Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,114

1 members and 2,113 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding mice that are too big?

Okay so I recently went to a reptile convention and purchased f/t feeders for my albino cinnamon. The guy selling feeders ran out of adult mice and said if she’s big enough I could go for the jumbos. I miscalculated her girth and hadn’t weighed her since three meals ago. I fed her and it took her about 5 min to fully pass through her mouth/throat. I noticed it’s bigger than her size and I was wondering if there’d be any issues. Should I buy a smaller size for her or continuing feeding jumbos to her?

Here’s a picture after she ate for visuals:

(the hide on top of the black hide is just used for weight since she has a habit of moving it off the heat tape)

Thanks

Re: Feeding mice that are too big?

My .02 would be to go back down a size. She looks really plump from that mouse. But I'm not really up on BP's, I'm only into Retic's and Bloods at the moment.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stout76 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2018),Hannie (06-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stout76 View Post
    My .02 would be to go back down a size. She looks really plump from that mouse. But I'm not really up on BP's, I'm only into Retic's and Bloods at the moment.
    Yeah I just read how this guy made the mistake of feeding his snake two meals that were too big for him and it regurgitated and died. Worst case scenerio and I hope she’s able to fully digest the big guy with no issues. I’ll definitely be going down a size after reading up on such heartbreaking experiences with feeding larger meals.

Thanks

I've fed Pylox one size bigger out of desperation before, and it didn't have any side effects. Not sure about the proportions but your snake and the jumbo mousr look about the same size when I fed it to Pylox. All I did was skip a meal the next week to let her fully digest, then I just continued feeding normally, so maybe you could try that. Not sure if this will work but I hope it helped in some way!

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonald Drump For This Useful Post:

Hannie (06-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tonald Drump View Post
    I've fed Pylox one size bigger out of desperation before, and it didn't have any side effects. Not sure about the proportions but your snake and the jumbo mousr look about the same size when I fed it to Pylox. All I did was skip a meal the next week to let her fully digest, then I just continued feeding normally, so maybe you could try that. Not sure if this will work but I hope it helped in some way!

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk
    That made me less worried! I was planning on skipping out on feeding her next week anyways, since I’ll be going out of state for a bit towards the end of this month. She usually poops sometime within the week before her next meal so I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I would give her extra time to digest since this meal was larger than usual.

What's her weight and what is the weight of the prey?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-20-2018),the_rotten1 (06-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I would give her extra time to digest since this meal was larger than usual.

What's her weight and what is the weight of the prey?
    Yeah I planned on skipping next week’s feeding. Last time I weighed her was some time last month. She was around 200 grams. I’m not sure about the mouse though, I just knew it was a jumbo. I honestly didn’t think it looked much bigger than her until after she went for it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hannie View Post
    Yeah I planned on skipping next week’s feeding. Last time I weighed her was some time last month. She was around 200 grams. I’m not sure about the mouse though, I just knew it was a jumbo. I honestly didn’t think it looked much bigger than her until after she went for it.
    Ok, try to get a weight of both when you can. The "widest part of the body" rule of thumb can be double checked with the "10-15% body weight" rule.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

rottn (06-13-2018),tttaylorrr (06-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    hi OP! i haven't seen any other posts by you except this one, and you've already gotten good advice, so i just wanted to say welcome to the forum!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Yes, welcome! You should also know that "jumbo" mice are older retired breeders, higher in fat & not all that great to feed long-term. If I were you,
    I'd get some regular size mice, and hold off feeding more jumbos for a while, then alternate them with regular mice. We've probably ALL made the same
    "mistake" at some point, feeding a rodent that's bigger than we should have fed...usually the snake gets the job of digesting done, but don't handle for a
    while, & don't rush for the next feeding.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-13-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast