Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,006

2 members and 3,004 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Spider morph?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

65 44.83%
  • No!

48 33.10%
  • Maybe...would have to think about it.

32 22.07%
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Personal Opinions on Spiders

Of course, now that I have decided to get a rack from CSerpants, I now seem to find myself looking at Morph Market for ideas on how to fill the second space in the rack. I have plenty of ideas, but I also seem to be starting to get a nice eye for spider morphs, especially different "Bees". Knowing that they have neurological issues, though, i'm really having a debate in my head whether or not I would want to support that. I know many of them don't have the wobble too terribly bad, and I wouldnt mind picking up a snake with neuro issues, but its knowing that they are deliberately bred with people knowing they could possibly suffer that bothers me. What is your guy's opinion on this? I know this can be a heated issue in the community, but I was curious what the majority may be.
    Last edited by Slicercrush; 06-05-2018 at 12:37 PM.

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Re: Personal Opinions on Spiders

As someone who owns a snake with a gene that can have similar neurological issues (Woma) I think you shouldn't automatically rule them out, it's very variable. My Woma doesn't really have much issue most of the time, and the many of them have a wobble on the more subtle side. If you like them, I don't think you should let that deter you from getting one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (06-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

As a general rule the issues surrounding spider, woma, champagne exc. Do not affect the day to day lives of the snake. I have several wobble genes including one spider that is a bad wobbler. He still eats breeds and sheds just like any other snake in my rack. So I can only say don't go by the gene go by the animal. And you may find you like a beautiful bee.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StillBP For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-05-2018),PitOnTheProwl (02-20-2019),Turbo Serpent (06-05-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

My Spiders that actively wobble when excited or during feeding seem to suffer no ill effects other than the occasional weak/missed strikes, 99.5% of the time they are asymptomatic.

Any Spider morph I produce with passive wobble gets culled immediately regardless of value/genetics. I'm not for weakening bloodlines or propagating defective pets.
    *.* TNTC

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

paulh (06-06-2018),PitOnTheProwl (02-20-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StillBP View Post
    As a general rule the issues surrounding spider, woma, champagne exc. Do not affect the day to day lives of the snake. I have several wobble genes including one spider that is a bad wobbler. He still eats breeds and sheds just like any other snake in my rack. So I can only say don't go by the gene go by the animal. And you may find you like a beautiful bee.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Wasn't ruling them out in the slightest, just curious about what others thought! I always think I have the perfect gene i want then *bam* i find another. Right now its between some sort of bee, pied, banana...so many...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slicercrush For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (08-30-2018)

Thanks
    too many legs, burn them with fire.

except jumping spiders. I like jumping spiders.

jumping spider

Edit: ahhh spider morph. got ya. lol I prefer the banana and enchis and bees.
    Last edited by Apiratenamedjohn; 06-05-2018 at 01:44 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Apiratenamedjohn For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-05-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't have a spider but I'm well aware of the wobbling gene some may have. But that would have not stopped me if I wanted one badly. It is similar to the idea of should one continue to support the breeding of certain dog breeds, like the English bulldog? They can barely breathe, they can't give birth naturally and have other genetic issues.

To answer your question, your support of whatever it is in demand, like the English bulldog, will make not matter in the grand scheme of things. If you don't buy one, someone else will. If you do get one, you are giving a good home to that pet. Which do you prefer? Some people should not breed but they will continue. So what you can do about it is to pick a reputable breeder who tries not to breed the wobble gene if it is such a concern to you.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Apiratenamedjohn (06-05-2018),Ronniex2 (08-30-2018)

Thanks

I had this same type of question about a year ago when picking my first bp. We had a good discussion about it, so ill share the thread in case you'd like to see
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=251010

Ultimately its what you feel ok with. My lil spider combo has wobble only when she eats and get excited. She is my best eater and switched from live mice to f/t rat without hesitation. Great personality and temperment too!

If you're having a hard time deciding on a morph/snake , which one do you keep looking at and going back to? Thats how i pick now because i missed out on a stellar calico banana one time. Also be sure to look at adults with the same morph/s so you have an idea how it will look when grown, thats pretty important too.

And heres a pic of my spider super mystic because well. Why not haha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roux For This Useful Post:

Baldbugguy777 (07-29-2018),Ronniex2 (06-07-2018),Sonny1318 (06-05-2018),the_rotten1 (06-05-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    I had this same type of question about a year ago when picking my first bp. We had a good discussion about it, so ill share the thread in case you'd like to see
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=251010

Ultimately its what you feel ok with. My lil spider combo has wobble only when she eats and get excited. She is my best eater and switched from live mice to f/t rat without hesitation. Great personality and temperment too!

If you're having a hard time deciding on a morph/snake , which one do you keep looking at and going back to? Thats how i pick now because i missed out on a stellar calico banana one time. Also be sure to look at adults with the same morph/s so you have an idea how it will look when grown, thats pretty important too.

And heres a pic of my spider super mystic because well. Why not haha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Gorgeous snakes, ill give it a look over! Im currently trying to see which one stands out the most for me in my pricepoint of $200-350 (without shipping). Ill see one animal, really enjoy it, keep scrolling, find another, "oo, shiny!"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    Just found a Banana Spider...those are quite pretty. Right now Im sure I want to get a banana, spider, or pied morph, probably more than 1 gene, though I may go for a blue eyed lucy because white snakes are just gorgeous.

0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast