Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

0 members and 3,143 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Breeding????

Thanks

Breeding????

Why does it seem that everyone wants to breed these animals? I have to admit I was one at first, but then when I got on this site it occurred to me that it’s easier to just buy what I want and not go through the hassle of having a lot of snakes to get the one your after sometimes years and years later. Do many of the people on here want to in the beginning and then realize it’s not as easy as it looks? Or are there other reasons why u chose to breed or not to. And I’m mostly talking about when u were noobs. Why did u are why didn’t you?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Breeding????

I started breeding ball pythons initially because the morphs I wanted were in the $100K range.

With crazy depreciation in morph value: I do it now for fun. What I do not enjoy: Rejecting Sales to Inexperienced Keepers/Rejecting Sales to Annoying Buyers/Finding Good Homes for Snakes With Defects/Rodent Maintenance...all of those details suck...
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-31-2019)

Thanks
    I plan on doing a bit of breeding when my snakes mature a bit more because it's a way to make a few morphs that I really want but are either hard to find or somewhat expensive. For example, I really love black pastel mojaves, Bels, and butter spiders, and my planned pairing will produce all of these, with a dash of orange ghost in there for good measure.

Thanks

Two reasons for me, 1. Because what i want is expensive, for me anything over 1k is expensive for a snake. I very much have the "i can make it myself mentality" so i rather spend some money on materials and make it myself for cheaper. This goes for anything i can build or create with my hands.
    2. I live on a farm and have grown up in such a way that having and breeding animals is what i do. Ive raised and bred chickens, cows ducks sheep you name it. For me it is a joy. Snakes are different from mammals so a new learning experience is there too. I havent bred bps yet but soon i shall try.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Started out because in 2006 I wanted a Pied, I could not justify spending over 10K for a pet snake so I settle for the next best thing and bought a pair of het pieds for $1200.

I got hooked with my first clutch, I started to want more and since I had an expensive taste I decided to produced what I wanted, then the collection paid for itself, than it made a profit and now here I am basically I found my calling as I always dreamed to work with animals since I was a child, is it easy work or easy money? Nope it's a lot of work, heartache at time and it's not for everyone.

The issue with a lot of people now is they barely have a 3 months of ownership under their belt and they want to breed when they don't realize that in most cases the morph they want is within range and will cost less if they were saving for it than trying to produce it. They don't see the cost of breeding, they don't have goals or plan, they just want put two snakes together and hope for the best. There is a reason why you see collection sale all the time.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-31-2019)

Thanks
    To me breeding is about creation. I get a chance to make beautiful snakes, keep the ones I want and find the others good homes. While I don't really enjoy the sales aspect, there's nothing more fulfilling to me than when one of my customers contacts me to say that I've make their day because they've received one of my snakes.

Granted, the main reason I breed is for my own enjoyment, but if all I wanted was to keep snakes I could just buy what I wanted. Many of my desired morphs are out of my budget now, but I could wait until I make more money or they're more affordable. If I did that though, I'd miss out on all the joys of breeding, raising hatchlings, and sharing my love of snakes with others who are interested in them. I sold a group of double het Pied/Gstripes earlier this month and the other breeder was so excited to welcome them into her collection.

Like many here, I love animals and I've always wanted to work with them. But to get a little more personal, I've always wanted to breed in particular. At various points in my childhood I wanted to be a farmer or to breed domestic cats. Maybe if I had more time, money, and space I would have. So perhaps I'm just a breeder at heart and snakes were an easier animal to work with, given my current limitations.

Hell, if I had my druthers and tons of money I might even build a big cat sanctuary and breed tigers and other large felines. I'm worried about the future of endangered species. Granted, there's not much we can do in terms of releasing most big cats back into the wild, but at least breeding in captivity can keep some species from going completely extinct.
    Last edited by the_rotten1; 03-30-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Not interested. I own a single male normal BP. Morphs are pretty, but not something I covet. Would love to own an extra large adult female normal, but, she would stay a pet. Anyway, the collection emph. seems to be heading mostly into the NA rat snakes. The only animals I'd ever consider breeding would be species/distinct localities that are endangered in the wild, and I would want to do so in association with a larger conservation group. Aquarists tend be drawn to breeding fish that are endangered in the wild (see Greg Sage videos, also White Cloud Mt. minnow as an ex.), but even with fish, I'd be worried about the quality of future caretakers. Breeding would involve too much effort dealing with people; I don't trust people....never have.
    Last edited by distaff; 03-30-2019 at 11:45 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Dianne (03-31-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I might sound selfish here. But for me, having a goal andcthen achieving it provides a sense of Self Worth, and Achievement. I want a Leopard Vanilla Banana Pied. I don't know if it exists or is achievable. But the satisfaction I will have once I produce it, is the reason I breed Ball Pythons. Ifvthat even makes sense.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Coral Glow Pastel
    1.0 Ginger Enchi
    1.0 Spectre
    1.0 BlackPastel Yellowbelly
    1.0 Albino
    1.0 Fire
    1.0 Enchi Mojave
    1.0 Enchi
    1.0 Calico