Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,141

0 members and 3,141 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Best starter snake as pet?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corn snake

17 58.62%
  • King snake

4 13.79%
  • Rat snake

3 10.34%
  • Sand boa

5 17.24%
  • Other (Please post in thread if other)

10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Question asked the most. Best starter snake?

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything said here.

One thing that stood out was your comment about corns as babies possibly not being the best beginner snake. Being so tiny and so quick, coupled with their ability to fit pretty much ANYwhere I think you make a good point. Juvenile corns, Kings, etc... need to be monitored extremely closely while out, and enclosures must be completely escape proof. These little guys can be like Houdini if you're not careful.

I personally moved on from corns, in favor of Kings. And even at that, if I ever add another it will be sub-adult or adult. I've got no interest in the constant hand over hand handling sessions anymore. I love active and alert, but super quick and flighty isn't for me anymore. My snakes relax me and help me unwind. I find a certain tranquillity in them, and handling juvenile corns and similar colubrids is more work than tranquillity in my opinion.
    came in to say this. We currently have 2 corns, one adult who we got as a sub-adult and one we got after she had eaten a few meals. My fiance is new to snakes and she is in love with the adult, he is so chill and not once shown any signs of aggression. She can hold him all day and he doesn't care.
    The little female on the other hand is a little spit-fire, shes very flighty and quick. She used to rattle her little tail and strike like crazy. She's slowly calming down but for now shes my problem to deal with haha.

I have always had lots of success with ball pythons, and depending on where you live I don't feel the care requirements are difficult. If you can't handle the simple requirements of a ball python you should not be keeping reptiles imo
    I'm not your friend buddy!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to djansen For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-10-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Question asked the most. Best starter snake?

Quote Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    came in to say this. We currently have 2 corns, one adult who we got as a sub-adult and one we got after she had eaten a few meals. My fiance is new to snakes and she is in love with the adult, he is so chill and not once shown any signs of aggression. She can hold him all day and he doesn't care.
    The little female on the other hand is a little spit-fire, shes very flighty and quick. She used to rattle her little tail and strike like crazy. She's slowly calming down but for now shes my problem to deal with haha.

I have always had lots of success with ball pythons, and depending on where you live I don't feel the care requirements are difficult. If you can't handle the simple requirements of a ball python you should not be keeping reptiles imo
    Hahaha, yeah, I'm all set with juveniles as far as Kings/corns, etc... just too darn quick and all over the place. I like to enjoy my snakes, not be constantly worrying about them darting off, ending up in furniture, disappearing behind something, etc...

I'm glad I've raised them from juveniles and watched them grow in the past, but it's just not for me anymore.

They're so funny when they're tiny and rattling their tails though. It's like, "seriously, who the heck do you think you're scaring?"

As far as BP care being simple, it is. I agree 100%. If you can't maintain their temps and humidity as well as provide proper enclosures, hides, etc...reptiles may not be for you. It's really not going to get much easier.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

djansen (06-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I always have and always will recommend a corn snake as a first pet snake. Simply fantastic little snakes that are a joy to keep.

Thanks
    My list of recommended beginner snakes, and I often get asked for small ones, so less equipped to answer for those that want very large snakes.

In no particular order, Rosy boa, Kenyan Sand boa, African House snake, Western or Tricolor Hognose (males are better pets though they fast more often than females) Corn snakes, Trans Pecos ratsnakes, mexicana complex kingsnakes and Honduran milk snake.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123