Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,998

0 members and 2,998 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Spider morph?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

65 44.83%
  • No!

48 33.10%
  • Maybe...would have to think about it.

32 22.07%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Personal Opinions on Spiders

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    This guy gets it. It is the reason I am here. This is where the experienced small time breeders hang out, and they are willing to discuss things. There is a lot of knowledge here that is based on real world experience.
    The entire subject of this thread is opinion based and thus bias in nature.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Spiders are a beautiful morph. That being said, I do not condone breeding them. No I am not going to approach someone and say "Hey stop breeding spider/other neuro issue morphs!" because its not my place. But in my personal opinion, the ones that exist should go to pet only homes and have good rest of their lives, and stop being bred. The wobble is a trait that cannot be bred out, or be bred to be less visible. A spider with low wobble can make a baby thats so bad it can't eat on its own, and I don't feel it is fair to the animal to breed them just for being pretty when they have issues like this. Its just personal opinion of course, and people are going to continue doing what they like with their animals no matter what so.
    i-m-snek on tumblr
    Spazhime on reddit
    Hardy Reptiles on facebook

The one and only

Thanks

I don't think there's one right answer to this, if there were, it require lots of scientific testing, years of keeping and breeding this morph with different blood lines, different conditions, etc. which would cost a lot. I also think trying to find one specific answer to this debate is a reason why they passed that law in UK reptile shows. Just my opinion.

I think the overall questions are these. If you choose to breed spider BPs, are you comfortable with knowing you will see wobbling from time to time? Are you comfortable with the POSSIBILITY* of having to cull a higher percentage of animals than you would with a different gene? Are you confident that you will produce healthy animals (this goes for breeding any animal of course)? Do you believe and does your experience with Spiders indicate to you that the snake is not in pain (open to opinion)? And are you able to stand by your product truly knowing you are selling a healthy animal?

Let me just say I have never kept a spider, not because of anything wrong with it, just because I never got one. But I think these questions need to be taken into consideration.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

I guess I feel about them the same way I do about super ultra dog breeds that have been bred to the point of being unhealthy. I would adopt one if it was given to me free as an unwanted animal. I would never pay for one, and I would never breed one.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    My opinion is strong.
    They need to stop being reproduced. Yes they are pretty but there are many other morphs to choose from and new ones to come. I think the defects and the wobbles take away the snake's dignity, is the only way I know how to put it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    My opinion is strong.
    They need to stop being reproduced. Yes they are pretty but there are many other morphs to choose from and new ones to come. I think the defects and the wobbles take away the snake's dignity, is the only way I know how to put it.
    I used to think so too, but now I have 2 adult spiders and they are totally normal acting and it’s nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk.

Thanks
    But there's other issues in the reptile breeding industry that are not right ...the one I have an issue with also is producing scaleless reptiles. I'm sorry but that's so messed up. Why are we taking their scales away that they've had since the beginning of time, for human pleasure . C'MON !!!!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

But there's other issues in the reptile breeding industry that are not right ...the one I have an issue with also is producing scaleless reptiles. I'm sorry but that's so messed up. Why are we taking their scales away that they've had since the beginning of time, for human pleasure . C'MON !!!!
    Scaleless occur naturally it's a mutation like any other and they thrive, Spiders thrive too not many are train wrecks like for everything else clueless people exagerate things, but in the age where every newbie is an expert it's to be expected.

At that rate any mutation is a defect that should not be bred really, everytime you breed there is a chance to produce a train wreck that will not thrive and that will need to be euthanize, that's just the way it is, I have never euthanized a Spider but had to euthanize other mutations, that is part of breeding and that is where being ethical is important and that apply to all animals.

Dogs probably should not be bred either by you standard neither should they be owned yet people own dog and people breed them. I would not breed them but I would never pass judgement on people who do.

Honestly if I did not know any better I would think that you are a PETA plant because you sure start to sound like them.

Yet it's pretty easy, if you do not like something don't buy it, don't breed it however start to open your mind, (little less ignorance, more knowledge and less absolute.)

BTW on captivity everything is bred or owned for human pleasure so you comment is really hypocritical since last time I check you did own snakes unless you think your is the snake's pleasure to be owned by you.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (03-09-2019),Dianne (02-26-2019),Pengil (03-10-2019),pretends2bnormal (02-26-2019),the_rotten1 (02-27-2019)

Thanks

A lot if sarcasm I pick up from your comment but that's okay. I don't think anybody should breed dogs or cats until the shelters are empty and the streets are empty.... yeah that's my opinion. I see some terrible things.
    My snakes and my other animals are here for my pleasure and for the love and joy of having them and I am here for theirs and to make their life wonderful until the day they die. PETA really?!?
    Last edited by Jellybeans; 02-26-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Personal Opinions on Spiders

A lot if sarcasm I pick up from your comment but that's okay. I don't think anybody should breed dogs or cats until the shelters are empty and the streets are empty.... yeah that's my opinion. I see some terrible things.
    My snakes and my other animals are here for my pleasure and for the love and joy of having them and I am here for theirs and to make their life wonderful until the day they die. PETA really?!?
    So you can own any animals you want for YOUR pleasure, but are quick to judge others for their choices in owning animals.
    Tsk tsk

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 02-26-2019 at 11:04 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (02-26-2019)

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast