Hi everybody! New to the site and I'm a new ball python mother. Loki is a 3 year old Pastel Super Stripe and I got him on May 31st. Which I've wanted a ball baby for about five years, but was waiting for *the one* to come along. While I always liked particular morphs none ever struck me. Until I went to a local reptile convention where I met him. After some back and forth with the breeder (who happened to be local) worked out a payment plan and got him.
He's currently in a 20 long, with plans to upgrade him! This tank alone is already bigger than the rack he was in and getting used to being in an aquarium, he wouldn't come out and explore for over a week. He has already eaten for me, and pooped. Cool side is about 80 and the warm is in the low 90s. Humidity is consistently 55-60 (that Florida humidity helps).
Sorry if that's too much information, I'm just really excited and want to make sure I'm doing good by him. ANYWAY my question. I'm pretty much nocturnal, usually awake from about 2pm to 4am. So most of my pets are nocturnal so I can enjoy them. So, why is it Loki only comes out when no one is home? I literally just got home from work and he was out exploring his home. I unlocked the top of his cage, in case he wanted to come out. I didn't leave the room. From my couple times handling him, he seems to like being out. But within minutes he was balling back up in his cool hide. And sometimes I'll wake up at 6-7am and he's out. So why is it he's only out when I'm not home or sleeping? Is he still adjusting? Or is it the noise? I thought he'd be out exploring at night.... I'm not a big fan of bright lights, so I rarely have my room light on, it's usually just a standing lamp next to my nightstand, so it's never really bright in my room either. (other than in the daytime when the sun comes in the window)