Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,406

1 members and 1,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Finally started on a double viv

I finally got started on a double vivarium setup for my pair of sumatrans since my female is starting to get a little large for her tub if I keep a swimming pool in there for her. I’m building each level to be 4’ wide, 2’ deep, and 18” tall. Making the frame out of 1x4 pine, with a 1x6 between the levels to give a bit more area to both build up a bedding layer and more room for the door hinges.
    The next step once I get done framing it out is to sheet the outside with luan while pulling everything square, insulate with 3/4” foam board, wrap 12” heat tape around one end and the back, then line the inside with 1/8” plastic or pvc sheeting of some sort. I feel like it should work fine to put the heat tape behind the plastic lining if I silicone it down snuggly so the heat transfers straight through the plastic with no air gap that would allow it to build heat. I plan to ventilate using small diameter pvc pipe inserted through the layers towards the top. The last step will be to add the doors that will be hinges across the bottomwith latches across top. I haven’t decided between the plexiglass type or real glass.

I’ll keep posting progress pics as I go if interested.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kroberts10 For This Useful Post:

Apiratenamedjohn (06-16-2018),CottonMouth (06-21-2018),pretends2bnormal (06-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: Finally started on a double viv

I got a bit further tonight. All the framing is done. The outside has been coated with 1/4” birch plywood. The insulation has been fit but still needs glued in. I have most of the top tanks liner cut and ready to be glued in also. Next step will be to finish cutting the liner pieces. Then I’ll spray paint them a satin brown so it’s not a bright,, shiny white. I went with shower panels for the liner.

Kyle

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kroberts10 For This Useful Post:

CottonMouth (06-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Finally started on a double viv

the heat tape is in and the liner all in place. I’m gonna let it dry for a day. Then I’ll put in the vents and seal the joints. Once the hinges get in I’ll set up the jam for the doors.

Kyle

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kroberts10 For This Useful Post:

CottonMouth (06-21-2018)