Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,090

0 members and 3,090 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Solana - Our Scaleless Sunglow Motley Corn

With all the excitement of Yafe arriving and being sick, I haven't updated on Solana who shed two days ago!

She looks incredible, as she normally does. I only got some quick iPhone pics in crappy reptile room lighting, but I promise to take some with the DSLR after she eats tonight and digests.

She had a little stuck shed on the top of her head that ran down her spine about 1/3 down her body and was literally as thick as her spine. I blame her . Humidity was about 50-60% in the tank and I sprayed once a day after her eyes cleared to make it 60-70%. The rest of the shed was in one piece and came off the tail perfectly.

Seriously, I am not sure what happened, but a quick 20 minute soak in warm water and it came right off. She's good as new.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Michelle-07 (10-09-2018),richardhind1972 (10-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

She is sooo pretty D. I'm really excited to see what she looks like as an adult. She's going to be unreal!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-09-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Looking really good Dave, her spots seems to be showing a bit more

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Looking really good Dave, her spots seems to be showing a bit more

Absolutely. They get bigger and more distinct with each shed. She's getting much bigger. Still 28G dry this week, but she was due to eat two days ago. I skipped because of her shed and we had to inject Yafe last night; not feeding Solana after - quarantine protocol.

Here are a few more (still crappy iPhone) pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Michelle-07 (10-09-2018),richardhind1972 (10-09-2018)

Thanks

Suuuch an amazing animal!! Looks stunning. I'm considering if a corn snake would be a great second snake, after seeing this beauty, mhmmm..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle-07 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle-07 View Post
    Suuuch an amazing animal!! Looks stunning. I'm considering if a corn snake would be a great second snake, after seeing this beauty, mhmmm..
    Michelle-07,

I don't want to digress too much from Solana's thread here, but feel free to PM me anytime or start another thread (or comment here) about getting a corn.

It is my belief that you cannot go wrong with one.

I have been keeping reptiles for 20 years and currently have, a BP, a Carpet Python, a Boa (BCI), and 2 corn snakes (as well as 5 lizards - yes 10 reptiles in all - it's hard to stop at even 2).

I absolutely love corn snakes.

They are 80% docile from the egg and those that are a little defensive as tiny babies (like 8G or less) grow out of it in a matter of days. Solana is the calmest and sweetest most docile corn I've met. However, even she was tail rattling and fake striking (mouth closed striking my hand) the first few days we handled her after she settled in (only when picking her up and taking her out of her enclosure - 100% fine once she realized we weren't going to eat her). 99% of corns, when handled and treated well, are completely docile and I've never been bit by a corn, or even close.

They tend to move more than a boid, and slither between your hands, and dart in different directions (Figment is like this - ADHD) at times, but are still very calm and docile animals that tolerate handling well. They do not get too big, but big enough to be impressive and beautiful.

They eat like clockwork and love their food.

They come in every color or pattern you can imagine and even with or without scales.

Finally, corn snake requirements are so simple and they are virtually bullet proof. No special humidity, temps range from room temp on the cool side to 84F or so for a hot spot. They do not like too much heat. I keep both of mine in 3X2' boaphiles with 84F hot spots and 77-78F cool spots with ambient around 79-80F. Unless digesting, they spend most of their time on the cool side. An adult corn can easily live in a 40G breeder for life and the screen top is a non-issue for them, as opposed to boids, because humidity is of little concern. However, they are escape artists, so if you get a screen top tank, make sure it's escape proof!!!!!

Even after keeping reptiles and snakes specifically for years, I still love my corns, even if they aren't as big a challenge as some of the more demanding and larger boids.

I highly, highly, recommend Don Soderberg at South Mountain Reptiles (https://www.cornsnake.net), who's been breeding corns forever, and who I got Solana from. He's a great breeder and a great guy. We've stayed in touch and I update him frequently on Solana, and he's advised me on other reptile questions as well (he's bred everything at one point or another). He answers the phone and emails and will be there with you every step of the way from pre-purchase, to purchase, and I believe, for life.

What's is the other snake you have? It doesn't get much better or easier than a corn, so I doubt you would not be qualified to own way and take great care of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Michelle-07,

I don't want to digress too much from Solana's thread here, but feel free to PM me anytime or start another thread (or comment here) about getting a corn.

It is my belief that you cannot go wrong with one.

I have been keeping reptiles for 20 years and currently have, a BP, a Carpet Python, a Boa (BCI), and 2 corn snakes (as well as 5 lizards - yes 10 reptiles in all - it's hard to stop at even 2).

