Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,198

1 members and 3,197 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Are all rat snakes aggressive?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I own a mandarin rat snake myself and while very different, more active and a quick mover she isn’t aggressive at all. I’ve been tagged by her once and it was the first time I handled her after a few meals and she was and stillis a wee baby and it was totally my fault.

I’ve had her going on 6 months I think and not only is she gorgeous but very mellow every time I handle her. Hasn’t struck at me since that first time when I learned from my mistake and that was that. This species in my experience is a very shy species and she does spend a lot of her time hiding but I do catch her out and about at times. They are a cooler temp snake I don’t even run any heat source on the tank. I’ve heard they can be picky eaters and she went on one 4 week fast during her first shed with me since then she’s been packing away the mice and growing fast. She’s nearly tripled in size since I acquired her.
    This is a question for Philly and Charis regarding Mandarin rat snakes. These guys would be my second choice in a rat snake but I have some reservations. 1)How are there habitat setting it up. 2)I have read they like it much cooler, so do I need a heat source? 3) are male calmer than females? 4) I read they get up to 4feet, is that for both males and females?
    5) are they aggressive as babies or just defensive "nippy"? 6) are they docile and easy going when handling them
    6) are they sqirmey when you handle them, meaning always trying to get away (like corn snakes). 7) are they good eaters? 8) can they live ok in a plastic bin?

And if there is anything you can add please do.....
    I am asking this because I have found a male baby Mandarin (locally) that I can get for $375, so I am thinking about it...
    Last edited by Jus1More; 06-23-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks
    Husbandry is actually very conflicted on them, seems like half the keepers I know of keep them like Oreocryptophis, never above 82 degrees, and pretty humid, with some kind of humidity friendly substrate like peat moss, etc, to more like a standard North American colubrid, aspen or similar, heat spot of 82-88 degrees and most recommend a humid hide all the time. That last is how mine are set up. They were quite difficult to get established in captivity and many died while keepers figured them out. They have a huge range and some areas of it are humid and never get over the low 80s, other areas get into the 90s fairly regularly and are much more arid. My personal theory is that various keepers' success with them and the methods that worked for them, depended greatly on where the original wild caught stock was taken from. So if possible, I always recommend asking what the snake you are looking at is used to and continuing if that seems to be working for that person/snake.

My male was bought as a sub adult and is a different locality than my female. He is our second largest colubrid, tied with our adult Honduran, at around 6 feet. My female was a hatchling when we got her and is about 3 and a half to 4 feet long, she is as big or slightly smaller than most of my adult corn snakes. Neither of them have been bitey at any point, though the male is very food motivated and I'm always cautious with him. So far, he actually seems pretty good at telling the difference between human and prey though. No huge difference in temperament between them. I think the size difference is due to locality rather than gender as well. My male is a great eater, nothing puts him off his feed. The female has gone through a few fasts.

They do exhibit one behavior that is more consistent with Old World rats than New World rats. When they are nervous or scared, they want to wrap the last third of their body around something, an arm works really well, and will hold the rest of their body in a ready S shape away and unsupported. They are ready to flinch away or attack whatever scared them that way. It's important to let them get a good hold to get into that posture, otherwise they will freak out and flail all over. If allowed to hold the posture awhile, with nothing further scaring them, they will relax and go back to calmly exploring. Like all colubrids, they can be fast when they want to be but mine are generally pretty calm.
    A plastic bin should work fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charis For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (06-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

I second much of what was said above by the other fellow MRS owner... however we are keeping ours opposite. Where as they mentioned two ways, I keep mine the first way. No heat source and always under 80 degrees.

I got mine through a shop which is owned by a guy who has been around for a long time. He claims to have connections with many old herpers such as Vin Russo etc and always has very solid stock from what I can tell. He said he grabbed a few MRS from a friend of his who has been breeding them for quite some time and selectively breeding them for their red sides. I guess depending on locality or type there are ones that can get very red on the side. The one I have is from some line breeding of such and you can easily tell. After each shed the sides get redder and redder.

I do try to keep my humidity in the mid 70s. Mine is in a 1x1x1 glass enclosure and has always had perfect sheds. It went off feed once for a few weeks but it was right when the weather seemed to really change here and it was also going through shed but other than that wats fine but I leave the prey near it’s hide and it’s gone by morning. When I have tried to offer food it would defensively strike and then run.

I also second the tail wrapping. Mine is young. I believe it’s only 6-7 months old and last weight was about 50g when I got it it was 16.

I was always told to keep it cool and so that’s what I have done.

I’ve never had an aggressive issue besides the first handling and I was verrrrry green and feel I made the mistake and that’s why I got a quick tag. I think many snakes if not all are crazy defensive as babies then once that natural instinct breaks them and you bond with them and handle them right they will be fine with moderate handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Charis (06-24-2018),Jus1More (06-24-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Charis and Philly for taking the time and responding. Your information has been a big help! Still debating between the Trans Pecos and Mandarin. To be truthful, I am in love with those big eyes the TP rat snake has, and even though I love the colors of the Mandarins, I would be nervous about keeping a proper habitat with the cooler temps and humidity. I think i found a breeder here in Canada who has a male & female blonde trans pecos. And with it still being within Canada, there is no middleman at the border. Still nervous though about shipping. But I am going to contact the breeder on Monday to get more details. Any how... my journey continues! Would it be ok to PM you both to chit chat more in detail??? Wanted to ask first

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH Charis and Philly for taking the time and responding. Your information has been a big help! Still debating between the Trans Pecos and Mandarin. To be truthful, I am in love with those big eyes the TP rat snake has, and even though I love the colors of the Mandarins, I would be nervous about keeping a proper habitat with the cooler temps and humidity. I think i found a breeder here in Canada who has a male & female blonde trans pecos. And with it still being within Canada, there is no middleman at the border. Still nervous though about shipping. But I am going to contact the breeder on Monday to get more details. Any how... my journey continues! Would it be ok to PM you both to chit chat more in detail??? Wanted to ask first
    Anytime!

also don’t worry about shipping.

All but one of my animals have been shipped and they have all been fine and it’s been an easy process

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Would it be ok to PM you both to chit chat more in detail??? Wanted to ask first
    Sure! I'd be happy to chat more about them or even the Trans Pecos.

Thanks

Here are some pics I took of him today. He’s 47g. Putting on a solid 15-20g a month. His prey size is soon to be upped. He can be cage defensive. Once he’s moving he’s easy to pick up and once out he’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-25-2018),Charis (06-25-2018),dakski (06-25-2018),Jus1More (06-26-2018),Prognathodon (06-25-2018),richardhind1972 (06-25-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Look great,colours are so cool

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Very nice Philly!! You can see the red along the sides - very beautiful snake

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to address the OP's question. I have a regular black ratsnake (albino). I got her when she was a hatchling, she's now about 9 months old. She is extremely gentle and docile. She's also very playful and curious. I have seen videos of aggressive ratsnakes, and I'm sure there is an inborn personality factor .. but the key is to hold them daily, and especially get them used to lifting up the hide and taking them out so they don't feel threatened by this. My snake has never snapped at me, "rattled' her tail, or musked at me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-18-2018)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast