Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,832

1 members and 2,831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    "look! see it now?? she's so much bigger, i swear!"

hahahaha. she's lookin' lovely.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Solana - Our Scaleless Sunglow Motley Corn

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    She's such a cute little worm, when I bred my little corns a few years ago it was so weird going to sort my boas out after the difference is so vast,
    Really glad solana is settling in and Katie has taken such a liking to her

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it's funny. At 2 years old, Behira is already 2X what Solana will every likely be (weight wise). Plus, she will be 7X this size!

Katie is loving her and doing fantastic with all the animals really. Last night she spent time with all the snakes while I cleaned tanks. Put up some pictures of her and Figment and Behira in their respective threads.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    She is precious little babe thank you ever so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Thank you! I think she's a great addition to the family. So beautiful and so calm and sweet. We are going to love her for a long time! Also, no worries, I will keep sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    "look! see it now?? she's so much bigger, i swear!"

hahahaha. she's lookin' lovely.
    Yeah, I do see it now! HUGE!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-13-2018)

Thanks

Solana did poop last night and weighed in today at a whopping 10G (barely).

I plan to feed tonight, another small pinkie, and start getting her to gain weight a little more aggressively.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-13-2018)

Thanks

Fed a small, but not tiny, pinkie tonight. I put it in front the the hide she was in (she had been peeking out when I came to put it in her tank). She stuck her out and watched me and Katie for about ten minutes. She was clearly interested, but didn't want an audience.

We both walked away.

5 minutes later, I walked back over and saw the last of the pinkie disappearing with Solana's head barely visible from the hide.

Glad she ate, but still haven't really actually seen her eat! I totally get it. Survival first, then eating second. She's adorable and I want her to grow big and strong, even if I can't see her eat for a while. Once she's not so teeny tiny I imagine she will happily eat in front of me like Figment does. He was the same when little, now could care less if the whole world was watching him!

Solana: FOOD? Wait, safety first. Food? Okay, it's safe, FOOD! And down the hatch!

Figment: FOOD? FOOD! Strike/Grab and eat.

LOL, she'll get there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018),richardhind1972 (07-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Fed a small, but not tiny, pinkie tonight. I put it in front the the hide she was in (she had been peeking out when I came to put it in her tank). She stuck her out and watched me and Katie for about ten minutes. She was clearly interested, but didn't want an audience.

We both walked away.

5 minutes later, I walked back over and saw the last of the pinkie disappearing with Solana's head barely visible from the hide.

Glad she ate, but still haven't really actually seen her eat! I totally get it. Survival first, then eating second. She's adorable and I want her to grow big and strong, even if I can't see her eat for a while. Once she's not so teeny tiny I imagine she will happily eat in front of me like Figment does. He was the same when little, now could care less if the whole world was watching him!

Solana: FOOD? Wait, safety first. Food? Okay, it's safe, FOOD! And down the hatch!

Figment: FOOD? FOOD! Strike/Grab and eat.

LOL, she'll get there.
    Next time you're feeding just give the pinkie a 10/15 second blast with a hairdryer then offer instantly in front of its nose .. don't blink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Next time you're feeding just give the pinkie a 10/15 second blast with a hairdryer then offer instantly in front of its nose .. don't blink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The rodents I feed all my snakes are warmed prior to feeding and after being defrosted.

In Solana's case, the hides are full of paper towels so she feels really tight and secure in them.

She immediately smells and wants the rodent, but is nervous about exposing herself, especially with us watching.

When I walk away, she seems to grab fast, pull in her hide, and eat.

In my experience with Figment, being similar, it's a knowing she is tiny thing and will grow out of it.

Good point on the heating up prior to feeding. Many people forget that step and/or do not defrost properly and then wonder why their snakes don't take F/T.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (07-14-2018)

Thanks

Okay, no joke, she actually seems bigger every time I see her. At first, I thought it was my mind, and Katie, playing tricks on me. Now, not so sure.

Here are some pictures of our beautiful little girl, calm as ever, and looking great two days after her last pinkie.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by dakski; 07-15-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I doubt that using a hair-dryer to warm f/t rodents will do anything to impress Solana...I never do that for any of my corn snakes, and they pounce without
    hesitation. Remember they don't have heat sensing pits like BPs do. But hatchling corns have to be cautious about eating, this WILL pass, I promise.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I doubt that using a hair-dryer to warm f/t rodents will do anything to impress Solana...I never do that for any of my corn snakes, and they pounce without
    hesitation. Remember they don't have heat sensing pits like BPs do. But hatchling corns have to be cautious about eating, this WILL pass, I promise.
    Thank you Bogertophis! I know, I am not worried at all. Figment (adult hypo lavender corn @ 640G and 5ft) was the same way when tiny.

Last time I fed him (on the far right side of his enclosure) he nailed the mouse so quick and so hard, and then proceeded to roll 3 feet across the tank to the left while coiling more. About a minute later, he realized that was overkill, and happily ate with me watching.

She will get there. I do warm all my rodents prior to feeding, but I don't think it matters too much with the corn snakes either . With Shayna, my BP, I think it makes a big difference, and with Behira, my BCI, it's probably overkill as well. She's got a feeding response like Figment!

Thanks

Solana ate tonight. I could have fed yesterday (4 days since last feeding), but I was not well Sunday night through this afternoon.

So, today, I did a lot of cleaning, including Solana's tank, and fed tonight.

She was eyeing me as I walked up to the tank, but then hid back in her hide. I put the pinkie close to the hide she was in. I watched for a few minutes and sure enough, she came out and ate with me watching (not sure whether she knew I was watching). Sounds like a good step to me.

She did not strike, just grabbed the pinkie and down the hatch pretty quick.

Lots of poop this week, and no weight change, but I think she will start gaining as she eats every 4-5 days and in a few weeks goes from small pinkies to normal pinkies, etc.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-19-2018)

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast