislytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-14-2018),the_rotten1 (08-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Sweet! and what a stunning-looking snake too. This is my favorite kind of update...

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    Her skin is looking so good! I'm glad to hear she's doing better for you and you didn't give up on her ♡

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234