Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,915

0 members and 2,915 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Re: So happy tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by chelliex2 View Post
    Ozzy hadn't eat it about 5months. While we knew he was probably ok we were still worried as we hadn't had feeding issues prior and he's only 2.
    My daughter has shed a lot of tears worried about her baby! We went thru the gambit of possible issues, temps, humidity, wrong color mouse?! Sick, stressed... nada. Not remotely interested.

I researched tips and ideas every couple weeks. Yesterday I read a new one, cleaned his tank thoroughly last night. I guess in the wild they move "homes" when they fed taking over the foods home before moving to the next. So, in desperate situations make a *new* tank! Made his tank feel "new" no Ozzy smells, rearranged a bit. We left him alone today (no stress! Nothing new here), extra small mouse (done that one already!) And I asked the pet store staff to place in a container full of gerbil bedding...
    The little stinker ATE! Pet store is gonna have get used to my odd request for gerbil bedding! They looked at me like I was crazy! Lol. Hoping he eats without me deep cleaning his home every dang week though, or I'll be buying a rack so he can switch homes every other week! But hopefully we've broken the fast! He's got a fat little belly tonight and happy 11yr old mommy.

And I'm just glad my baby girl isn't worried about the pet she loves! And wanted share with people who feel the pain! And joy of mice eating. Lol!
    Well I’m glad it worked out for you. And regarding the “new smelling home trick” I thought it was an old trick, but I believe JKobylka Reptiles has claimed to have great luck with it. Glad he ate for you. But I can’t help wondering if it was just time. I have nothing but males, and after 2 years they all pretty much fast. That’s why so many people start to stretch their feeding schedules out as they become older. And mine usually don’t start eating heavy again till late June early July. Happy herping!
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Well I’m glad it worked out for you. And regarding the “new smelling home trick” I thought it was an old trick, but I believe JKobylka Reptiles has claimed to have great luck with it. Glad he ate for you. But I can’t help wondering if it was just time. I have nothing but males, and after 2 years they all pretty much fast. That’s why so many people start to stretch their feeding schedules out as they become older. And mine usually don’t start eating heavy again till late June early July. Happy herping!

Granted we've only had him for a year... but 5 months of missed feedings is a lot of time to research and do tricks! lol. So, it was a new one to us. And sometimes doing SOMETHING feels better than doing nothing. Even though you *know* they are OK.

We were told he was about 1yr old when we acquired him so we did weekly feedings and he never skipped a meal. But maybe with him being more like 2 now... and being able to go 5 months without food obviously... perhaps we should switch to something like bi-weekly feedings. What do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    My 700g boy and my 1kg girl go every other week now. They turn down when offered every week now.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chelliex2 View Post
    Granted we've only had him for a year... but 5 months of missed feedings is a lot of time to research and do tricks! lol. So, it was a new one to us. And sometimes doing SOMETHING feels better than doing nothing. Even though you *know* they are OK.

We were told he was about 1yr old when we acquired him so we did weekly feedings and he never skipped a meal. But maybe with him being more like 2 now... and being able to go 5 months without food obviously... perhaps we should switch to something like bi-weekly feedings. What do you think?
    I don’t think you could do any harm stretching their feedings out 10 to 14 days. You find a lot of the more experienced keepers and breeders on here do the same. It’s definitely a step to take if you want to encourage year round feeding and minimizing fasts. Sorry I took so long to respond.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12