Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,919

2 members and 2,917 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Down to two retics come tomorrow!

well decide to just work with one breeding group two females GC het for albino an a Citron ..

Be looking to get my male next summer ..
    Motley lavender albino or
    Motely Sunfire lavender albino ..

Point of post is their a point when you can have to many retics?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Down to two retics come tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by robert7107 View Post
    well decide to just work with one breeding group two females GC het for albino an a Citron ..

Be looking to get my male next summer ..
    Motley lavender albino or
    Motely Sunfire lavender albino ..

Point of post is their a point when you can have to many retics?

Yes,

There is a point when you can have too many, too many of anything.

You'll have to refresh my memory, but you just got your first retic recently or am I mistaken? Then you purchased a boa constrictor for your girl?

I could have you mixed up with another member here so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought you asked about breeding retics before and decided not to after taking a pole?

I guess if breeding is your passion go for it, however keep in mind, the market is totally over saturated. The big breeders are pumping out hundreds and hundreds of these a year. I often wonder where the people are that keep these snakes for 15 or more years. I just don't see many folks here or anywhere posting about their long lived animals (retics). That's not to say there aren't any, but my guess is they are few and far. If nobody wants to purchase animals from you, or you sell only a few, you are stuck with several potentially very large snakes.

Honestly, I'd ease into this hobby whether you've done it before and are back after time off, or if you are a first timer.

My recommendation, and it is only mine that you can feel free to disagree with; is to enjoy the snakes you have and work on high end caging and visually attractive setups.

Spoil what you have and REALLY enjoy what you have.

I just inquired about Vital Exotics, the facility that I bought my animal from earlier today. I found they are getting out of the snake business. They had some of the nicest animals I've seen and they had excellent record keeping.

I like your Tiger retic and like that you are into the hobby. I just have seen far too many folks go "All Out" in a short period of time, only to be getting rid of everything 2-4 years down the road.

Just my two bits mate

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2018),C.Marie (06-06-2018),jmcrook (06-06-2018),Team Slytherin (06-15-2018)

Thanks
    Think I have you confused with another sir.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-06-2018),Bogertophis (06-07-2018)

Thanks

Ya.. I have retics went from BP to retics this winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Think I have you confused with another sir.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to robert7107 For This Useful Post:

Gio (06-07-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Yeah Gio had you confused with Sky. Gio, Robert actually sold a couple retics recently to narrow down his focus (from what I gather from the prior posts).

Robert, I think there's a point where anyone can have too much of anything! It does come down to the individual's circumstances and their drive and ability. What might be 'too much' for one person is a tip of the iceberg for others. As long as one can review their situation with an open mind and have (or get) an outside perspective and be happy with where they are, then go for it, man!
    heck, for a lot of people one retic is one too many
    For the Horde!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2018),C.Marie (06-06-2018),Gio (06-07-2018),jmcrook (06-06-2018),robert7107 (06-06-2018)

Thanks
    Absolutely, retics are a much bigger responsibility then many snakes the sure size means bigger food, huge enclosure, and more time to get everything they need and deserve , plus the biggest PUBLIC PERCEPTION! Have a poor mannered ball, corn or maybe some carpets no one cares throw reticulated or Burmese in front of the python they are monsters and what idiot would want to keep these monsters? By no way knocking you, there are so many reasons to love them the way the move , the colors, their intelligence, their scales (like a legless dragon) their faces, temperament I could go on all day. Please use the old say "Measure twice cut once" in other words if you know exactly what you want you see the road ahead for the next ten twenty years you do you, best wishes always. I every time I see Ceasers thread grin and then go to Morphmarket and dream of one day hold a snake as prefect as he is the struggle is real!
    Last edited by C.Marie; 06-06-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

11. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (06-06-2018)

Thanks

It was a decision done with a heavy heart an lots of thoughts . Trust me when I say this wasn't overnight decision... I broke down what it would cost to feed 4 retics an knowing I'll still need a male within the year to year an half to come possible two males .. 6 snakes eating rabbits ranging from 2-4lbs within the next year or less the cost is insane ... They were sold today an went to a good home that will take care of them very well I didn't get the money I wanted took a $70. loss but rather sit on them for weeks or even months wasn't in the cards..

I have my Dva GC an moira my Citron hopefully find a good male to breed then expand upon that...
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    Absolutely, retics are a much bigger responsibility then many snakes the sure size means bigger food, huge enclosure, and more time to get everything they need and deserve , plus the biggest PUBLIC PERCEPTION! Have a poor mannered ball, corn or maybe some carpets no one cares throw reticulated or Burmese in front of the python they are monsters and what idiot would want to keep these monsters? By no way knocking you, there are so many reasons to love them the way the move , the colors, their intelligence, their scales (like a legless dragon) their faces, temperament I could go on all day. Please use the old say "Measure twice cut once" in other words if you know exactly what you want you see the road ahead for the next ten twenty years you do you, best wishes always. I every time I see Ceasers thread grin and then go to Morphmarket and dream of one day hold a snake as prefect as he is the struggle is real!
    Last edited by robert7107; 06-06-2018 at 04:44 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to robert7107 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    Haha, Caesar is a character. Yesterday when i was cleaning and rearranging the T8s and T10s so i could fit Pat's T5 on the stack when it comes, Caesar thought it was dinner time and came flying out if his hide and cruised over to where i was standing and just laid his face on the litter dam and looked at me lol. I looked at him for a couple mins and then when he realized there was no petting or food coming, he went into his cool hide and curled up.

Retics are like boas in that everyone should own one imo

As to the OP, if you havent invested in one yet, get a chest freezer. I am feeling the burn without one as Caesar runs me about $20 every 2 weeks for food for him alone...then i got the little snakes every couple weeks and the big boas every 3-4 weeks. Not to mention, my spoiled beardie who loves worms. So she has to have her butterworms and hornworms. Luckily i breed dubias. But let me tell you, it adds up pretty quick at the petshop when dinner day falls on the same day for everyone lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-06-2018)

Thanks

My girlfriend's parents say I can use their extra chest freezer in their pool house ..
    I'm estimating with the two retics $16-20 every two weeks once they go to rabbits ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Haha, Caesar is a character. Yesterday when i was cleaning and rearranging the T8s and T10s so i could fit Pat's T5 on the stack when it comes, Caesar thought it was dinner time and came flying out if his hide and cruised over to where i was standing and just laid his face on the litter dam and looked at me lol. I looked at him for a couple mins and then when he realized there was no petting or food coming, he went into his cool hide and curled up.

Retics are like boas in that everyone should own one imo

As to the OP, if you havent invested in one yet, get a chest freezer. I am feeling the burn without one as Caesar runs me about $20 every 2 weeks for food for him alone...then i got the little snakes every couple weeks and the big boas every 3-4 weeks. Not to mention, my spoiled beardie who loves worms. So she has to have her butterworms and hornworms. Luckily i breed dubias. But let me tell you, it adds up pretty quick at the petshop when dinner day falls on the same day for everyone lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Yeah Gio had you confused with Sky. Gio, Robert actually sold a couple retics recently to narrow down his focus (from what I gather from the prior posts).

Robert, I think there's a point where anyone can have too much of anything! It does come down to the individual's circumstances and their drive and ability. What might be 'too much' for one person is a tip of the iceberg for others. As long as one can review their situation with an open mind and have (or get) an outside perspective and be happy with where they are, then go for it, man!
    heck, for a lot of people one retic is one too many
    April!! BINGO,,

I screwed this up. Apologies for not catching it during my long reply post.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (06-08-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast