Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 567

0 members and 567 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Solana - Our Scaleless Sunglow Motley Corn

Solana is getting ready for her first shed with us. She ate Sunday and then last night Katie went to pick her up and was met with much hysterics; bluff striking and tail rattling. Katie freaked out and didn't want to pick Solana up. I told her that you have to call her bluff and scooped her right up. Within a second of picking her up, she calmed right down, and realized I was not a threat. However, kind of odd since she hasn't done that since day one. A quick look at her tiny face, and sure enough, cloudy eyes! Humidity is high in the house and I moistened the paper towel in the two cool hides as well as misted the tank (2-3 sprays) with purified water (which she drinks - she's so tiny and we have chlorinated water - it's not bad, but why risk it - everyone else gets a mix of purified and tap). I repeated that step again today, but with a little more humidity added, as her eyes are no longer cloudy.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Again, today, her eyes were clear and there were not hysterics when we checked on her. I was expecting poop, but not yet. Very interesting to see the loose skin on her body pre-shed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Additionally, my friend, really second mom, came over to meet Solana today. She pet Shayna (BP), but wouldn't pet Behira (BCI) or Figment (Corn). She did sit with and pet Frank (BTS). However, she helped hold Solana with Katie (Katie held her head and my second mom held her back half). The big snakes scare her. Her fear is they will squeeze her. However, she thinks Solana is adorable.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-05-2018),C.Marie (07-13-2018),richardhind1972 (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Solana is getting ready for her first shed with us. She ate Sunday and then last night Katie went to pick her up and was met with much hysterics; bluff striking and tail rattling. Katie freaked out and didn't want to pick Solana up. I told her that you have to call her bluff and scooped her right up. Within a second of picking her up, she calmed right down, and realized I was not a threat. However, kind of odd since she hasn't done that since day one. A quick look at her tiny face, and sure enough, cloudy eyes! Humidity is high in the house and I moistened the paper towel in the two cool hides as well as misted the tank (2-3 sprays) with purified water (which she drinks - she's so tiny and we have chlorinated water - it's not bad, but why risk it - everyone else gets a mix of purified and tap). I repeated that step again today, but with a little more humidity added, as her eyes are no longer cloudy.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Again, today, her eyes were clear and there were not hysterics when we checked on her. I was expecting poop, but not yet. Very interesting to see the loose skin on her body pre-shed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Additionally, my friend, really second mom, came over to meet Solana today. She pet Shayna (BP), but wouldn't pet Behira (BCI) or Figment (Corn). She did sit with and pet Frank (BTS). However, she helped hold Solana with Katie (Katie held her head and my second mom held her back half). The big snakes scare her. Her fear is they will squeeze her. However, she thinks Solana is adorable.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Now the eyes have cleared I would spray well a few times throughout each day until you're sure it's actually shed its skin - it can take up to 7 days for some .

I actually use a water sprayer rather than a fine mist thingy but as long as you get the humidity to a decent level it's fine .

Works for mine anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-05-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Now the eyes have cleared I would spray well a few times throughout each day until you're sure it's actually shed its skin - it can take up to 7 days for some .

I actually use a water sprayer rather than a fine mist thingy but as long as you get the humidity to a decent level it's fine .

Works for mine anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thank you. I normally would be spraying at least 2X a day (with a water sprayer - not a fine mister). However, the humidity in my finished basement (where the reptiles are) is about 70% right now. The dryer species have lights, heat, and vents, that get it well below that, but Solana's tank is up over 60% now.

I want a good shed, but don't want to keep the tank soaked all day either. I am either spraying one really good spray that lasts for a while, or preferably, 2 smaller sprays.

Not my first rodeo with shedding, but the she is the first scaleless snake I've had, and she's tiny. I want a really good first shed. I think by maintaining 60-75% until she sheds will work well. After all, she is a corn snake, not BRB!

I'll keep everyone in the loop!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-05-2018),richardhind1972 (07-06-2018)

Thanks

Solana Shed last night!

Perfect shed from eye lids to the tip of her tail! Awesome!

Here are some pictures. Did I mention she looks incredible and is really starting to POP! Her colors will only get brighter and richer over the next 2-3 years!

She weighed in at 9G empty (she left me present with her shed). After this Sunday's feeding, she will start eating every 4-5 days and bigger meals. Still been giving really small pinkies and 7 days apart to make sure she's eating and digesting well. Sure seems like she is!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-06-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Looking great mate, glad all went well the shed

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-10-2018)

Thanks

Last night, Solana took her third pinkie for us. She's been eating and digesting well, had a great shed, and is calming down a lot and becoming quite friendly and inquisitive and calm.

We will start her on a pinkie every 4-5 days from this point on and until she goes to two pinkies, then fuzzies, etc. I am sticking to a slightly modified Munson plan.

Basically feed, let her digest, and after she poops, feed again. Start to put some weight on the tiny thing!

So happy and relieved that she is doing so well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-10-2018)

Thanks

I had Solana out tonight and she looks fully digested and ready to poop. She's getting so incredibly calm already. Tonight, she let me pick her right up, and relaxed into my hand in seconds.

However, things are really getting out of hand! Katie said tonight that Solana, "is definitely my favorite now." That's great, I love that she's super excited and interested in her and wants to be involved and watch her grow, all good things. She's also showing more interest in the other reptiles as well. Also good.

She took it too far tonight though. She was picking on Behira for her aggressive food response and because, before I hook trained her, which has gone wonderfully, she nailed me, ONCE! One time! I thought she had let that go! So now, Solana is a docile cutie and Behira is the bad guy? I pointed out to Katie that on several occasions Solana tried to at least take a finger, if not murder us, to protect herself. That's all good. I would expect a 9 gram and 2 month old animal in a new place to be scared and defensive. Happy she's growing out of that, but also, I understand. However, Katie thinks that behavior from Solana is cute, but Behira's food response is aggressive.

Personally, I also understand Behira's food drive and don't like her any less because of that. I've learned to adapt and hook trained and once she knows food isn't coming, is an absolute sweetheart and overall, she doesn't have a mean or aggressive bone in her body. She fell asleep on my arm last night for Pete's sake!

Okay..............Done with the rant!

Overall, incredibly happy Katie has bonded so well with Solana. I think it's wonderful and even if she's protective of her at Behira's expense sometimes, I know she loves Behira as well (as of last week, Behira was her second favorite ).

Solana is wonderful and is coming along nicely. She's settled in well and will start packing on the weight with her shorter feeding intervals starting this week.

So happy with all the reptiles here, and Solana was a great final edition to the family.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-13-2018)

Thanks

Katie thinks Solana is getting noticeably bigger. She hasn't gone to the bathroom since her last meal (Monday), but I expect that any day. I will weigh her after. She was 8G when we got her and she should be around 10G now and noticeably longer.

Katie says she's a "big girl." Not so sure, but she thought letting her stretch out would show her size better. Hmmmmm. Either way, pictures below.

For what's worth, that's a Samsung S9+, not the regular S9, for comparison . Try not to be intimated by the Monstrous Beast That is Solana, the Giant Corn Snake!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-13-2018),richardhind1972 (07-13-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

She's such a cute little worm, when I bred my little corns a few years ago it was so weird going to sort my boas out after the difference is so vast,
    Really glad solana is settling in and Katie has taken such a liking to her

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 07-13-2018 at 03:11 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-13-2018)

Thanks
    She is precious little babe thank you ever so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

20. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-13-2018)

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast