Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,979

2 members and 2,977 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Will power, I do not have...

Very nice indeed .
    congratulations on getting that little stunner can’t wait to watch her grow up
    You definitely gonna love boas

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Haha, well I'm glad you grabbed it because i really didnt have the cash for it but after seeing it, i probably couldnt have let it go either haha. I have everything for another snake except the snake. Problem is I still need to pay off Pat's cage next month as it ships end of next month and i also need to still call Bob at Pro Products and pay and have him ship a RHP to AP. Also need to get a hold of Dave at S3D for 4 sets of perch holders and an elevated water bowl holder. Plus my freakin drill died on me so i need to buy a new one of those....and yes...i still need a chest freezer hahaha.

Anyway, grats again man. Like i told you, that boa is awesome looking. I love how clean his sides are and how symmetrical and connected his saddles are as well as the clean side medallions. Good looking boy.

And you with a boa is like me with a GTP. Took me about 30 years to finally get one after seeing them in books as a 12 year old kid and saying "I want one of those!!".

Be prepared for a slowwwwww grower lol. Gina was about 2 feet when i got her. Now almost 1.5 years later and she is about 3 feet lol. Compared to Caesar who was about 2 feet when i got him and 2 years later, he is 8 feet haha. It's a completely different world with boas.

Do it right though and start him off on mice, none of this rat pinkies. All those pre weaned stuff is just a jellybean of milk and fat. I would guess he is already on small hopper mice.
    Yep, he’s on f/t fuzzies weekly but they said he’d be ready for hoppers soon. I’ll start on fuzzies to hoppers every week to 10 days for the first handful of months or so and gradually spread out the schedule as prey size increases. I honestly think he’ll be kinda small as his dad didn’t look to be much more than ~5’ I’d guess and is about 5years old. And yeah it will be weird going from 3 fast growing, busy body pythons (aside from Geoffrey hahaha) to a boa whose growth rate could nearly be tracked geologically lol.
    And something I hadn’t considered regarding the quarantine set up... quarantine will have to be in my bedroom because it’s the least trafficked and easiest-to-close-off room in the apt. It’s also the coolest temperature room I have. ~75*. I may actually have to poach Geoffrey’s T8 for QT in order to use the heat panel, unless I can McGuyver some heat tape to the lid of the tub to boost the ambient a degree or two? That feels dicey though. If only I had ordered Phyllis or Gerald a new cage sooner... will be fine though. The living room is 77* generally and I live alone so it’s not that much traffic really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Very nice indeed .
    congratulations on getting that little stunner can’t wait to watch her grow up
    You definitely gonna love boas

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Thanks Richard! I’m pretty excited to meet the little guy. Too bad I’m out and about most of next week, otherwise I’d have him sooner. Gonna go see a couple awesome concerts in Birmingham, AL and then go to New Orleans for the weekend. GIMMEEALLTHEGUMBO!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (06-15-2018)

Thanks

Will power, I do not have...

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Best of the best, Anything that Gus had a hand in is top notch. Congrats my man. Huge pickup
    Thank you, brother. Another justification was that I’m probably maxed at 4 snakes, unless I breed Phyllis and Gerald at some point, and I’ve never had a boa before. 3 pythons and one new world constrictor is the roster for now. And since you’re maxed at 4 I’d give you another poki vicariously through me and I’ll keep appreciating carpets the same through you and ziggy lol!
    I think that’s the proper number of snakes between the three of us, right? 4-4-8?

Last edited by jmcrook; 06-15-2018 at 02:48 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Yep, he’s on f/t fuzzies weekly but they said he’d be ready for hoppers soon. I’ll start on fuzzies to hoppers every week to 10 days for the first handful of months or so and gradually spread out the schedule as prey size increases. I honestly think he’ll be kinda small as his dad didn’t look to be much more than ~5’ I’d guess and is about 5years old. And yeah it will be weird going from 3 fast growing, busy body pythons (aside from Geoffrey hahaha) to a boa whose growth rate could nearly be tracked geologically lol.
    And something I hadn’t considered regarding the quarantine set up... quarantine will have to be in my bedroom because it’s the least trafficked and easiest-to-close-off room in the apt. It’s also the coolest temperature room I have. ~75*. I may actually have to poach Geoffrey’s T8 for QT in order to use the heat panel, unless I can McGuyver some heat tape to the lid of the tub to boost the ambient a degree or two? That feels dicey though. If only I had ordered Phyllis or Gerald a new cage sooner... will be fine though. The living room is 77* generally and I live alone so it’s not that much traffic really

Well using heat tape on the side or top is doable. A lot of guys use heat tape on the side for neonate GTP tubs.

As for ambient temps, 77F isnt bad but I wouldnt want it to drop from there. Like i said, i keep the cage temps on all my snakes anywhere from 77-80F and they spend most of the time on the cool side anyways. But like i said, I wouldnt want it to drop lower.

You could poach the T8 from Geoffrey's and put him in a tub with heat tape on the floor of the cage. But again, i wouldnt want it to get below 77F although he could handle a drop much better than a baby boa.

Time to order another T8 for Geoffrey lol.

And i personally wouldnt worry too much about the traffic. Boas are kind of like retics, they arent really too scared. just give him a couple appropriate hides and he should be fine.

For feeding with Gina, i fed her every week when she was on small hoppers and as the mouse size increased, so did the time frame. By the time she was on adult mice, she was eating every 14 days. And now that she is on weaned rats, she gets those every 2 weeks as well.

You will know when they get hungry as they will be out at night creeping around lol. i catch Louie and Gina out creeping around on the plants and shelf or sitting on the litter dam when it gets close to dinner day. Same with Luna who is supposed to be an ambush predator lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 06-15-2018 at 02:50 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-15-2018)

Thanks

Thank you, brother. Another justification was that I’m probably maxed at 4 snakes, unless I breed Phyllis and Gerald at some point, and I’ve never had a boa before. 3 pythons and one new world constrictor is the roster for now. And since you’re maxed at 4 I’d give you another poki vicariously through me and I’ll keep appreciating carpets the same through you and ziggy lol!
    I think that’s the proper number of snakes between the three of us, right? 4-4-8?

8? If you mean me, i got 9 lol. I plan on one more. I'm like Ziggy in that i want a nice round number....so 10 sounds good lol. Plus what the heck is one more mouth to feed when you are talking 9 snakes already.....well once i have a chest freezer haha.

Thats why i gotta be picky. i keep bouncing from another BCC to another SD retic to a woma to another GTP to an ETB to a BHP lol. It will probably boil down to what grabs when i got the cash in hand......although right now, a nice pinched saddled golden topped Peruvian BCC sounds really nice haha. Another retic sounds like work. I have no idea how you havent gone crazy with 2 push crazy retics. Caesar was driving me up a wall with scuffed chins and fat lips when he was younger and pushing....
    Last edited by Sauzo; 06-15-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Thanks
    Oh also one other thing.....I will probably be crucified but you know, I have actually been thinking of a Clown BP too lol. Always liked them but like i said, my want changes between the snakes i listed above daily haha.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-15-2018),Sonny1318 (06-15-2018)

Thanks

Well using heat tape on the side or top is doable. A lot of guys use heat tape on the side for neonate GTP tubs.

As for ambient temps, 77F isnt bad but I wouldnt want it to drop from there. Like i said, i keep the cage temps on all my snakes anywhere from 77-80F and they spend most of the time on the cool side anyways. But like i said, I wouldnt want it to drop lower.

You could poach the T8 from Geoffrey's and put him in a tub with heat tape on the floor of the cage. But again, i wouldnt want it to get below 77F although he could handle a drop much better than a baby boa.

Time to order another T8 for Geoffrey lol.

And i personally wouldnt worry too much about the traffic. Boas are kind of like retics, they arent really too scared. just give him a couple appropriate hides and he should be fine.

For feeding with Gina, i fed her every week when she was on small hoppers and as the mouse size increased, so did the time frame. By the time she was on adult mice, she was eating every 14 days. And now that she is on weaned rats, she gets those every 2 weeks as well.

You will know when they get hungry as they will be out at night creeping around lol. i catch Louie and Gina out creeping around on the plants and shelf or sitting on the litter dam when it gets close to dinner day. Same with Luna who is supposed to be an ambush predator lol.
    I want to stay loyal to AP, but if I were to get a T8 right now, i might try out one of the reptile basics cages. Would be way faster if I just needed a quick fix. Really, I could just keep the apt warmer. Thermostat is in the hall with no windows so it’s cooler there. Set at 75* the living room is 77* and so is the snake room. Can’t put new guy in there because of quarantine though, which will be tough as it is. I could set the AC to 76-77* and run some fans and sweat out the better part of summer lol...
    Also need to have another herpstat on backup. I’ve got an open outlet on one but, quarantine. Have to use my backup jumpstart for the moment. Knew I should have bought another redline 2 during their last sale

Thanks

Oh also one other thing.....I will probably be crucified but you know, I have actually been thinking of a Clown BP too lol. Always liked them but like i said, my want changes between the snakes i listed above daily haha.
    You should see some of the clown stuff my buddy has bred. He made axanthic clowns last year that were totally bonkers. Awesome looking animals. Checkout cjspets.com. Pretty much just does ball pythons anymore but had GTPs locked up this season and some cool colubrid projects. Check out the Nile Ball and Sugar Nile Ball. Both combos that he was the first to make.

Thanks

I want to stay loyal to AP, but if I were to get a T8 right now, i might try out one of the reptile basics cages. Would be way faster if I just needed a quick fix. Really, I could just keep the apt warmer. Thermostat is in the hall with no windows so it’s cooler there. Set at 75* the living room is 77* and so is the snake room. Can’t put new guy in there because of quarantine though, which will be tough as it is. I could set the AC to 76-77* and run some fans and sweat out the better part of summer lol...
    Also need to have another herpstat on backup. I’ve got an open outlet on one but, quarantine. Have to use my backup jumpstart for the moment. Knew I should have bought another redline 2 during their last sale

Oh, well if the temps now are being pushed down by AC, then yeah, just throw the BCC in the AP cage and turn down the AC and sweat it until you get a new cage.

Well you do know RBI cages i believe only offer drop down acrylic door FYI. Plus with another T8, you can stack them for a cleaner look. But i hear ya on the shipping time lol.

As for another T-stat, just go for broke and order a Herpstat 4 since you have 4 snakes. Then if for some reason you end up with another snake, you will have a back up T-stat. But the Jumpstart will work too. i use them for my quarantine tanks.

You should see some of the clown stuff my buddy has bred. He made axanthic clowns last year that were totally bonkers. Awesome looking animals. Checkout cjspets.com. Pretty much just does ball pythons anymore but had GTPs locked up this season and some cool colubrid projects. Check out the Nile Ball and Sugar Nile Ball. Both combos that he was the first to make.

Nice. Will do. It's more of i like them but they are BPs at the end of the day and will spend like 99% of the time in a hide hahaha.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (06-15-2018)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast