Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

1 members and 3,225 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Reptile prime and feeding

Who feeds their snakes on reptile prime bedding? I just switched to it, and previously have always used newspaper for substrate. But everything I heard about this stuff keeping humidity well along with the fact that it looks better got me to try it. Just worried about feeding.

Thanks

Re: Reptile prime and feeding

I use it and like it alot. It is great for humidity. As far as feeding, I put a square piece of cardboard in the cage and set the F/T on it. I guess sorta like a dinner plate
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
    I use it and like it alot. It is great for humidity. As far as feeding, I put a square piece of cardboard in the cage and set the F/T on it. I guess sorta like a dinner plate
    they don’t drag the feeder off of it? Lol

Thanks

I use it and I love it. Ive never had a problem with feeding him on it. But now I probably just jinxed myself!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cfd701 View Post
    I use it and I love it. Ive never had a problem with feeding him on it. But now I probably just jinxed myself!
    just seems like the fibers would get stuck in the rats hair. Definitely don’t want my snake eating the substrate lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
    just seems like the fibers would get stuck in the rats hair. Definitely don’t want my snake eating the substrate lol.

Im no expert by any means. And I've done the same thing your doing by looking on forums and sites trying to find out if the substrate could get into the snakes mouth and cause an issue. I will say ive come across 2 theories. The first being that you should try to feed the snake on a small paper plate or something like that to limit the substrate being ingested and then #2 being that snakes in the wild do eat there food on dirt and whatever is on the ground. I only can speak for myself and I only have dealt with corn snakes and balls but ive always fed them in there substrate. Maybe ive just been lucky?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cfd701 View Post
    Im no expert by any means. And I've done the same thing your doing by looking on forums and sites trying to find out if the substrate could get into the snakes mouth and cause an issue. I will say ive come across 2 theories. The first being that you should try to feed the snake on a small paper plate or something like that to limit the substrate being ingested and then #2 being that snakes in the wild do eat there food on dirt and whatever is on the ground. I only can speak for myself and I only have dealt with corn snakes and balls but ive always fed them in there substrate. Maybe ive just been lucky?
    See I’m think along the same lines. I’m the wild surely the ground gets stuck to the prey at least time to time. I think sometimes we just get paranoid about some things that we don’t need to be. With that said I just want to make sure it won’t be an issue, and I imagine the snake would have to ingest a large amount of the substrate for it to have an impact. I just wanted others experiences.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
    I have been using reptile prime for about 6 months for my ball python and for my milk snake with no issue. This is hands down my favorite bedding. It holds the humidity great for my bp and holds the tunnels great for my milk snake. I put down a paper towel before I feed my ball python and I dry the rat pretty thoroughly after thawing it. There was one occasion where she drug the rat off of the paper towel and it did get a little bit of substrate stuck to it, but she worked it out of the corner of her mouth no problem, which was way better than the struggles we used to have with zoo med Forest Floor. I used to have to help her get wood chips out of her mouth after every meal because the stuff always seemed to stick the the prey item no matter how dry I got it. The Reptile Prime is pretty finely ground, but not as fine as something like eco earth. This has meant that any time is has gotten in my girls’ mouths, they’ve been able to work it out themselves no problem and if they do swallow a little, I’m not concerned with their ability to pass it. If the rat is mostly dry, I don’t think you’re going to run into any problems.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kethith For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-03-2019),cfd701 (09-03-2019),Waterman (09-03-2019)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I changed all of my amazon tree boas to reptile prime over the last 6 or so months. I'm really enjoying this substrate for them. I feed f/t (sometimes wet) and cannot feed these snakes on a 'plate' as they enthusiastically coil and will move the feeder all over the place. They are not always the brightest of snakes and will sometimes miss a strike and get a mouth full of substrate. I usually walk away for a bit, they adjust their jaws which gets most substrate out, I've also seen them go and take a nice drink of water which usually also gets substate out, then I can offer the food again. They have taken bits of the substrate in before (either because it was in their mouth still or stuck to the feeder) and I haven't had any issues. Now I'm going to go knock on wood lol
    For the Horde!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (09-03-2019),EL-Ziggy (09-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

All of my snakes are on Reptile Prime and haven't had any issues with feeding. They don't ingest much of it at all from what I've seen.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast