Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,023

2 members and 3,021 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ambient heat and belly heat question?

My BP has an UTH on a thermostat. The thermostat is set to 95f to compensate for the few degrees lost through the glass and substrate (the probe is sandwiched between the glass and UTH). Temp gun on hot side reads about 90f.

My problem is that my thermometer reads an ambient temp of around 82-83f on the hot side, sometimes a bit more, but all in all usually the same temp as the cold side. I know that UTHs aren't for upping ambient temps, but is this okay? I have a lamp I could use if it's that much of a problem, but I think that might kill my humidity.

Technically I have a hotspot of 90f, but it's belly heat. Is belly heat sufficient enough? What do you guys think?
    Last edited by 55fingers; 06-14-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Those ambient temps are totally fine! There's nothing wrong with them.

You should be measuring the temp against the glass though, not above the substrate. The snake will push aside the substrate and lay on the glass eventually. Probably just set the thermostat a degree or two lower and it would be fine.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-14-2018 at 06:32 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

55fingers (06-14-2018),Bogertophis (06-14-2018)

Thanks

Re: Ambient heat and belly heat question?

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    My BP has an UTH on a thermostat. The thermostat is set to 95f to compensate for the few degrees lost through the glass and substrate (the probe is sandwiched between the glass and UTH). Temp gun on hot side reads about 90f.

My problem is that my thermometer reads an ambient temp of around 82-83f on the hot side, sometimes a bit more, but all in all usually the same temp as the cold side. I know that UTHs aren't for upping ambient temps, but is this okay? I have a lamp I could use if it's that much of a problem, but I think that might kill my humidity.

Technically I have a hotspot of 90f, but it's belly heat. Is belly heat sufficient enough? What do you guys think?
    I keep my ambient at 80 and my belly heat at 90, so your temps seem fine to me. I would bring the ambient down a few degrees but I don't know that it's necessary.

I am concerned when you say that you set your UTH thermostat to 95 to compensate for heat loss through the substrate. You should be measuring your belly heat directly on the bottom glass inside the viv, not on top of the substrate. Your BP will eventually move whatever substrate you have and come in direct contact with the bottom glass. The temperature of the bottom glass should be set at 90.

Don't worry if the substrate lowers the temp a few degrees. If your BP wants more heat, he'll dig down to the glass.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Should be fine. I keep all my snakes with a cage temp/ambient temp of 77-80F with a 11x24 piece of flexwatt set to around 88-90F and my snakes still dont sit on the warm side that often.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanks for the help! I'll be sure to measure the temp on the glass as well. I'm using eco earth and to be fair there's not much covering the glass anyway (I used a whole block of it and it only just covers the bottom of the tank) so I doubt that it's that much of a temperature difference, but better be safe than sorry.

I was worried that 82-83 was too cold, so I'm glad to hear it's okay. I'm thinking I'm gonna set the thermostat lower by a couple degrees, just to be safe.

Thanks
    Well, you will know if the snake likes it warmer. If the snake is ALWAYS on the warm side, then the cool side is a little too cool. But from my experience, i find most snakes that people say are 'tropical' seem to actually like it around 80F. At least all my snakes do. Like i said, i very rarely see them on the warm side on the flexwatt unless they are shedding, otherwise they spend a good portion of their time on the 77-80F cool side.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Like i said, i very rarely see them on the warm side on the flexwatt unless they are shedding, otherwise they spend a good portion of their time on the 77-80F cool side.
    Do BPs tend to hang out on the warm side more if they're in shed? I didn't think temps had much to do with shedding. Huh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    Do BPs tend to hang out on the warm side more if they're in shed? I didn't think temps had much to do with shedding. Huh.
    All of my snakes tend to sit inside the warm hide on the flexwatt when in shed. I think it might have to do with them feeling a little cooler with the fluid between their new skin and the old skin aka the 'blue' which is actually body liquid. That's why if you grab a very fresh shed, you will notice it is all wet.

I equate it like when you get out of a swimming pool and feel kind of chilled until the water on your body warms up from the sun etc.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

55fingers (06-14-2018),Spechal (06-15-2018)