Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,930

0 members and 1,930 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Safe materials for snake decoration

Hey,

I have been thinking of making a platform or a ledge for my corn since he likes to climb. I was wondering what materials are safe for a corn snake and what should I avoid. I was thinking maybe I could use plywood or birch planks but Im not sure. Also are there any safe paints for a snake to be around?

Please let me know,
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Re: Safe materials for snake decoration

Quote Originally Posted by Nathalie View Post
    I have been thinking of making a platform or a ledge for my corn since he likes to climb. I was wondering what materials are safe for a corn snake and what should I avoid. I was thinking maybe I could use plywood or birch planks but Im not sure.
    Any wood other than pine or cedar, would work. Just be sure to coat it in polyurethane.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Any wood other than pine or cedar, would work. Just be sure to coat it in polyurethane.
    I agree, but I'd stay away from plywood as it off-gasses the toxic stuff it's held together with. And it's hard to coat perfectly, as the cut sides are rough.

Remember that snakes do need traction though- a smooth ledge won't do it without some modifications. One thing I like to use for my rat snakes instead of wood platforms are woven baskets of the right size & shape. Easy to cut off the handles too, if they're in the way, plus they attach easily to branches & snakes usually love them- especially the "bowl shape" they may even feel safe enough to sleep in sometimes- which is disgustingly cute.

Just my suggestion- baskets are much easier to work with than coating wood shelves that a snake may not be comfortable with- plus, if you attach a basket with wire (not permanently glued in), you can remove & wash them if needed.

Oh, the BEST thing about baskets is they're cheap & available- if not in your cupboard from Easters past, look in thrift stores- they have TONS of them, cheap!

Safe paints are hard to find- read the fine print! You want "pet-safe" NO-VOC (no volatile organic compounds) & you might have to special order it- consult an expert in a paint store (& good luck). You won't likely find it in Walmart or many regular hardware stores, as most ppl don't care to look for it, or pay extra.

You can also look for products (paint & other coatings) sold for building ponds for fish, for example- they might carry something you can use, as fish cannot handle toxics either.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-04-2023 at 09:45 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Just my suggestion- baskets are much easier to work with than coating wood shelves that a snake may not be comfortable with- plus, if you attach a basket with wire (not permanently glued in), you can remove & wash them if needed.

Oh, the BEST thing about baskets is they're cheap & available- if not in your cupboard from Easters past, look in thrift stores- they have TONS of them, cheap!
    True that! I have experience with both wood platforms and baskets, and baskets are superior for slender bodied snakes like corns. Wood is comparatively difficult to work with and poly can take a long time (weeks) to off-gas. I recently traded out a wood platform in my enclosure for a twine net and it's a big improvement.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-04-2023)

Thanks

A lot of bird and small pet cage decorations are safe for snakes too as long you check carefully for holes they can get stuck in (like with ladders). My ball pythons have hammocks and stuff intended for rats and guinea pigs made of fleece that they enjoy, and they're washable.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-04-2023)