Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,896

2 members and 2,894 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: Best starter snake as pet?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corn snake

17 58.62%
  • King snake

4 13.79%
  • Rat snake

3 10.34%
  • Sand boa

5 17.24%
  • Other (Please post in thread if other)

10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Question asked the most. Best starter snake?

I get asked what the best starter snake to learn and get into the hobby with. So many say BPs but are they? I try to point to corns and kings. Share your thoughts and reasons why please.

Thanks

Re: Question asked the most. Best starter snake?

I'd definitely say KSB, from my experience. Very hardy snake, and very forgiving if husbandry is not 100% perfect, as they can tolerate temperature drops well and are more forgiving of higher temps than a BP. Low humidity requirements. Males are notorious for going off food, but should be able to avoid that somewhat with a female. Size is very manageable, with even the females rarely exceeding 2.5 feet. Prices are typically very reasonable.
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    i kept two ball pythons before i got my corn snake, and i now have 6 balls and still one corn.

i think ball pythons qualify as a "starter" snake only for their temperament, and they should be more towards the intermediate side of the difficulty scale: very specific husbandry requirements requiring enclosure modifications or uncommon enclosure types (i.e. not glass), common temperamental eating habits, equipment start-up costs and they are not too active and don't like to be out.

IMO corn snakes are the perfect "starter" snake in all categories: active and out a lot, curious and full of personality, fantastic eaters, super minimal and forgiving husbandry requirements, but they are quick and can be a bit flighty. i would love to add another colubrid, but i don't have the space atm.

FWIW: i don't like the idea of "starter" pets; you shouldn't have to settle on your 20yr commitment because someone says it might be hard. just be prepared and do your research, and be open to help when things aren't working for you. a ball python as a first snake can be tough on both owner and snake (as i know from personal experience), but it is possible to have an incredible and easy first snake experience with a beep.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 06-08-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Charis (06-10-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I'd like to burn all the books that steer beginners to ball pythons, personally. They do it because of their docile nature, of course...but without factoring in
    the more difficult care, getting & keeping their temperatures & humidity correctly AND not being put off by their fasting & food-fetishes.

Corn snakes stay a very modest size, have a docile personality, beautiful colors, & thrive in temperatures near what we ourselves find comfortable, so only
    a minimal heat source is needed...and on top of that, they eat with enthusiasm all year long. They are the least fussy snakes about food, while still being
    easy to handle: king snakes aren't fussy about food either, but they may also think "you're it!" and that would scare off many first time snake owners.

I LOVE other kinds of rat snakes, but most get much larger & more feisty & we're talking about beginners here, so that's why I'd say corn snakes. Trans
    Pecos rat snakes, specifically, stay smaller & are very docile, but they're more of an exception in that group. And to be fair, I've not kept any KSBs...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (06-08-2018),Charis (06-10-2018),the_rotten1 (06-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    A rosy boa is hands down the best starter snake.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    A rosy boa is hands down the best starter snake.
    Really? Hey, don't get me wrong, I love rosy boas...I've had quite a few, both rescues & many that mine produced. Even as a former source of C/B rosy boas I
    wouldn't put them at the top for these reasons: they tend to go off feed in the winter (which is upsetting to beginners) and many can be less than careful about
    fingers when they're hungry- another trait that won't make a new keeper happy, lol. They do a curious thing when they're hungry & being held: they push their
    nose into your hand in various places, just as if it was a F/T mouse laying there...& if you ignore it, eventually the teeth follow their nose, so my overall impression
    of them is that they aren't the "sharpest tools in the shed"? Maybe I'm just spoiled by corn & rat snakes...they don't make mistakes like that. They move a
    lot quicker, but are much better judges of what's actually edible.

Another goofy thing I've had a rosy boa do (speaking of needing glasses?): I had a very friendly male rosy boa that used to like to snuggle around my neck while
    I did dishes. One night he started scraping my neck with his spurs! For those of you who don't know, their spurs are the vestigial remains of when they had legs-
    their spurs are the remnants of long-lost hip bones & they only use them to flirt with the females. Let me assure you that I bear no resemblance to a rosy boa,
    female or otherwise, & I had no scent of a female rosy on me from previous handling. I thought it was hilarious that he did this & I guess I should be flattered?

Anyway, they're pretty cute little snakes so they get away with making mistakes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (06-09-2018)

Thanks
    It really depends on what the person wants.. If they don't care about seeing their snake out and about and want small size, then a KSB or maybe rosy boa would be good.

Want maximum hardiness and smallish size, corn or king.

Want a more out-and-about snake and don't mind larger size? A common boa male would fit the bill nicely.

In the end, I think it really depends on what they want. You definitely don't want to steer them to something that they will end up not liking and "getting rid of" because it is the opposite of what they want.

I got a KSB and hognose before I got my ball python. I think got a boa (BCA male) and found a speies that I really loved. I think if I had not been scared off by the size, a boa would have made a great first snake for me. I still have the KSB and BPs, (had to rehome the hog to something that could provide live prey due to feeding issues).

I do really wish that people were very upfront with common issues with species..especially feeding issues and difficulty level when someone asks. I think people getting a species that isn't compatible with their wants or skill level ends up being a big turnoff to the hobby for some folks.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-08-2018),Bogertophis (06-08-2018),Charis (06-10-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-08-2018),the_rotten1 (06-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    There are a wide range of species of rat snakes... Some are not for "beginners" and some are. Corn snakes are a species of rat snake lol, so this poll isn't exactly comparable.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-08-2018 at 03:48 PM.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-08-2018),bcr229 (06-08-2018),Bogertophis (06-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-08-2018),MD_Pythons (06-09-2018),MissterDog (06-08-2018),Sonny1318 (06-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Corn snakes are a type of rat snake lol
    wow, i had no idea! i learn something new everyday.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    There are a wide range of species of rat snakes... Some are not for "beginners" and some are. Corn snakes are a species of rat snake lol, so this poll isn't exactly comparable.
    LOL you noticed that too eh?

I would have to go with a corn or king snake as the best "first" snake as they're pretty bulletproof and more tolerant of husbandry mistakes. They're also fun to handle.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (06-09-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast