Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,045

1 members and 2,044 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

We’ve got ourselves a big problem

Hey guys!
    I posted a few weeks ago about treating a pied I picked up with some sort of skin condition. I noticed at that time she had a spider like wobble and some corkscrewing when she got stressed or excited. We all suspected possibly neurological damage due to high heat and unknown conditions. Her skin issue was symptomatic of neglect so I let it slide.

I have noticed she holds her head kind of askew tipped to one side. Again no real cause for concern. No respiratory symptoms, mites etc. Tonight after spending no time prior handling or inspecting I noticed her movement is very disturbingly uncoordinated. Of course being from the era when IBD came about that is my first suspicion. I’ll call the vet in the morning and see about getting her in.

To top it off one of the other snakes is showing some neurological distress, particularly stargazing. I know it’s easy to see what you dread in this situation... what do you think is going on?

Chat me through it until I can get her to the vet! One thing worth mentioning is she spilled her water, while I was in there the humidity is not that high. I changed her paper towel after I took this video.

https://youtu.be/tn-BFxgEBrM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts
    That sure doesn't look right to me...I hope it's not IBD but that's for the vet to diagnose...no way we could tell you for sure.

Please clarify, did you buy this, or "these" snakes, or take them in as rescues? are they from a breeder, a commercial outlet or private owner?
    (Might help to link your original thread for those of us who may have missed it? Saves repeating stuff?)

Sure hope you're quarantining all, and properly??? Humidity is the least of your problem...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Mislytherin (06-24-2018)

Thanks

Re: We’ve got ourselves a big problem

I’ll post links to my previous posts. To give you the spark notes These snakes are a craigslist find, not a private breeder, they are quarantined in another level of my house with sequestered instruments, cleaning, and handling. I sanitize with chlorahexadine after being in their room.

Post 1
    Craigslist find ID
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mislytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-24-2018)

Thanks

Post 2
    Pied with Wobble
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

Thanks
    I don't know how many other snakes (reptiles) you have but if any, I'd suggest that you change clothes after you deal with them too, ie. that you
    follow rigorous quarantine procedures. What about air circulation- shared air (HVAC) in your house?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Mislytherin (06-24-2018)

Thanks
    Poor babe, sorry you are having more rotten luck with these snakes, hopefully the vet will give you some much needed relief , will keep you in my prayers tonight , best wishes always ~healing hugs from across the ~🙏
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-24-2018),Mislytherin (06-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I wouldn't throw out IBD so fast. The pied has been showing neuro symptoms for a month and had a host of other problems when you got it, including a bad case of scale rot. With the weakened immune system if truly were IBD, I believe that snake would be dead by now, it kills ball pythons very fast.

I would be thinking internal infection or neuro damage due to overheating at some point when the prior owner had it.
    Last edited by bcr229; 06-24-2018 at 11:19 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-24-2018),C.Marie (06-24-2018),dr del (06-25-2018),Mislytherin (06-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I wouldn't throw out IBD so fast. The pied has been showing neuro symptoms for a month and had a host of other problems when you got it, including a bad case of scale rot. With the weakened immune system if truly were IBD, I believe that snake would be dead by now, it kills ball pythons very fast.

I would be thinking internal infection or neuro damage due to overheating at some point when the prior owner had it.
    Googling neuro issues in a ball python is just like using web MD, half the time it diagnoses you with cancer lol. And neuro issues according to google mean a death sentence.

I figured if she has neurological issues they may taper, or stay constant rather than ramp up. Her appetite is still strong, and her scales have a nice luster to them, I’m truly hoping it turns out to be an infection of sorts. Maybe a Protozoa infestation... they sometimes can cause neurological issues as well.

Thanks for the help guys I needed someone to talk me down from the ledge. My boyfriend was like “maybe she’s exploring... she’s in a small enclosure” he didn’t see the video though. Another reason why daily inspection is so important during quarantine.

We don’t have central air so we are pretty secure against airborne diseases. Good idea on the clothing change!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mislytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-24-2018),C.Marie (06-24-2018)

Thanks
    I think you have to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst... I think even improper exposure to PAM for mites can leave neurological damage (if it's not
    fatal), so yes, there's other possibilities, & no way we can do more than just guess here. And totally hope it's something treatable!

But what's that about another snake stargazing? did the other snake come from the same source?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-25-2018),C.Marie (06-25-2018),Mislytherin (06-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think you have to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst... I think even improper exposure to PAM for mites can leave neurological damage (if it's not
    fatal), so yes, there's other possibilities, & no way we can do more than just guess here. And totally hope it's something treatable!

But what's that about another snake stargazing? did the other snake come from the same source?
    Yes I picked the three up together, all had spots of scale rot, burn spots, or another similar skin issue, each of them were extremely dehydrated with the banana being in the best shape. They adjusted and have all been eating very well, again no signs or sounds of respiratory problems. I’ll try to capture his thousand yard stare.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mislytherin For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-25-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast