Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,518

0 members and 3,518 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: CHE thermostat

Thanks

CHE thermostat

I thought I saw a thread on here talking about it but can’t seem to find it. If you have a CHE how do you set the thermostat for it like where did you place the probe and how did you secure it. I have my bp in a 40 gallon breeder, if that helps, with an uth and the Che for ambient temps. I feel like the way I have the thermostat probe now is inefficient and I want to make sure that it’s doing its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Che

I had two thermostats; one to control the CHE and one for the UTH, on the warm/opposite side.

For the CHE, you want the probe abt the same level of the snake, but keep in mind, it you tape it to the side of the tank, it won't be AS accurate, b/c it'll read temp of the glass from the outside.

Mine was under the bedding of the hide, where Crystal usually stayed...but bedding is only abt 1-2" deep (or tape to inside top of hide?). That'll give an ambient reading of his environment when he's in the hide.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Re: Che

Quote Originally Posted by sweety314 View Post
    I had two thermostats; one to control the CHE and one for the UTH, on the warm/opposite side.

For the CHE, you want the probe abt the same level of the snake, but keep in mind, it you tape it to the side of the tank, it won't be AS accurate, b/c it'll read temp of the glass from the outside.

Mine was under the bedding of the hide, where Crystal usually stayed...but bedding is only abt 1-2" deep (or tape to inside top of hide?). That'll give an ambient reading of his environment when he's in the hide.
    Sorry to criticize but this is dangerous advice. You should NEVER have tape inside of the enclosure period. Suggesting such is extremely hazardous to the snake and could cause serious and even fatal injuries. As for thermostat placement, it honestly should NOT be where your snake can reach it. Under the bedding does not prevent snakes from dislodging it or peeing/pooping on it which can cause dangerous temperature spikes.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Kira (06-18-2018),redshepherd (06-18-2018),Sonny1318 (06-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: CHE thermostat

What I've done in testing (preparation for my husbands giant day gecko) is to put the probe on top of the screen beneath the bulb or hanging just inside the cage 2 or 3 inches below the lid. Dial in the temperature you're looking for accordingly. I like to measure with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HD...op_mb_pd_title or my temp gun.

We've moved on to a dome lamp that has a built in rheostat now, so we dialed in with no probe and just adjusted accordingly on the dial.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003H...op_mb_pd_title

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Jamieleann44 (06-18-2018),MissterDog (06-18-2018)

Thanks

Re: CHE thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by Jamieleann44 View Post
    I thought I saw a thread on here talking about it but can’t seem to find it. If you have a CHE how do you set the thermostat for it like where did you place the probe and how did you secure it. I have my bp in a 40 gallon breeder, if that helps, with an uth and the Che for ambient temps. I feel like the way I have the thermostat probe now is inefficient and I want to make sure that it’s doing its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everything explained in one picture

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (06-19-2018),Jamieleann44 (06-19-2018),tttaylorrr (06-19-2018)