Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ


» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 61,033
Threads: 232,950
Posts: 2,409,551
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, felixaa

View Poll Results: Substrate Poll

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use EcoEarth

    14 58.33%
  • I do not use EcoEarth

    9 37.50%
  • Other

    1 4.17%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Eco Earth

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-14-2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    389
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 142 Times in 130 Posts

    Re: Eco Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I used Eco earth a few years ago and then went into a Eco earth x Orchid bark mix . Nowadays I just use Orchid bark ( maybe known as reptibark over in the states ..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Never heard of that mix, I'll have to try it sometime!
    -Annie and the snakes

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieHeart For This Useful Post:

    Zincubus (06-07-2018)

  3. #22
    Registered User rottn's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-17-2018
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
    Images: 5
    I'm sorta in the middle of trying all kinds of different substrates to see what will work best for me. Haven't tried Eco Earth yet, but it'll be my next one to try based on these comments! Thanks for sharing everybody!

  4. #23
    BPnet Senior Member Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    3,930
    Thanks
    1,539
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,376 Posts

    Eco Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by rottn View Post
    I'm sorta in the middle of trying all kinds of different substrates to see what will work best for me. Haven't tried Eco Earth yet, but it'll be my next one to try based on these comments! Thanks for sharing everybody!
    Orchid bark ( ReptiBark ) looks great and looks natural , makes your snakes colour stand out and is great for controlling humidity levels..




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 06-09-2018 at 10:28 PM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

    rottn (06-09-2018)

  6. #24
    Registered User Valyrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-19-2018
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    285
    Thanks
    261
    Thanked 192 Times in 108 Posts
    Images: 15

    Re: Eco Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Orchid bark ( ReptiBark ) looks great and looks natural , makes your snakes colour stand out and is great for controlling humidity levels..




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Apparently Zoo Med reckon you can wash the bark and use it again and again. Anyone tried that and is it true? I would think poop and urates would be problematic.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

  7. #25
    BPnet Senior Member Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    3,930
    Thanks
    1,539
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,376 Posts

    Re: Eco Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    Apparently Zoo Med reckon you can wash the bark and use it again and again. Anyone tried that and is it true? I would think poop and urates would be problematic.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I've washed and re-used Orchid bark ( Reptibark ) in the past .

    You just pick out the obvious dried waste plus urates then wash in a large tub .. I added some f10 to the water .. mixed it around then drained off and added more water , mix around and drain .. repeat a couple more times .
    The hardest part is drying it out so I used to clean on a hot sunny day and dry it out on a sheet .
    You could presumably dry it in an oven ??




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

    Valyrian (06-11-2018)

  9. #26
    Registered User Valyrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-19-2018
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    285
    Thanks
    261
    Thanked 192 Times in 108 Posts
    Images: 15

    Re: Eco Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I've washed and re-used Orchid bark ( Reptibark ) in the past .

    You just pick out the obvious dried waste plus urates then wash in a large tub .. I added some f10 to the water .. mixed it around then drained off and added more water , mix around and drain .. repeat a couple more times .
    The hardest part is drying it out so I used to clean on a hot sunny day and dry it out on a sheet .
    You could presumably dry it in an oven ??




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's awesome as it would save a lot of money in the long term. I saw a video the other day where a guy was saying he cleans his vivs but never fully removes the substrate from the edges as there's research to say the smells in the substrate make snakes feel more comfortable.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

  10. #27
    BPnet Senior Member Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    3,930
    Thanks
    1,539
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,376 Posts

    Re: Eco Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    That's awesome as it would save a lot of money in the long term. I saw a video the other day where a guy was saying he cleans his vivs but never fully removes the substrate from the edges as there's research to say the smells in the substrate make snakes feel more comfortable.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    To be honest I cleaned a whole batch of the stuff a while back ( collected it all over the months ) but never got around to drying it all out and in the end I bought a HUGE bag of Orchid bark off eBay for a ridiculously low price then I put the old stuff on the garden as a weed suppressor . It works great for keeping cats away as well as a bonus


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

    Valyrian (06-12-2018)

  12. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-14-2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    389
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 142 Times in 130 Posts

    Re: Eco Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Orchid bark ( ReptiBark ) looks great and looks natural , makes your snakes colour stand out and is great for controlling humidity levels..




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It sure does look like a great natural looking substrate!
    -Annie and the snakes

  13. #29
    BPnet Senior Member Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    3,930
    Thanks
    1,539
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,376 Posts

    Re: Eco Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieHeart View Post
    It sure does look like a great natural looking substrate!
    The substrate looks natural but the snake looks anything but natural !

    Half love the Hybrid and the other half hate it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  14. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-20-2016
    Posts
    510
    Thanks
    343
    Thanked 267 Times in 195 Posts
    Images: 1
    Iíve used eco earth in the past and it worked for what I needed it to accomplish. However I just recently made the switch to the reptichip/coco chip substrate; a lot less dusty, doesnít get everywhere or stick to everything and itís easier to work with ďdryĒ. I could not use dry cococoir in my cages.... too dusty and messy. The chips are big enough pieces and donít produce nearly as much dust but hold humidity and suppress odor just as well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Iíve used eco earth in the past and it worked for what I needed it to accomplish. However I just recently made the switch to the reptichip/coco chip substrate; a lot less dusty, doesnít get everywhere or stick to everything and itís easier to work with ďdryĒ. I could not use dry cococoir in my cages.... too dusty and messy. The chips are big enough pieces and donít produce nearly as much dust but hold humidity and suppress odor just as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1