Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,597

1 members and 1,596 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Mites

Thanks

Mites

So I just noticed my boa started soaking. At first I thought it was because she was getting ready to shed since she was in blue. After a couple days I noticed she was doing it non-stop and saw black specs at the bottom of the bowl. My question is where could they have come from and/or why are they bothering her now outta nowhere? She was a re-home about a month ago and just started this behavior when she went blue. So what would be the best way to get rid of them? I also have a ball python but he's clean, just doesn't eat...

Thanks

Re: Mites

Also, the faster I get rid of these things the better. My paranoia is almost at schizophrenic levels and I can feel them crawling on me.

Thanks
    I take some deep calming breathes and remember even tho mites are nasty little devil's it's not the end of the world despite what some of the seniors I take care of say and get a can of Provent a Mite clean like the pope him self was coming for a visit and retreat the enclosure I believe month? Till all gone the mites not the can best wishes always I am sure someone with more knowledge will explain better
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts
    If she was just re-homed to you, it sounds like she brought them with her...and if you're seeing this many easily, you need to treat for them A.S.A.P.-
    & not just for your comfort or hers...mites can reproduce exponentially & cause the snake to die. They also can carry diseases to your snake.

First, isolate her from your other snake(s): they can hitch a ride on you & infest your other snakes. They should NOT be in the same room. And keep
    checking your other snake anyway, as some may already have moved in there.

Give her a bath immediately in mildly warm soapy* water (not deeper than her body height) for about 30 minutes...supervise her the whole time.
    That will drown many of the the mites but not all. Do this daily to get rid of as many mites as possible and without harm to your snake.

Then you'll probably want to treat her cage, using "PAM" (Provent-A-Mite) and carefully following the directions (otherwise it can harm your snake...
    you do NOT put in on the snake, & the snake must NEVER contact any of it that's not dry). You might have to order it online, unless you're in a big city.

There is also a product to spray on your snake, available in pet stores...get that A.S.A.P. too. (I forgot the name, I've been lucky enough to never need it).
    You'll need to be vigilant & probably re-treat to get rid of mites (using all methods of attack)...they persist because a few hide & survive.

BTW, snake mites don't like us...but they're still obnoxious & bad for your snakes.

Also, clean her cage after her bath (before you put her back in), use white paper towels for a while until rid of mites. (they hide in other substrates but
    show up on white paper towels...you need to keep monitoring them.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-09-2018)

Thanks

Re: Mites

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    I take some deep calming breathes and remember even tho mites are nasty little devil's it's not the end of the world despite what some of the seniors I take care of say and get a can of Provent a Mite clean like the pope him self was coming for a visit and retreat the enclosure I believe month? Till all gone the mites not the can best wishes always I am sure someone with more knowledge will explain better
    What he said, but also keep that snake FAR away from the other until clean. Basically, new quarentine for him. If you have substrate, i recommend switching to paper towel to avoid hiding mites and you can see the dead ones easier to know your treatment is working.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-09-2018)

Thanks

Mites

Natural Chemistry Reptile Relief every 2-3 days, change to paper towels, change paper towels and sanitize enclosure each time. Run the snake through your hands to get the mite spray off and eggs, rinse your off hand to get the mite spray, mites and eggs off. Switch hands, rinse and repeat. Change your clothes and wash them right after. Gone in a few weeks. Eggs are the most important to get rid of as the mites will die with the spray, but not the eggs. My boa was mite free after a couple weeks. My chocolate Enchi is being treated the same way and it is working just as it did for the boa. As everyone said, put the snake in another room. If a multilevel home, upstairs in a bathroom to make things easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Spechal; 06-09-2018 at 09:38 PM.
    As of July, 31st, 2018... (I think)
    1.0.0 - Albino Pastel Black Pastel Pinstripe -384g ('18)
    1.0.0 - Albino Candy - Candino ('17)
    1.0.0 - Super Pastel Butter ('18)
    1.0.0 - Pastel Calico - 735 ('16)
    1.0.0 - Lesser Pastel - 1344g ('16)
    1.0.0 - Black Pastel - 1680g ('15)
    1.0.0 - Mojave Mystic - Mystic Potion ('16)
    1.0.0 - Spotnose Spider
    1.0.0 - Black Head ('16)
    0.1.0 - Lesser ('14)
    0.1.0 - Orange Dream Pastel Spider - 453g ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pied ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pastel Black Pastel Spider ('16)
    0.1.0 - Hypo Enchi Butter - 310g (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Leopard (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Orange Ghost ('16)
    0.4.0 - Dinker YB ('17/18)
    0.1.0 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('18)
    0.1.0 - Fire YB Brownie - 148g ('18)
    0.1.0 - Columbian Red Tail Boa ('18)
    0.1.0 - Pastel -1 544g ('15)
    0.1.0 - Yellow Belly (rescue) ('13)
    0.1.0 - Wild Type ('16)
    0.1.0 - Spinner
    0.1.0 - Spinner ('18)
    0.0.1 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('17)
    0.0.1 - Wild Type (rescue) ('?)
    0.1.0 - Dinker ('18)
    0.0.1 - Spinner ('17)
    All to probe when I find the time.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spechal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-09-2018),C.Marie (06-09-2018)