Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,055

0 members and 3,055 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Craigslist rescue

I'm apparently back in the ball game... story time.

I used to keep quite a few balls, my best was a nerd lavender albino het. It was an expensive animal at the time. And I was partnered with a ton of redtails. My partner and I also made plastic cages, rat racks etc. I bred a bunch of dart frogs, all kinds of stuff. But i have been snake less for over a decade now. Just dogs and cats. My 9yo son has been asking for a green snake for probably 2 years now but I've been dragging my feet. I just haven't been that excited about dead cricket smell.

Anyway I was perusing the free section of cl a couple weeks ago and found an ad for a free bp, along with a sales price of $100, no pics. So I emailed and spent a couple weeks going back and forth. She was originally trying to sell but gave up and just needed a home. She didn't have pics but said it was a female dreamcicle, 2.5 feet long. I found that.... intriguing.

A couple more emails and finally a pic, and an apology. Not a dreamcicle, but an orange dream. I was a little dissapointed but for what I was intending a pure normal was absolutely fine, my son was going to freak regardless.

I went to look at snake a couple days ago and get the background. The snake is "at least 4 years old" and was bought at a local reptile/exotics store called incredible pets by current Owners friend. Original owner moved and asked current to take care of her. Current owner has decided she is in over her head, snake is not feeding etc and she wants a good home. So really, I'm probably a pretty good person to talk to even though I'm going to have to remember a whole lot I haven't thought about in a long time. At least the background is there to start from.

Anyway, she's 4 to 6 years old but only 995g. She was getting fed every "3 to 4" weeks, I'm guessing for her entire life. No thermometer but obviously the cage temp is low. But despite that she looks pretty clean and surprisingly healthy just tiny for her age. And she is a "orange dream crossed with something". The owner assumed ut was a ball crossed with some other type of snake and thats why she was small. I had tomexplain thats not the way it works... So mystery snake ☺. She's obviously been handled well, very inquisitive after only a few seconds of handling. All in all, a good ball and a pretty girl. I'm warming her up now and will try feeding tomorrow. She needs to fatten up to say the least. They said they had only fed live but hopefully she's hungry enough once warmed up to take frozen.

My son is ecstatic and she'll have a good home. Good week, even if she's not a dreamcicle. I'll have to find a way to post pics here, I'm curious what others think the "something" she's crossed with is.
    Last edited by Indy; 06-04-2018 at 11:01 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Indy For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (06-04-2018),Bogertophis (06-05-2018),C.Marie (06-04-2018),Mislytherin (06-04-2018),SMTHook (06-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Welcome to the forum and welcome back to snake ownership!!

For picture uploading, the easiest way to go about it is by downloading the free app Tapatalk and linking ball-pythons.net Makes it super simple to attach pics to your threads.

Can't wait to hear more about your new girl! It's generally advisable to let them settle for a week or so before offering the first meal. Stress from relocation alone could make her reject a meal, especially if the meal is unfamiliar like f/t. You may have to try live a few times. But you probably know that with your experience, just thought I'd throw it out there.

What's your girl's name?

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Indy For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (06-06-2018)

Thanks

Looks like flikr still works, stupid photobucket.

Fortunately it was a short relocation for her and besides warming things up adding a cold hide I haven't messed with her home yet so we'll see. I thought about going live to start but Im hoping she is hungry enough that I don't have to. If all else fails I'll get some food in her and worry about switching later. Id rather refreeze than have a pet rodent for a while.

My son decided to keep her name, so pics are of sushi :laugh: I'll have to get a belly pic later, no matter how many cookies I offered she just wont roll over on command....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Indy For This Useful Post:

the_rotten1 (06-06-2018)

Thanks
    Congratulations, what a beautiful od spider right? Glad you and your son have this lovely lady to bound over... next a banana bp right
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Thanks
    Last edited by Indy; 06-04-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks
    Spider was my immediate thought but it's been a while so im trying to not make assumptions. And wow, are there a lot more variations out there now than the last time I looked. Paperwork would be nice. Back In the day a spider was not exactly an inexpensive animal. But no matter, for free and a happy kid I think I did pretty good

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indy For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (06-04-2018),Mislytherin (06-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    She's beautiful!

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks

Re: Craigslist rescue

Congrats on your new snake!! You’ll love owning ball pythons again, I recently did the same thing. Once your in the game you’re in the game!

I’d call this sweet girl a spider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Craigslist rescue

Glad she got a good home! She deserves it
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast