Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,015

1 members and 2,014 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Meet Nagini! (and me)

Hello, all!

So, a little about the boring hooman before snek (if I posted about her first, you all would just leave afterwards ._.)

I am 21 and work at PetSmart (one of the really super awesome ones where everyone knows their stuff when it comes to snugglebabies) and have a higher than average number of pets. In addition to my beloved snake, who is actually my newest addition (I really think she is my favorite), I have a cat (Autumn, female DSH torti, 1 y/o), a Western Minor bearded dragon (Norbert, approximately eight months old. Can you tell I like Harry Potter yet?), four hermit crabs (Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel), and a 55g aquarium (freshwater, still being established- having a bit of difficulty with temperatures and die-offs ). I enjoy reading, video games (Guild Wars 2, anyone? I roleplay!), and Netflix. This is my first time owning a snake (actually, all of my pets except the hermit crabs are first-times, though I've had loads of experience caring for them at work long before I got any).

Now, the part you all came for...

I kinda hate typing on my phone, so pictures will come later. Nagini is a gorgeous royal python (I dislike calling them balls) who is considerably older than most PetSmart specimens- I estimate about a foot and a half, almost two feet long. The reason for this is quite interesting. She is /extremely/ friendly and sold almost immediately, but was returned within two weeks because she refused to eat. The owner did everything correctly, but she wouldn't eat. She was returned, and one of our reptile experts adopted her to nurse her back to health. Unfortunately, she had to be force-fed for several months, but never lost her curiosity and affability. Only a few weeks ago, she began eating on her own, and was brought back to be sold. Before she was adopted, she spent several months in isolation, where I got to interact with her a number of times during wellness checks (medically speaking, there was nothing wrong with her. The veterinarian did every test he could think of. She just refused to eat. We think she somehow got hold of live prey and didn't want frozen anymore.) I fell in love! When she finally returned to the sales floor, I bought her immediately. That was this past weekend, and she ate flawlessly tonight. Daddy is so proud of his Ickle Naggykins!

Since she is a bit older and larger, and positively fearless and gregarious, I decided that, like my equally bubbly beardie (I get so lucky with all my babies, except the gosh darn fish!), I would try her in a larger terrarium. And, like my beardie, she has flourished. Nagini lives in an ExoTerra 40g front-door terrarium with a distinctive Asian motif, like all my tanks. She has three beautiful hides- a cave in the corner, a hollow Buddha statue, and a natural reptile-safe barked log arch. I use ZooMed Forest Floor cypress mulch for that added umph to maintain humidity. There are a number of Top Fin and National Geographic plants in there to give it a natural look and add more cover for hiding. I have a large corner bowl that she seems to enjoy. Her tank is kept perfectly within parameters for both heat and humidity.

Nagini loves to explore, especially at night, and spends most of the day hanging out of Buddha's backside and checking out the dining room. When I'm on the other side of the tank, she'll pop out and check out what I'm doing. The cat hasn't seemed to realize there's a thing in the tank yet, so Nagini always seems to sneak up on her. It's funny! Nagini enjoys watching Netflix with me on the couch (though she seems to have more fun climbing onto my face and obstructing my view).
    Last edited by Arirang; 06-20-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Welcome
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Welcome. I work at Petco as an animal manager and I get it. Congrats on your little one. I did the same with my Odyn!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Yet another "Welcome"! The fact that Nagini was returned initially after refusing food for 2 weeks is sorta laughable...that is SOoooo "normal", especially
    for BPs but all pets need time to settle in, and snakes just happen to refuse food when they're stressed. and even when they aren't, just because they can.

(I strongly suspect that her owners were busy handling her, which goes against recommendations for all snakes: they should be allowed to settle in & feed
    2 or preferably 3 times before ANY handling, so all the force-feeding & vet checks were likely a waste of time & effort...but it's water under the bridge now.)

Anyway, the end result is that you are now smitten with a snake...and you've come to the right place, we've all "suffered" the same fate at least once &
    some of us, too many times to count. We look forward to your updates.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-21-2018),Sunnieskys (06-21-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome!! You've come to a great place to learn!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    welcome, friend!!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    TON of great info to be found here - as well as experienced owners. enjoy your stay!
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-23-2018)

Thanks
    Lucy, Ricky, Fred, & Ethel! HA!
    Welcome!
    **LU BALLZ** (IG. @lu_ballz)