Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,213

1 members and 2,212 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Unhappy Seriously, why did it have to be mites?! (Disinfecting Too Much?)

Hello everyone! I hope you're having a great time of the day.

I have 2 snakes, both ball pythons; one female super mojave(Luna) and one male Banana/Coral Glow(Monty). Both are less than a year old.

I took out Luna today and noticed she had mites! I disinfected her enclosure and all the decorations throughly, threw away the substrate and all other things she had and left her with a paper towel substrate and the simpliest looking hide and water bowl. I got Natural Chemistry's Reptile Spray and I wiped her down as well as spray it all over her enclosure and things except for the water bowl, which I made sure had no traces of the spray whatsoever. I wiped my other snake (due to space limitations they both share a room but are fairly far away from each other) and preventively sprayed around his enclosure as well. I've been checking on Luna every now and then in case the spray is too strong for her and I see signs of weird behaviour, however I haven't been able to find out what would be the signs that'd indicate she's intoxicated. I wanted to know if anyone got any signs I should look out for, Thank you!

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    There's a few different signs. Snakes can be affected differently. If you notice anything odd in your snakes behavior, that is something to monitor.
    You may not even notice anything different at first either.... But here are some things to watch out for.

One is the snake will be very agitated. Lots of moving around, not staying still, bumping stuff over.
    Another is the stargazing or loss of balance. They start rolling tier heads back in odd ways or coil the first half of thier body upside down.
    Another is lethargy. They are just listless and limp.

The 2nd and 3rd are not good. Go to a vet immediately.
    For the first, sometimes a simple bath with dawn dish soap to get the mite product off and a simple temporary housing with no spray will help.

Make sure to follow the instructions so that you don't risk an overdose. Mites can be scary! But don't over react and risk injury to your scaled friends

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

thvkfn4nw (06-14-2018)

Thanks

Red face Re: Seriously, why did it have to be mites?! (Disinfecting Too Much?)

Thank you for the info! Right now I just checked on her and saw her going around but I don't know if it's because of the mite stuff or because her stuff is gone and the look of the cage is more open and simple than what she had previously. I'll check on her again throughout the day and be mindful of the symptoms you mentioned