Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,707

2 members and 2,705 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Ball Python Rack Setup

Hello, I joined the forum a couple weeks ago as I needed some help with ball pythons as I got a my very first ball python around 3 weeks ago. He's doing great and I've always been interested in a rack setup as I'd like to add more ball pythons to my collection. One thing that I was confused about is how am I supposed to monitor all tub temperatures if I only have 1 probe? I currently have a InkBird thermostat which is great, it is capable of 2200w but only has 1 probe so I would only be able to monitor 1 of the tubs out of the ideal 6 I would like. I'd also like to have some help on how to make an easy, cheap and life long rack system, if I could get any help this would be amazing, thank you!

- Brandon

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Rack Setup

Most people put the one probe in the middle and then the tubs will vary a little at the top and bottom tubs which is fine. It depends on the ambient room temp with how much variance it may be.

From my own experience, as far as money and effort, i tried making a 5 slot hatchling rack and yes it worked but in the end i wish i had just bought a premade rack from the beginning lol. So that is my advice.

I would also suggest if you have as many as 6 snakes on 1 thermostat, to upgrade your thermostat to a better brand simply because the inkbird doesnt have the right safety features to protect them if something went wrong. Losing 6 snakes to a $30 thermostat as far as investment and personal interest would be devastating.

Just my thoughs and input. I am new to bps as well and by no means an expert at anything lol. I know what i said is probably not what you were hoping to hear as feedback since you are wanting to save money, but i wish i had someone to tell me when i started out. In the end you do save money and have major peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I don't have a whole lot of experience to be able to add to this, but I did build my own rack and like Roux, I regret not buying one in the first place. It's mainly that I don't have the tools necessary to really build a nice rack, nor do I trust myself with wiring flexwatt.

If it interests you, my current plan is to get two racks from Animal Plastics, a hatchling rack, and a combo juvenile/adult rack. Not sure how tall, but my current rack is 5 shelves, so maybe about that height. I'm a little annoyed that I've already bought a bunch of Sterilite tubs and that I'm going to have to replace them all with the Container Store tubs that fit the AP racks, but I like how clean the racks look, and that they are stackable. Also, thinking I will be getting a Herpstat 2 to run both racks at once. An incubator is the next thing on the list. Again, I'm nervous about my ability to build one so I might be saving up to buy a small one.

Anyway, that's just my plan, I look forward to an expert chiming in here.
    1.0 Spider Mojave - Sir Derps-a-lot
    0.1 Super Pastel Calico - Fluffy
    0.1 Bumblebee het Piebald - Charlotte
    1.0 Banana - Courage the Cowardly Snoot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    Most people put the one probe in the middle and then the tubs will vary a little at the top and bottom tubs which is fine. It depends on the ambient room temp with how much variance it may be.

From my own experience, as far as money and effort, i tried making a 5 slot hatchling rack and yes it worked but in the end i wish i had just bought a premade rack from the beginning lol. So that is my advice.

I would also suggest if you have as many as 6 snakes on 1 thermostat, to upgrade your thermostat to a better brand simply because the inkbird doesnt have the right safety features to protect them if something went wrong. Losing 6 snakes to a $30 thermostat as far as investment and personal interest would be devastating.

Just my thoughs and input. I am new to bps as well and by no means an expert at anything lol. I know what i said is probably not what you were hoping to hear as feedback since you are wanting to save money, but i wish i had someone to tell me when i started out. In the end you do save money and have major peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by madsdura View Post
    I don't have a whole lot of experience to be able to add to this, but I did build my own rack and like Roux, I regret not buying one in the first place. It's mainly that I don't have the tools necessary to really build a nice rack, nor do I trust myself with wiring flexwatt.

If it interests you, my current plan is to get two racks from Animal Plastics, a hatchling rack, and a combo juvenile/adult rack. Not sure how tall, but my current rack is 5 shelves, so maybe about that height. I'm a little annoyed that I've already bought a bunch of Sterilite tubs and that I'm going to have to replace them all with the Container Store tubs that fit the AP racks, but I like how clean the racks look, and that they are stackable. Also, thinking I will be getting a Herpstat 2 to run both racks at once. An incubator is the next thing on the list. Again, I'm nervous about my ability to build one so I might be saving up to buy a small one.

Anyway, that's just my plan, I look forward to an expert chiming in here.
    Thank you both very much for the advice! You've gave me a lot to think about and I'll check out Animal Plastics, thank you.

EDIT: Just realised the only ship to the US, was interested in the medium tub/juvenile-adult rack but I won't be able to get it as I live in the UK.
    Last edited by BrandonPythons; 06-21-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    Ball Python(s)
    1.0 Phantom (Zeus)
    1.0 Coral Glow Pastel 100% Het Albino (Ares)

Thanks

I would suggest going to some local reptile expos and see if anyone there is selling racks (chances are that there is)
    Check your local classified websites too people sell racks from time to time.