Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,917

3 members and 2,914 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Spider morph?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

65 44.83%
  • No!

48 33.10%
  • Maybe...would have to think about it.

32 22.07%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Personal Opinions on Spiders

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    But there's other issues in the reptile breeding industry that are not right ...the one I have an issue with also is producing scaleless reptiles. I'm sorry but that's so messed up. Why are we taking their scales away that they've had since the beginning of time, for human pleasure . C'MON !!!!
    Suddenly you are the expert, jury and judge on animal breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Godzilla78;2681323]Suddenly you are the expert, jury and judge on animal breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk.[/QUO

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Squeeze me?

This is a thread asking for personal opinions. Respect people when they give you what it asks for.

I'm not saying we have to agree with them but we do need to try and be somewhat tolerant of differences to the extent of avoiding giving offense where it is not warranted.

MY opinion ( for the lick of spit it deserves ), I love how some of the spider combo's look but haven't yet moved into owning any. Sugar/ calico spider may eventually change my mind though.

If my first breeding season from it produced nothing but train wrecks though there almost certainly wouldn't be a second.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Dianne (02-27-2019),EDR (02-28-2019),Pengil (03-10-2019)

Thanks

I don’t think it should be banded, but personally it is nothing I would buy or breed. I looooove the way they look, but I wouldn’t want to watch the wobble.

I agree we have to respect each other’s views rather we agree or not. I think a responsible breeder wouldn’t want to produce and sell anything but perfect..... but obviously other people feel different and that’s OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

At first I stayed away from spiders then I asked others about what they thought and after thinking long and hard on my own I ended up buying a few spiders. I currently have an orange dream spider and an enchi spider, I dont think I'll be getting anymore spider morphs, even though my two females eat without issues and little to no wobble.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I was looking at a number of different spider combos today at the Richmond show. They are beautiful snakes and none of those I saw displayed showed any wobble. That said, I didn’t handle any either because I wasn’t planning to buy any animals...until I saw the banana pinstripe. For me personally, I don’t think I would breed a spider morph, because I’d hate to have the potential of culling any offspring. However, I wouldn’t have anything against owning one as a pet. They’re gorgeous.
    Well, fast forward a few months and last week I added an albino pastel spider. He’s about a year and a half old and extremely shy. I picked him up on Saturday and settled him into a quarantine tub. The prior owner said both snakes I bought were overdue for feeding, so I offered f/t weanling rats to both on Tuesday. No problems with either feeding, but in particular I’d like to mention the spider had no issues at all striking and ‘killing’ his rat. He had no trouble lining it up to swallow, or moving around his tub. I handled him for just a few minutes tonight. Other than being skittish and jerking away quickly when you touch his neck or head, he showed no issues moving and no wobble at all. Once back in his tub, he was calmly cruising around. I wish all my new additions fed as well as he does.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

Thanks
    For me as a newbie to ball pythons I have been massively impressed with how beautiful the spiders look.
    Abd then kinda sad to learn about their neurological issues.
    The cool thing is that I found out almost immediately, it’s very accessible information for a noob like me doing just the slightest amount of research. That’s gotta be a good thing.

There are some things that research doesn’t give me a clear answer to... like is the animal suffering? Is it in pain? Is it morally right etc... the more you try to find the answers to that kinda question the more subjective and polarized the answers. People who own spiders are probably less likely to say negative things about them... like you wouldn’t say your own kids are ugly. The point is, very hard to find unbiased opinions. (This thread is a great read, nobody getting too angry.)

So let’s say you could ignore all of thise questions. Then how do you make a decision?
    Petsonally even if it was 100% proved that they are completely fine, I still don’t find the wobble an attractive visual aspect. The extreme examples are are not cool to see. And even a slight wobble would put me off... I guess because it would instantly remind me of the bad cases, and of this whole debate.

It’s a real shame because they look stunning. My hope is that a wobble-free variation of the gene will be discovered.
    0.1 Lesser Het Pied
    0.1 Leopard Pastel Het Pied
    1.0 CG/Banana Enchi Mojave
    1.0 Spotnose Pastel Leopard Het ghost ph. pied

Thanks
    I would never buy or support the breeding of animals that have known issues from inbreeding/bad genes. That includes pure bred dogs. My pure bred beagle's spinal disks were disintegrating by the time she was 5 and left her paralyzed, and that was it for me.

I'm not an expert on snake neurology, but the spider wobble is a painfully obvious departure from normal snake behavior. Whether it causes pain or not, its affecting motor skills.

No thanks!

Thanks
    i love the special needs misfits so i would def adopt one with a wobble. i also think they're a good looking snake, we have one (no real wobble issues) and i'd consider buying another. i wouldn't breed them myself, though.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

Thanks
    My 2nd ball was a stinger bee. He showed a little wobble when I brought him home from the reptile expo, however since putting him inside of a tub with the correct humidity and temperature the wobble has almost completely disappeared. I think it's pretty obvious based on what research I've done that the wobble gets worse with stress and poor husbandry. Having had this snake for a while and showing him the proper care I've noticed the wobble rarely shows up and he has no problems moving around his tub or feeding. Sometimes he will miss when feeding but I have a normal as well and a Pastel Mojave that have both missed from time to time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to E-squirrel For This Useful Post:

MarkL1561 (03-30-2019)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast