Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,764

2 members and 2,762 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Kenyan Sand Boa Shedding/retained eyecaps

I got a young KSB in April, and for the most part, they've done well, except that there is stuck shed on their head. When they shed a few days ago, it all came off well, except most of the skin on their head, including their eyes. I have gave them a bath for about and hour and a half the next day, but they seemed to keep their head above the water for the most part, and I want gonna shove their head down. For the duration of the shed, the humidity has been about 60%, and a little higher towards the end. I keep a bowl in the enclosure large enough to soak in at all times, there are hides on either side (cork bark) and the bedding is Aspen. Basking temperature is set to 90, ambient stays around 75. These temps are checked with a temp gun and the basking temperature is regulated with a thermostat. I am mainly worried because of the eye caps and the fact that they haven't eaten since they started shedding (I offered food twice, it was constricted and abandoned both times), and since they are young (~8-9", I don't know the exact age) I know they need more food to grow and whatever. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to help them get the stuck shed off and maybe some input as to how long they should go without food. Thank you.

Thanks

Re: Kenyan Sand Boa Shedding/retained eyecaps

Quote Originally Posted by El. View Post
    I got a young KSB in April, and for the most part, they've done well, except that there is stuck shed on their head. When they shed a few days ago, it all came off well, except most of the skin on their head, including their eyes. I have gave them a bath for about and hour and a half the next day, but they seemed to keep their head above the water for the most part, and I want gonna shove their head down. For the duration of the shed, the humidity has been about 60%, and a little higher towards the end. I keep a bowl in the enclosure large enough to soak in at all times, there are hides on either side (cork bark) and the bedding is Aspen. Basking temperature is set to 90, ambient stays around 75. These temps are checked with a temp gun and the basking temperature is regulated with a thermostat. I am mainly worried because of the eye caps and the fact that they haven't eaten since they started shedding (I offered food twice, it was constricted and abandoned both times), and since they are young (~8-9", I don't know the exact age) I know they need more food to grow and whatever. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to help them get the stuck shed off and maybe some input as to how long they should go without food. Thank you.
    Hey there, I had a similar situation with my KSB last week. He shed beautifully, except for the head. First of all, an hour and a half in the bath is way too long. I misted the tank a little bit, and within 2 days I found the whole headshed in one clean piece, eyecaps and all. IMO, I think 60% humidity for KSBs for extended periods of time is just too high, but you can spray them a bit when in shed. I'd give it a shpritz and a few days to see if the rest of the shed comes off before worrying too much. KSBs are perfectly fine going weeks without eating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

El. (06-01-2018)

Thanks
    Cool, thanks. I saw some folks on other reptile sites saying it took an 1-2 hours for the dry skin to soften enough, but if you've had success without having to soak them at all, I'll definitely avoid it, I'm sure desert snakes such as my own would prefer not to be soaked if it can be avoided. I'll keep an eye on the little fella and mist them here and there. Thanks again

5. The Following User Says Thank You to El. For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (06-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: Kenyan Sand Boa Shedding/retained eyecaps

A humid hide - damp sphagnum moss in the hide, definitely helps. The only problem I have is my guy keeps dragging the moss out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-02-2018)