Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,961

1 members and 2,960 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Spit Fire and Crush

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Gotcha
    Did you like my little snake hook I made? just wish it was longer LOL.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Did you like my little snake hook I made? just wish it was longer LOL.
    Is that what that is?? I figured it was a makeshift perch from inside the enclosure. I haven't kept any GTPs, ETBs or ATBs, but I see a lot of pics and videos with them outside their enclosures while on a perch from the enclosure. So, naturally, I thought that's what that was.

Time to get yourself a hook, my man. Nice ingenuity in the meantime though!
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 06-08-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Is that what that is?? I figured it was a makeshift perch from inside the enclosure. I haven't kept any GTPs, ETBs or ATBs, but I see a lot of pics and videos with them outside their enclosures while on a perch from the enclosure. So, naturally, I thought that's what that was.

Time to get yourself a hook, my man. Nice ingenuity in the meantime though!

My hook is to large for them right now. I got one for Rainbow but don't need one for her. Just nice to have if I do. I will get a smaller one soon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Tip for arboreals....make removable perches. It will make your life a lot easier. Trying to coax little ones off perches onto a stick is not the best idea since they have very fragile spines and you can easily hurt them as well as kink their tail. I have had Pat almost 6 months now and i have actually 'held' him a total of maybe 3 times. And all 3 of them were his choice to climb on me as i was holding him on a perch and he decided to explore me and see what it was like sitting on an extra large perch(my arm).

Also another tip, make sure the perches are as thick as the snake at the most and no thinner than half his thickness. I personally give Pat perches that are about as thick as him. I was told giving too big of perches to babies can damage their spines as they try to wrap around the perch.

Something that works well are plastic coat hangers. Cut the long part and you have baby perches. I tried them but Pat hated them and grounded himself. He was happy with oak dowels. Just cant get oak dowels wet or they will mold after a while. But it works fine as Pat hates to be sprayed and spraying babies will water isnt the best idea as it lowers their body temp unless you are using luke warm water.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 06-08-2018 at 08:24 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-08-2018),ScalySenua (01-26-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Tip for arboreals....make removable perches. It will make your life a lot easier. Trying to coax little ones off perches onto a stick is not the best idea since they have very fragile spines and you can easily hurt them as well as kink their tail. I have had Pat almost 6 months now and i have actually 'held' him a total of maybe 3 times. And all 3 of them were his choice to climb on me as i was holding him on a perch and he decided to explore me and see what it was like sitting on an extra large perch(my arm).

Also another tip, make sure the perches are as thick as the snake at the most and no thinner than half his thickness. I personally give Pat perches that are about as thick as him. I was told giving too big of perches to babies can damage their spines as they try to wrap around the perch.
    Thanks for the tips. Their perches are removable but neither of them were using them. I put the hook in with them and they climbed on. I did not grab or pull them. I think they thought food was coming. Today is feeding day for everyone. Should make them happier. I think the humidity on the bottom of the cage is higher than the top so they are sitting on the moist moss on the bottom. My humidity is 75-80% depending on how hot the house gets during the day. Spit Fire is in shed so she might need more right now.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 06-08-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks
    Do you have lots of plastic plants for cover. Not sure about ATBs but i know with GTPs, if they ground themselves, it either means the cage is too hot, they are sick, they are pregnant, they dont like the perches or dont feel secure on them. Make sure you have lots of plastic plants or live plants so the snakes feel secure. But like i said, i dont know too much about ATBs so i cant really help with temps and stuff. I will say though, i would let the humidity drop to around 50% and dry out a little, then spike it back up with a misting on the substrate. I know with GTPs, if they are kept constantly wet or too humid, they can develop water blisters on their skin. With them, you want to spike the humdity and then let it drop back down to around 40-50%, then spike it back up and rinse and repeat.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do you have lots of plastic plants for cover. Not sure about ATBs but i know with GTPs, if they ground themselves, it either means the cage is too hot, they are sick, they are pregnant, they dont like the perches or dont feel secure on them. Make sure you have lots of plastic plants or live plants so the snakes feel secure. But like i said, i dont know too much about ATBs so i cant really help with temps and stuff. I will say though, i would let the humidity drop to around 50% and dry out a little, then spike it back up with a misting on the substrate. I know with GTPs, if they are kept constantly wet or too humid, they can develop water blisters on their skin. With them, you want to spike the humdity and then let it drop back down to around 40-50%, then spike it back up and rinse and repeat.
    Was trying to help with shed. Will drop it down a little. I have seen them on their perches and yes I do have plastic plants in there. Most of their cage is hidden by the plants. Hope they are not sick. Do you think a vet visit is in order? They both were on the bottom of their cages yesterday. They both are energetic when out and I have seen some exploring going on as well.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Good luck with them!
    I would soak that one with the stuck shed. Simply misting will help of course but the shed will probably stay there until next shed time unless you soak and get it off (at least that's what I've found with mine and what's been recommended to me from other ATB keepers).

Not sure about ATBs but i know with GTPs, if they ground themselves, it either means the cage is too hot, they are sick, they are pregnant, they dont like the perches or dont feel secure on them.
    Actually, ATBs spend time on the floor quite often and it's not a cause for concern. Most will prefer to sleep on the floor and then go up to the perches when awake. They will also happily utilize a hide box on the floor or an elevated hide. just fyi
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 06-08-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    For the Horde!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Good luck with them!
    I would soak that one with the stuck shed. Simply misting will help of course but the shed will probably stay there until next shed time unless you soak and get it off (at least that's what I've found with mine and what's been recommended to me from other ATB keepers).

Actually, ATBs spend time on the floor quite often and it's not a cause for concern. Most will prefer to sleep on the floor and then go up to the perches when awake. They will also happily utilize a hide box on the floor or an elevated hide. just fyi

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Good luck with them!

Learn something new every day. Like i said, I'm not well versed in ATBs as they never really grabbed me but i had heard they do sit on the floor sometimes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast