Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,106

0 members and 3,106 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Bioactive substrates

My vet has told me that the substrate I am using (Reptibark) is appropriate; however, he has suggested that I consider a bioactive substrate. He says the bioactive substrates need to be cleaned less frequently, but when I think bioactive substrate, I just imagine a nightmare in my head. Wouldn't it be more difficult to clean? Wouldn't Alice just dig under the substrate, ripping up any live plants I may try to keep with her? I understand the benefits of a bioactive substrate; it just doesn't sound realistically plausible to do. It may need to be cleaned less frequently, but it DOES need to be cleaned, doesn't it? And again, the possible digging concerns me.

Does anybody have experience with bioactive substrates? Please share your experience, if you do. Why do you love it? Why do you hate it? I wanna know everything! The good. The bad. And the ugly.

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks
    I use it, i love it, i couldnt imagine going back to something less.

I clean less, it looks and smells way better too.

If you throw a quick image search you can find some bioactive pics that will blow your mind out of your face.

Besides a more natural environment is better for your critter, and shouldnt it be your goal to provide it with the best care you can?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Apiratenamedjohn For This Useful Post:

rottn (06-19-2018)

Thanks

Re: Bioactive substrates

Quote Originally Posted by Apiratenamedjohn View Post
    I use it, i love it, i couldnt imagine going back to something less.

I clean less, it looks and smells way better too.

If you throw a quick image search you can find some bioactive pics that will blow your mind out of your face.

Besides a more natural environment is better for your critter, and shouldnt it be your goal to provide it with the best care you can?
    I've seen pics, and yes they are amazing. But doesn't your snake burrow/dig into the substrate? And doesn't your snake destroy your plants by burrowing? I sincerely am curious about this. Thanks for your input!

Thanks

Re: Bioactive substrates

Quote Originally Posted by rottn View Post
    I've seen pics, and yes they are amazing. But doesn't your snake burrow/dig into the substrate? And doesn't your snake destroy your plants by burrowing? I sincerely am curious about this. Thanks for your input!

My bp doesnt burrow into the soil like a hognose or something would. He expanded his cave or where ever he is by pushing a little soil around. But that is about it. With plants, i used a large variety and the only ones i had trouble with were the larger leafed wandering jews. Too fragile.

Of course if your bp decides it is nap time on a plant therr isnt much you can do. Mine is a 48" bioactive that is overplanted if anything. He does fine as do most of the plants.

My hognose is also in a 48" bioactive. He digs. The plants are fine. He did tear up the elephant feed though. He hated those plants for whatever reason. I used bonsaid plants in that one. This fall im gonna prune and train too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Apiratenamedjohn For This Useful Post:

rottn (06-19-2018)

Thanks
    Alice is always climbing all over the plastic plants, and constantly knocking them off the glass. She's all over everything! I swear she's like a bull in a china shop after the lights go out. LOL

I will keep researching the bioactive idea, and give it careful consideration. But your input really does help me. Thank you very much!