Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,608

1 members and 2,607 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pastel spider or bumblebee?

Or something else? Not my pics but talking to the owner via email. So these are the best I've got :laugh: I'm debating picking him up to eventually pair with my OD spider female.

00v0v_g5D6ygSvYoD_600x450 by nathan doty, on Flickr

00000_eDpUKRpvCDw_1200x900 by nathan doty, on Flickr
    Last edited by Indy; 06-13-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    a funky Super Pastel? there's no Spider in that animal...unless i'm blind. i don't know the Spider gene too well.

EDIT: that's a really pretty Super Pastel, btw.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 06-13-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Re: Pastel spider or bumblebee?

All I'm seeing is a Super Pastel. Very pretty, nice contrast, and awesome blushing up the sides.

EDIT: Breeding spider to spider can sometimes be fatal to the offspring. So it's not really a bad thing, per se, that it's not a spider... just don't let them charge you for a bumblebee when it isn't. The nice thing is that if it's a super, all of the babies will be pastel at the very least.
    Last edited by ladywhipple02; 06-13-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No Spider involved BTW Pastel Spider and Bumblebee are the same thing.

If you plan on breeding start with good stocks it will make a difference in the future, that means knowing what you are getting and knowing the lineage.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-13-2018),PitOnTheProwl (06-14-2018),rufretic (06-13-2018)

Thanks
    That's what I was thinking but more eyes than mine is always a good thing, especially since I'm just getting back into them. Things have changed quite a bit since I got out and I'm not relying on my dusty brain alone :laugh: The color to me looks great and the pattern a little non typical. My first thought was "pretty snake, I wonder what it really is!" Followed by "I wonder if there has been a little extra orange induced by a little photoshop genetics".

But we'll see if I decide to face to face with him or not. I ended up with a pretty female OD spider as a rescue just a few weeks ago and my son has become enamored with snakes, and then my old brain starts working again. I don't want to become a 'BREEDER' but breeding for interesting results is fun. I came across this one and also a very pretty lesser male that I think would combine well with my female eventually and I'm going back and forth about doing a future breeding or just having a pet snake with my son.

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks

A lesser dream bee is a gorgeous animal... http://www.worldofballpythons.com/mo...ser-dream-bee/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    A lesser dream bee is a gorgeous animal... http://www.worldofballpythons.com/mo...ser-dream-bee/
    Well, there goes my wallet...

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    I don’t want to make this a post about breeding ethics but I personally never understood why people breed rescues. I understand that it’s fun to see what you get and the babies can still be pretty but your adding to an already flooded market where a lot of these babies will not be in demand. If you plan to keep them all for yourself, that’s different. But if you need to find homes for these animals it’s like your creating more rescues. Without knowing the genetics, it’s just not a good idea to breed imo. If your serious about trying to breed for the fun of it, invest a little into a couple animals that are quality and have known genetics so the offspring will also be quality and have known genetics. This way at least your creating animals that will be in demand and shouldn’t have a hard time finding them a good home. Nothing wrong with rescuing unknown animals but I think they should be kept as pets and not used to create more rescue situations.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-13-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (06-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    As for this animal, it’s not a spider pastel/bumblebee (same thing), it has no spider as others have said. My guess is super pastel. It’s very pretty but I still wouldn’t use it for breeding because we just don’t know what it is for sure. It would make a beautiful pet though.

Thanks
    I can see your point and I don't plan on being a breeder again. However in the grand scheme of things how many morphs that exist, only do so because someone else said "that one looks neat, let's see what happens!" Nerd wouldn't exist in the ball world if they stuck to proven lines, and every ball would be a normal. Instead we have pastels and spiders, and the bees, orange dream etc etc etc. These only a couple that I can think of that were found in the wild and then bred out.

I don't actually know if that's true about nerd. I dont know what their business model was but they were the first that jumped into my head, used to have a couple of their morph hets. :laugh:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast