Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,063

2 members and 3,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ball Escaped Out of T8 - Found, but Concerned about Possibly Injuries/The Future

It's 3:30 am in the morning and I was just rudely woken by a massive crash at 3:00am. It was three of my expensive and rare model horses crashing onto my old glass tank and my bike rack at the bottom of the 7 foot bookshelves. Entwined within Smarty Jones hooves was my ~1300 gram, nearly two year old male ball python Virgil.

Calmly I took him and the horse and coaxed him out through the legs, relieved that he didn't seem injured. But I'm concerned. It appears he may have hit the bike rack on the way down. Although the model horse shows no signs of damage (and a 7 foot drop onto a tank and bike rack is more than enough to break a Breyer), I am concerned that Virgil may have taken on more invisible damage than the horse.

Virgil's an idiot and even when I found him seconds after the fall he wasn't balled up, just tensely lying there. Extraction was fairly easy, as it wasn't hard to encourage him to slither out from between the legs. Once he was out, he immediately tried to slowly slither away, tongue going, just as if he was out and about like usual. I wish snakes showed emotions better, but he wasn't balling, and didn't seem tender. However, despite his lack of reaction, I am still concerned about the possibility of broken bones. Should I take him to the vet? I do not know if they are open on Sunday, but I know I could get the day off of work for an emergency. Should I just wait and see how he reacts in the following days?

For now, I've taped up his tank, but I'm scared this could happen again. I'm really lucky that he's an adventurous boy and slithered out of my living room, down the hall, into my messy room, somehow got on top of my 7 foot bookcase, and woke me up. He could have easily hidden in the living room couch and gotten permanently stuck. Or, the cat could have gotten him, who was only a few feet away when I found Virgil on the floor. Thankfully it appears even when I am asleep, Batman is still afraid that if he messes with Virgil he'll get a spray of vinegar.

I have a Animal Plastics T8 tank that I bought sometime around February. It does not have a lock on it, because I didn't think I would need one for a ball python. There was just a large enough crack pushed open through one of the doors for Virgil to get through. I'm not sure how he got out, but I have theories. He likes to place his body against an object when adventuring, and I think his scales may have repeatedly rubbed and stuck to the glass just enough for him to open up a crack to put his nose in. My other idea is that there was bedding slightly accumulated in the corners of the door tracks, and maybe they didn't close all the way, allowing Virgil to wiggle his nose into the space between the tank frame and the door and wedge it open. I have seen him in the past stick his head repeatedly in the crack between the door and the edge of the tank frame, so it wouldn't be out of character. Last theory, the least likely theory because I'm paranoid and generally a very careful person, was that I somehow didn't close the tank all the way. But I listen for the "thunk" as the glass hits the edge of the tank when I close the doors, so I find this unlikely. Still, there is a possibility for everything.

I taped the doors shut heavily, and there's no way he can get out again, but I'm concerned about using tape to hold the enclosure closed because I've been told a million times not to use tape around snakes. I'm just not sure what else to do for now.

I'm going to call Bob at Animal Plastics Monday and ask for his advice, but I also wondered what you guys think. Has anyone ever heard of a ball escaping from a T8? Should I take him to the vet? What actions might you suggest I take?

Thanks

Re: Ball Escaped Out of T8 - Found, but Concerned about Possibly Injuries/The Future

Could this work for you? From your handy dandy Walmart store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Display-S...Long/731182795

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bistem For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (06-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Not sure about the snake being injured but my BP, retic and big boa have all managed to push a door open. I watched them and figured it out. They stick their between the glass and the litter dam at angle almost lined up with the litter dam. Then they pull back which slides the door a little. Then they stick their head on the side of the cage between the glass and side and pull back and kind of use their head like a crowbar lol.

Dottie the BP actually got out once and i found her the next morning under a table.

Rosey slide the door open about 6 inches but didnt come out which was amazing.

And Caesar had just started his door opening when i caught him.

Luckily i have locks installed on all my cages which now i use lol.

AP can probably make you new doors and a front piece with a lock installed. You can talk to Ali. Her husband is Mark i believe but he doesnt talk on the phone. No idea who Bob is. Only Bob I know is the one at Pro Products.

What i would do is just go to Home depot or Lowes and buy a lock or even cheaper is just bend a piece of metal coat hanger into a backwards 'S' where the glass doors would sit in the bends of the 'S' and couldnt be moved.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    If Virgil doesn't seem injured, just wait & observe him closely. Broken bones (ribs) can often be spotted only when a snake slithers a certain way, causing
    a concave area as they slide and curve their body. If he has broken ribs, he shouldn't be handled (broken ribs can cause internal injuries, including fatal bleeding
    if pushed the wrong way) and it should be confirmed by x-ray; if confirmed, you would avoid any handling for as long as the vet suggests it takes for him to heal.

In the absence of obvious signs of injury (bleeding, rapid breathing, lethargy, or anything that seems unusual about his appearance or behavior), it's up to you if
    you want to have him checked out by a vet. Hopefully he's ok. Hope you figure out how to lock his cage though. Sounds like this might have ended even worse.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-17-2018 at 09:57 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: Ball Escaped Out of T8 - Found, but Concerned about Possibly Injuries/The Future

3:30am me switched Bob at Pro Products with Ali at Animal Plastics. Oops!

I woke up this morning with Virgil sleeping on top of his head behind his hot hide, and not in his cold hide like usual. I woke him up and he slithered halfway up my arm, tongue going, before going into his cold hide. He seemed to have no problem bending his body every which way. It does appear he scraped some scales off of the top of his head, but there is no blood, so I'm not incredibly concerned.

I'm going to get a lock installed, but in regards to Virgil I'm going to play the waiting game and see how he does. The nearest reptile vet is 45 minutes away, and Virgil passionately hates curvy car rides on a good day.

Thank you all for your advice. This could have gone a lot worse.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Virgil For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (06-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Locks always get locks! BP's are escape artists just like any other snake. Locks lol
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bistem View Post
    Could this work for you? From your handy dandy Walmart store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Display-S...Long/731182795
    FYI ... Walmart doesn’t carry a lot of stuff on their website anymore to compete with amazon. A lot is from 3rd parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As of July, 31st, 2018... (I think)
    1.0.0 - Albino Pastel Black Pastel Pinstripe -384g ('18)
    1.0.0 - Albino Candy - Candino ('17)
    1.0.0 - Super Pastel Butter ('18)
    1.0.0 - Pastel Calico - 735 ('16)
    1.0.0 - Lesser Pastel - 1344g ('16)
    1.0.0 - Black Pastel - 1680g ('15)
    1.0.0 - Mojave Mystic - Mystic Potion ('16)
    1.0.0 - Spotnose Spider
    1.0.0 - Black Head ('16)
    0.1.0 - Lesser ('14)
    0.1.0 - Orange Dream Pastel Spider - 453g ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pied ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pastel Black Pastel Spider ('16)
    0.1.0 - Hypo Enchi Butter - 310g (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Leopard (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Orange Ghost ('16)
    0.4.0 - Dinker YB ('17/18)
    0.1.0 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('18)
    0.1.0 - Fire YB Brownie - 148g ('18)
    0.1.0 - Columbian Red Tail Boa ('18)
    0.1.0 - Pastel -1 544g ('15)
    0.1.0 - Yellow Belly (rescue) ('13)
    0.1.0 - Wild Type ('16)
    0.1.0 - Spinner
    0.1.0 - Spinner ('18)
    0.0.1 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('17)
    0.0.1 - Wild Type (rescue) ('?)
    0.1.0 - Dinker ('18)
    0.0.1 - Spinner ('17)
    All to probe when I find the time.