Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,906

1 members and 2,905 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My First Rescues

So before I start this post I'm going to share a side note. It's hard to tell this story because it was a heartbreaking experience. When I was younger I had a ball python. I didn't know anything about them, I just thought they were cool. Long story short... my lack of knowledge and understanding led to a snake who was neglected and cared for improperly. It shortly passed away. I was heartbroken. Not just bc the snake died but bc it died from of my neglect.

It took a couple years, about a dozen books, and people like those of you on this forum before I had the confidence, knowledge, and capability to adopt a beautiful creature like this again. Since then I have had success with a few Balls and a turtle.

Now to my rescue story!

This is just the start, but there will be more to come!
    x
    I always search online just for curiosities sake to see what people are trying to get rid of. I came across a post for two BP's, Enclosures, and enough food for a month. Sounds great right? Wrong. I could tell by the pictures that these beauties (pied and candino) were malnurished and housed in absolutely deplorable conditions. Little did I know, it was worse than I thought.

I show up to the house and eveything seemed normal... white picket fence.. a couple dogs. That sort of thing. We talk and go downstairs to where they had the snakes. I got down there and immediately wanted to smack the woman. Bone chilling cold, housings covered in dust, feces everywhere, urates everywhere, most likely the past two sheds still sitting in the tank ( couldn't tell because they were in a million pieces), and empty water bowls. It took everything I had to hold in the words and emotions that I had for this woman, but I knew if I called her out on it then she wouldn't let me adopt them. I took them and left her house but not before asking " you are never getting anymore reptiles ever again, right?" She said "never".

Now, I understand that these animals aren't for everyone, but do you wanna know the worst part of this story? And I promise I can't make this up.... she went to school for herpetology!!! So I spent all night, along with my neighbor and his son cleaning all of the terrible things out of both of their tanks. Pictures will come soon but they need time to adjust to their new surroundings and to heal up after the absolutely deplorable conditions they were living in before.

I will update on their their progress and keep everyone informed with how they are acclimating, but I don't want my point to be missed here.... DO NOT BUY A BALL PYTHON BEACUSE IT'S "COOL" or "PRETTY". They are fascinating animals that live a very long time. Don't take advantage of them or neglect them!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spink For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-19-2018),Duaneandlindsay (06-20-2018),hilabeans (06-19-2018),Reptilius (06-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I hope you can get them back to healthy. I'm curious, how do you know she went to school for herpetology? (and for how long? maybe she slept in class or
    flunked out...?) Anyway, the same thing happens with dogs & other animals...people get them for the wrong reasons, like "looking cool"...all living creatures
    deserve the best care we can give. Anyway, you learned from your past mistakes...I hope she does too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spink (06-19-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Sounds like the snakes are lucky you found them!!

Be sure to properly quarantine to make sure your other animals stay healthy!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Spink (06-19-2018)

Thanks

Re: My First Rescues

Yea they are both in separate rooms far away from my other animals. They both look healthy enough but you never know.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spink For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-19-2018)

Thanks
    Wow, what a story....makes me so sad, but I'm glad you rescued them now and they are in good hands!
    ~Annie
    ~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieHeart For This Useful Post:

Spink (06-19-2018)

Thanks

She actually told me she has her bachelors degree in herpetology. I don't believe it after what I saw, and if it is true then she needs to have that diploma revoked!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spink For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-19-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    good luck with them! i hope they plump up for you real soon.

this kind of reminds me of the first time i saw an old friend from high school after like a decade (no animosity, just drifted apart). she was the first person i knew of that had a pet snake; she would post pictures of her normal on facebook all the time, and it was her that sparked my curiosity into keeping snakes as pets. when i realized my friend and i were going to her house, i was soOoOo excited to talk about snakes and just geek out for a minute.

then i get there, and i see the enclosure: right in the middle of the living room, high-traffic area, 20g glass mesh top for an almost 4ft snake, no coverings at all, aspen bedding, 1 too small half-log hide, 1 lamp, no thermostats or regulators to be seen, old shed in pieces still in the enclosure with poop and urates visible, stuck shed visible on the snake.

i wanted to scream! i wanted to stomp my feet and say "how could you!? do you even care??" she was what sparked my interest in this hobby, and i was MORTIFIED that she could be so ignorant! she had also just broken up with her bf, and she was keeping his ball python in the same conditions as well.

instead i stayed quiet. i smiled when she pointed the snakes out and i just ate my words. it was like a punch to the gut.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    She actually told me she has her bachelors degree in herpetology. I don't believe it after what I saw, and if it is true then she needs to have that diploma revoked!
    All having a degree demonstrates is that you can retain information, recall it and then regurgitate it on paper. That's why everyone has one lol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-19-2018),Spink (06-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Glad they are with you now. Sad they had to take the hard road to get there. Can't wait to see pics!

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Spink (06-20-2018)

Thanks

I decided to take pictures a little too late. I just wanted to get them out of their filthy tanks and get the tanks all cleaned up and sanitized. I'll include one picture of just a small portion of how nasty the tanks were. The picture does no justice of how bad it really was. When they calm down and settle into their new homes I'll take them out and get some good pictures and post them on the photos section of this forum.

Here are just a couple pics for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spink For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-19-2018),glasspassages (07-11-2018),Sonny1318 (06-20-2018),the_rotten1 (06-20-2018),tttaylorrr (06-19-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast