Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,267

1 members and 3,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Underfed?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Underfed?

So my little guy ate his first meal this past Thursday. Adult mouse. I took him out to handle for 3 minutes/change water bowl. He didn’t seem to stressed being out but looked skinny. I noticed I could see his spine and read that could be a sign of underfed snakes. I put him back and figured I would offer another mouse. I offered the mouse and he star it pretty much instantly. I know generally rule of thumb is 5-7 days but he looked skinny and hadn’t eaten in about 3 weeks before he ate with me. I plan on feeding last live mouse in 5 days then trying the FT rats I have.

1) does he look overly thin?
    2) was it an awful idea to feed him again so soon after last meal?

thanks I’m advanced. Idk what I would do without this forum. Extremely helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Orange Dream x Lemonback x Super Enchi -Damian

Wishlist
    0.1 Corn Island Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    What a pretty boy! He doesn't look skinny to me but I assume this photo is after the 2 mice he just ate? Usually better to only feed one at a time, so
    leave him more time to digest these 2 before offering again. As far as what constitutes "skinny" in a snake, it's not just being able to SEE the backbone
    but if the snake's body looks triangular if you were looking at a cross-section. Either way, I don't think you've done any harm, just let him digest a while.

And fyi, if ever you're going to feed 2 items, you want to do it right away, back to back (or rather tail to nose ), otherwise if you wait a while the second
    one can cause a regurgitation due to inadequate digestive enzymes with 2 items being at different stages of digestion.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-17-2018 at 04:55 PM.