Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

0 members and 2,820 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

I think my escaped baby corn died :(

I hate to say it and I've torn through my room and looked in all the warm, dark areas... my baby cornsnake managed to get out of her viv while I was at work 2 days ago...
    I have a ball python in my room also in a seperate tank, she is shedding but anyways, she is trying to get out and she keeps flicking her tongue I'm not sure if she's sensing my other snake has died, I'm not sure what to do...

What are the odds of my baby corn who has been missing for 2 nights, being dead? And what kind of smell should I look for? Or places to look

any info would be greatly appreciated. I can't tell if it's normal ball behavior while shedding or if it's something really bad :-(

Thanks

Re: I think my escaped baby corn died :(

I’d doubt she’d die in two days of being out. Try and look through any dark, warm, and/or moist places, as those are the most likely places to look. Check everywhere, especially in the most preposterous of places. In between books, in your shirt pocket, in a toilet paper holder, you’d be surprised on where these little boogers can hide. My sister’s corn snake escaped too, but we found her in a box close to her cage. A trick to getting snakes(especially for colubrids) is to put out a heat mat and a hide with some food inside. They’ll seek out the warmth and security of the hide and of course, being a Colubrid, will want to have a tasty snack. Hope this helps and hope you find her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustinGatCat For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-13-2018),mistytheball (06-13-2018),WNC (06-13-2018)

Thanks
    I will do that!

I also just want to add that my ball has been "yawning" which I know they do when they sense a meal which is another reason I'm worried.. she actually managed to slide the lid with her head and I found her on top of her set up. I put a few heavy objects and duct taped the lid on so it should be good for now but I'm not sure this is normal behavior, I've never seen her like this. Could shedding be why?

Sorry this post is so scattered!🤯

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

As already said I would be very surprised if it’s died in a few days
    I had a 6 month snow corn escape in the August and was found till April the next year, this was also in a house two doors up, so he had fed and overwinterd himself thru a British winter
    They do have very good survival skills,
    Luckily the house owners son knew my son and we got him back, considerably bigger than he left
    So don’t give up hope especially after two day
    Good luck

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2018),mistytheball (06-13-2018),Sonny1318 (06-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mistytheball View Post
    I will do that!

I also just want to add that my ball has been "yawning" which I know they do when they sense a meal which is another reason I'm worried.. she actually managed to slide the lid with her head and I found her on top of her set up. I put a few heavy objects and duct taped the lid on so it should be good for now but I'm not sure this is normal behavior, I've never seen her like this. Could shedding be why?

Sorry this post is so scattered!🤯
    Ball Pythons yawn typically after a meal. Has she been fed recently? Or is feeding day drawing near? You might want to invest in better cage security if your snakes are able to free themselves. A couple of heavy objects and duct tape is a halfway decent temporary solution, but in the long run it’s inadequate to say the least. Buy cage locks or enclosures that come with secure cage doors.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JustinGatCat For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (06-13-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-13-2018),fluffykitten (06-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Seen corn be gone for months and be alive. Hang in there.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2018)

Thanks

A friend lost his corn 4 months ago and his neighbor found it chilling in his yard two days ago. That said, I still haven’t found my candino that’s been missing two weeks now. Hang in there.

As of July, 31st, 2018... (I think)
    1.0.0 - Albino Pastel Black Pastel Pinstripe -384g ('18)
    1.0.0 - Albino Candy - Candino ('17)
    1.0.0 - Super Pastel Butter ('18)
    1.0.0 - Pastel Calico - 735 ('16)
    1.0.0 - Lesser Pastel - 1344g ('16)
    1.0.0 - Black Pastel - 1680g ('15)
    1.0.0 - Mojave Mystic - Mystic Potion ('16)
    1.0.0 - Spotnose Spider
    1.0.0 - Black Head ('16)
    0.1.0 - Lesser ('14)
    0.1.0 - Orange Dream Pastel Spider - 453g ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pied ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pastel Black Pastel Spider ('16)
    0.1.0 - Hypo Enchi Butter - 310g (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Leopard (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Orange Ghost ('16)
    0.4.0 - Dinker YB ('17/18)
    0.1.0 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('18)
    0.1.0 - Fire YB Brownie - 148g ('18)
    0.1.0 - Columbian Red Tail Boa ('18)
    0.1.0 - Pastel -1 544g ('15)
    0.1.0 - Yellow Belly (rescue) ('13)
    0.1.0 - Wild Type ('16)
    0.1.0 - Spinner
    0.1.0 - Spinner ('18)
    0.0.1 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('17)
    0.0.1 - Wild Type (rescue) ('?)
    0.1.0 - Dinker ('18)
    0.0.1 - Spinner ('17)
    All to probe when I find the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    So, you're playing "hide & seek" with your baby corn snake? They're really good at this but don't give up...as others already mentioned, they tend to
    survive better than you might imagine. You might leave out a bowl of water to help though...creatures (including us) can survive longer without food
    than without water. Please work on making your cages escape-proof...that's super important. (you don't want to do this again, I'm sure)

You asked about your ball python too: tongue-flicking is normal...snakes do it all the time...their sense of smell is very accurate & their best sense to
    know what's going on, not only for finding food, but that's obviously a big motivator for sure. It's not likely that your BP's tongue flicking is at all related
    to your missing corn snake...your BP would have very little interest in him.

As far as your snake (BP) being in shed & yawning, that's something many snakes do before they shed: it serves to loosen the skin around their jaws,
    which is where they begin to "undress". After your snake sheds, always verify that they got all the old skin off: the places that tend to get stuck are
    the tail tip, the eye caps, and their lower jaw. Old skin that remains in place can cause problems- for example, several sheds left on their tail tip can cut
    off the circulation & cause the tail tip tissue to die.

Welcome to the forum...I hope you find your 'baby' soon & in good shape. Do let us know?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Even really young colubrid can stay alive longer than you think. I had a kingsnake escape in early January weighing only 12 grams. He was gone all the way through the mid-May. Found him at the same weight he disappeared at after finding a shed in a room we dont ever have snake sheds and found him right nearby under a small leather cube automan. He's been doing well ever since. We had given up at around 2 months after turning over everything in all of the rooms on the house with heat sources, water sources, or exits to outside/wild food sources.

Unless you have a cat that might be inclined to hunt a snake out to kill, I highly doubt your corn is dead after only 2 days.

I believe I saw a thread from someone a while back that had a baby corn escape that they found healthy, happy, and adult sized in their basement several years later.

Just keep looking, leave water along the edges of the rooms you think he is most likely to be in (of they hug the edges for security, he will come across it), and maybe try lining doorways with flour or something if you dont have carpet. That'll help you narrow what room or rooms he is moving between to narrow your search.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk