Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 563

0 members and 563 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Monitor lizards - Who is right for them?

I have other herps but no monitors. My research from reading caresheets to watching videos from expert keepers who specializes in Varanis suggested that they are as a whole not good pets for beginners or those who lack the resources to care for them properly.

My point is this: there is a popular pet Youtuber named Taylor Dean who keeps numerous pets in her 2 or 3 bedroom apartment shared with her boyfriend. She has a LOT of animals ranging from several ball pythons and other snakes, 2-3 hedgehogs, lots of fish in several tanks as big as a 125 gallon, bearded dragon, leopard gecko, blue tongue skink, 2 cats, a crab.... The list goes on. She stated that to date, she still keeps some of her pets in her closet due to lack of space. A few months ago, she thought she purchased a white throat monitor because allegedly her pregnant friend wanted one, they were going to share custody with her housing it in her apartment and provide care 100% etc... She impulse bought the lizard with no proper enclosure ready for him. After the purchase, she went on vacation, came back and posted a vid about her new pet.

Almost immediately many commented that it was a black throat monitor. She had no idea she was caring for the wrong species for at least a month that has a different set of care requirements.

Then she supposedly tried to re home it to a rescue because she does not believe in keeping wild caught animals, even though her fish tanks are filled with them.

Recently, she announced that she is keeping the monitor lizard because the lizard took to her. She stated the reason being is her local rescue would be keeping him the same way so why not her so she can spoil him. She has no experience working with monitors.

I have never heard of a monitor this size kept indoors, much less in an apartment crowded with other pets. Can someone with experience confirm if this is true? Can a large monitor lizard live happily or at least have most of not all needs met being cared for this way? Can a baby who appeared tame remain tame as an adult? Are her other pets safe around this lizard if she lets it roam loose in the apartment?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-06-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    That name and desciption of the animals and apartment sounded familar, so i checked out Youtube and yeah, I've seen a few of her videos. I think I got halfway through a second one and quit. Wasn't impressed.

Anyway, I know VERY little about monitors, next to nothing really. But that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me with the minute amount of knowledge of monitors that I have.

I'm sure others will chime in. I like this thread and I'm curious to see where it goes...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018),MD_Pythons (06-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,840 Times in 4,770 Posts
    A monitor in an apartment.

If she keeps it I foresee an eviction and a very large bill for cleaning and repairs to the apartment afterward.

Situations like this one are why landlords have no-pet policies.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018),C.Marie (06-25-2018),MD_Pythons (06-06-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Monitor lizards - Who is right for them?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A monitor in an apartment.

If she keeps it I foresee an eviction and a very large bill for cleaning and repairs to the apartment afterward.

Situations like this one are why landlords have no-pet policies.
    ...and paint an ugly picture of our hobby, making it harder on the rest of us.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018),C.Marie (06-25-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    She impulse bought the lizard
    Enough said.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    I have kept Nile and savanna monitors in the past, and can tell you that a Nile monitor would not be a safe option in such a small crowded space, and they don't even get as large as a black throat. I allowed mine to free roam an entire house, and kept my other animals in a seperate closed off room, since most monitors will eat nearly anything. I also kept my bedroom closed at night, as I did not trust him around me when I was asleep... They are intelligent and can form bonds with keepers, but are also an insatiable predator and can never be fully trusted.
    Last edited by Alter-Echo; 06-06-2018 at 01:10 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-16-2018)

Thanks

Sounds like she's an attention hound to me, and using her animals to get some of that attention. First strike.

NO, she is NOT thinking about the welfare of the monitor, nor giving it the best care available. The rescue would've kept him in a small area for awhile until they found someone better able to give him the care he deserved. That's what rescues do, especially as many are short of space. That isn't an excuse for her to keep him in the same conditions. This is her again soliciting attention by pretending benevolence. Gross. Strike two.

She is promoting negligent behavior. I'm sure many people that follow her on YouTube have no idea the size a Black Throat can achieve, nor the danger they pose, nor the costs of their proper care. She is promoting the idea that it's okay to get an animal when you are in no way prepared or educated for it. People could end up hurt, and animals will end up dead or abandoned (see the invasive tegu in Florida). Annnnnd this is where fear, restriction, and laws comes from. Ignorance IS NOT bliss. Huge strike three and she's out in my book.

In my mind, this is the same debate as the one around large constrictors. How do you ensure that a person is prepared to give the care a large predator needs, not only for the safety of the person but also for the safety and well being of the animal? Do you impose permits? Sanctions?

If we as a community could step up, come together, and work out a plan before the government steps in, how cool would that be? Its a bit of a pipe dream - we do live in a market society, after all. But it's an interesting thought. If the reptile community could police itself to a certain extent, we might see less of this, and more of the good stuff.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018),C.Marie (06-25-2018),MissterDog (06-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    If we as a community could step up, come together, and work out a plan before the government steps in, how cool would that be? Its a bit of a pipe dream - we do live in a market society, after all. But it's an interesting thought. If the reptile community could police itself to a certain extent, we might see less of this, and more of the good stuff.
    this would require people like Brian to publicly condemn Taylor Dean and remove his collabs with her. they're not going to do that; there'$ $o much at $take.

it would be nice for us to be able to speak louder than these people, but as long as 12 y/o keep watching their channels and making them money we're just going to remain background noise to them.

i've watched a handful of her videos and i couldn't shake the negative feelings about her channel. i'm glad to know my gut was right.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 06-06-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018),C.Marie (06-25-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-06-2018),tegu (08-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    this would require people like Brian to publicly condemn Taylor Dean and remove his collabs with her. they're not going to do that.

it would be nice for us to be able to speak louder than these people, but as long as 12 y/o keep watching their channels and making them money we're just going to remain background noise to them.

i've watched a handful of her videos and i couldn't shake the negative feelings about her channel. i'm glad to know my gut was right.

Thus the pipe dream comment I'm in complete agreement with you. It would require an agreement from A LOT of different people, and money talks very loudly. The downfall of BHB is a perfect example of how loudly. Unfortunately, these people who are soliciting attention now are going to be the ones who end up ruining the hobby for us all.
    Last edited by ladywhipple02; 06-06-2018 at 01:58 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018),tttaylorrr (06-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Thus the pipe dream comment I'm in complete agreement with you. It would require an agreement from A LOT of different people, and money talks very loudly. The downfall of BHB is a perfect example of how loudly.
    like when i think of Brian and his channel, i remind myself "don't let perfect be the enemy of good." Brian isn't perfect, but he has the resources to back up everything he does and provide for the animals.

Taylor Dean is buying up new animals for selfish reasons. period. keeping a monitor in an apartment and blatantly broadcasting it is just ridiculous. i can't believe no one bigger has called her out yet.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast