Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,771

0 members and 2,771 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

View Poll Results: Need to worry?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totally Normal

17 100.00%
  • Something is wrong

0 0%
    Thanks

Question Any Other Nocturnal Ball Python Owners?

Hi everybody! New to the site and I'm a new ball python mother. Loki is a 3 year old Pastel Super Stripe and I got him on May 31st. Which I've wanted a ball baby for about five years, but was waiting for *the one* to come along. While I always liked particular morphs none ever struck me. Until I went to a local reptile convention where I met him. After some back and forth with the breeder (who happened to be local) worked out a payment plan and got him.
    He's currently in a 20 long, with plans to upgrade him! This tank alone is already bigger than the rack he was in and getting used to being in an aquarium, he wouldn't come out and explore for over a week. He has already eaten for me, and pooped. Cool side is about 80 and the warm is in the low 90s. Humidity is consistently 55-60 (that Florida humidity helps).
    Sorry if that's too much information, I'm just really excited and want to make sure I'm doing good by him. ANYWAY my question. I'm pretty much nocturnal, usually awake from about 2pm to 4am. So most of my pets are nocturnal so I can enjoy them. So, why is it Loki only comes out when no one is home? I literally just got home from work and he was out exploring his home. I unlocked the top of his cage, in case he wanted to come out. I didn't leave the room. From my couple times handling him, he seems to like being out. But within minutes he was balling back up in his cool hide. And sometimes I'll wake up at 6-7am and he's out. So why is it he's only out when I'm not home or sleeping? Is he still adjusting? Or is it the noise? I thought he'd be out exploring at night.... I'm not a big fan of bright lights, so I rarely have my room light on, it's usually just a standing lamp next to my nightstand, so it's never really bright in my room either. (other than in the daytime when the sun comes in the window)

Thanks
    it is quieter in the house. he feels more comfortable. mine does it too. especially if I'm being loud in the room he is in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Apiratenamedjohn For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (06-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Any Other Nocturnal Ball Python Owners?

In my opinion ( and experience) Royal pythons usually take far longer than other snakes to settle down and feel safe enough to explore and eat .. also yours could be going into or out of shed mode ??

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2018)

Thanks

Re: Any Other Nocturnal Ball Python Owners?

He explores while you're gone or you're sleeping because Ball Pythons are super sneaky ninjas that are known for their Teenage Mutant Ninja Noodle moves that they do when you're not looking. Totally Normal :3

Oh, and also, Ball Pythons like quiet places, so he may like coming out when the noise has subsided. Mine likes to explore when it's dark, when I'm sleeping, or when it's like 12:00 am.
    Noodle:
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Waffles)

Darling Doggy
    0.1. Bouncy Boxer

"I Walked Through Fire to Save My Life"
    -Sia Furler

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNC For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2018),Zincubus (06-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Welcome to the forum & all the fun and mysteries of keeping snakes.

Thanks

Red face Little update on Loki

Thank you guys for letting me know this is normal. I totally agree with Zincubus, I don't think he was fully relaxed yet. He always balled as deep into his log hide as he could, pressed against the glass. I noticed yesterday that he is now comfortably in the middle of the log and actually peaks out more. I had to do some adjustments to his tank and the whole time he didn't hiss (and he's a hissy baby) and actually poked his head out a bit to see what I was doing. I have a thermostat now! His hot side was wwaaayyyy too hot, but everything is perfect now. But it used to be I'd open his tank and he'd tense up and squish himself deep into his log. I feel bad that I may have caused a bit more stress unintentionally. But he seems to have settled in now and I'm super happy about it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mischiefneko For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (06-17-2018)

Thanks

Question Used to Me Now?

I was going to start another thread but it's still the same kind of question. I'm assuming Loki either likes me or is just very used to me. He doesn't try to hide his face when I come to his terrarium anymore. And I had my light on while I was making my bed and he had a good six inches of his head and "neck" out watching me. Earlier I was watching a movie in the dark and I noticed he was out. He ate the day before yesterday so I know he isn't looking for food.
    Both of these I thought were really strange and the only conclusion I can see is that he's now used to my routine.