I absolutely love corn snakes.

They are 80% docile from the egg and those that are a little defensive as tiny babies (like 8G or less) grow out of it in a matter of days. Solana is the calmest and sweetest most docile corn I've met. However, even she was tail rattling and fake striking (mouth closed striking my hand) the first few days we handled her after she settled in (only when picking her up and taking her out of her enclosure - 100% fine once she realized we weren't going to eat her). 99% of corns, when handled and treated well, are completely docile and I've never been bit by a corn, or even close.

They tend to move more than a boid, and slither between your hands, and dart in different directions (Figment is like this - ADHD) at times, but are still very calm and docile animals that tolerate handling well. They do not get too big, but big enough to be impressive and beautiful.

They eat like clockwork and love their food.

They come in every color or pattern you can imagine and even with or without scales.

Finally, corn snake requirements are so simple and they are virtually bullet proof. No special humidity, temps range from room temp on the cool side to 84F or so for a hot spot. They do not like too much heat. I keep both of mine in 3X2' boaphiles with 84F hot spots and 77-78F cool spots with ambient around 79-80F. Unless digesting, they spend most of their time on the cool side. An adult corn can easily live in a 40G breeder for life and the screen top is a non-issue for them, as opposed to boids, because humidity is of little concern. However, they are escape artists, so if you get a screen top tank, make sure it's escape proof!!!!!

Even after keeping reptiles and snakes specifically for years, I still love my corns, even if they aren't as big a challenge as some of the more demanding and larger boids.

I highly, highly, recommend Don Soderberg at South Mountain Reptiles (https://www.cornsnake.net), who's been breeding corns forever, and who I got Solana from. He's a great breeder and a great guy. We've stayed in touch and I update him frequently on Solana, and he's advised me on other reptile questions as well (he's bred everything at one point or another). He answers the phone and emails and will be there with you every step of the way from pre-purchase, to purchase, and I believe, for life.

What's is the other snake you have? It doesn't get much better or easier than a corn, so I doubt you would not be qualified to own way and take great care of it.
    Thank you so much for your update with care! It's reall helpful. I'm getting ball python next month and soon I'll be ale to have second snake (the 18 years old thing, like in my country I'm gonna be adult in the month) and I don't know whether to have 2 ball pythons or one and one corn.... I love colubrids as well...

i'm gonna send you PM after I decided for sure with some questions, thanks a lot!

Thanks

Solana ate her biggest fuzzy yet on Monday night. It was 5G. She had no problem at all with it and it was fully digested by yesterday, if not sooner (I let her be for two days after eating). I had to clean her tank this morning and I took her out for some quick pictures and to have some fun with her. With the 5-6 day feeding schedule there are only a few opportunities to spend time with her during the week. Pretty soon she will move up to every 7 days and that will give me a little more time during the week to take her out.

She's becoming quite the hunter. She smelled the fuzzy when I put it in and came out looking for it. I showed it to her but then shook it and had her chase it across the tank. Once she caught up, she grabbed it quick and tried to pull, but I held on tight and even added a little resistance. She put her whole body weight into it and wouldn't let go. At 28G, I still feel her pulling on the tongs! I let go pretty quick and she dragged the fuzzy into her hide to eat. She's really learning how to Snake!

Solana is really an incredible animal. Yes, she's gorgeous, and soft, etc. However, she is just a cool snake. Her personality is great as well. She's calm, docile, and acts more like a Boa than most corns I know. She's curious, but moves pretty slow and deliberately. All this at almost 6 months old and it's been like this since week 2 with us (at 2 months). She's going to be an incredibly confident and chill adult corn.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by dakski; 10-12-2018 at 12:57 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-12-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Looks like someone airbrushed her, such a fantastic colour and I bet she looks even better in real life.
    sometimes the camera just can't capture the beauty a human eye can see

16. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Looks like someone airbrushed her, such a fantastic colour and I bet she looks even better in real life.
    sometimes the camera just can't capture the beauty a human eye can see

The DSLR does okay, but the iPhone doesn't capture the richness and neither capture how she "glows."

If you ever come over to the states, you are welcome to meet her!

It's harder with Yafe and Behira, etc. A lot of the nuance and subtle coloring gets lost on the camera. Solana is pretty bright and out there. You can get that from the pictures, just not how much she "glows" and how rich her colors are. Of course, he can't feel how soft she is in a picture either!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (10-12-2018)

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast