Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,571

1 members and 2,570 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: new ball python

Thanks

new ball python

Hello everyone. I just bought my first ball python on Suday. I am considering breeding mice/rats for feeders. he was hatched on 8/5/05 so he isnt very big. Would an adult mouse be too big for him to eat? I want to breed mice because they are smaller and it would seem to be easier to breed them instead of rats. would 1.2 mice be too much for one ball to eat? I've kept guinea pigs for years and feel that raising mice in some rubbermaid tubs shouldn't be too difficult. I just dont know what to feed him while i wait for babies? Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

JT

Edit: I do realize i should give him some time before trying to feed him. I want to get on a sunday evening feeding schedule. I figure a week in his 10G aquarium is adequate time for him to get comfortable.

Thanks

Re: new ball python

Yes give him time to acclimate - about a week undisturbed is what folks usually recommend. If he is that young a full grown mouse MIGHT be too big (mice fade from memory sorry). In general if the mouse/rat is about the same girth as the BP you're good to go.

I am not sure I follow on the 1.2 being too much. Is that a gender breakdown or do you have a fifth of a mouse laying about? Mice and rats are both fairly easy to breed - however mice are much much stankier than the rats.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

I would stick with hopper mice for 5 - 7 feedings (weekly) then try small adult mice.

In my experience, breeding your own feeders for a single snake is much more work than it's actually worth. You can get frozen thawed online for a fraction of what it would cost for the housing, food, bedding, and cleaning time of breeding your own.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

"mice are much much stankier than the rats" I did not know that. I was thinking 1 male, 2 female mice, but after reading some posts i see that a litter of 6-12 per month per female is a bit over kill. I think i will just breed one female and male mouse for food until he gets a bit older. What should i do about feeding him until i have some mouse hoppers? If i bring home my breeder mice tonight and she gets pregnant right away its still going to take at the very least 6 weeks (3 weeks gestation + 3 weeks weaning) before i have food for him.

Thanks again for your help

JT

Thanks

Why can't you buy baby mice or frozen baby mice to feed him in the interim?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtman
    "mice are much much stankier than the rats" I did not know that.

It seems counterintuitive, I know. Try it sometime though and the difference is pretty phenomenal. I am not sure of the mechanics involved but it turned us off of breeding mice in a hurry.

What sort of resources do you have available locally as far as pet stores go?

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks

I live in the metro detroit area and have many petstore available. Petsmart, petco, pet supplies plus, and a half a dozen mom n pop pet stores. I know a few at least will sell frozen food in a variety of sizes. I guess i really want to see him eat a live meal. I am so amazed and intrigued by this ball python. Im going to petco in a little while (they are the only ones that actually sell ball pythons) and see what they have to offer as far as food goes. thanks again everyone for all your help.

as an aside, my girlfriend and i have 3 guinea pigs, so extra water bottles, bedding etc, is readily available. He's still young yet so maybe he'll readily take f/t food. I suppose the only way to know is try =)