Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

1 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: From one newbie to another....

I knew I was gonna get heat for this one!! One, I wasn't bashing glass. I was frustrated last night, at myself, and I was wishing I didn't try to outsmart experienced owners. I thought maybe other newbies that were on the same thought path of me when I got my girl, which was "tubs CANT be suitable enclosures" would benefit from knowing that tubs are just fine!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (06-01-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    I knew I was gonna get heat for this one!! One, I wasn't bashing glass. I was frustrated last night, at myself, and I was wishing I didn't try to outsmart experienced owners. I thought maybe other newbies that were on the same thought path of me when I got my girl, which was "tubs CANT be suitable enclosures" would benefit from knowing that tubs are just fine!
    Tubs ARE fine, as long as it works for the keeper and the animal. Glass also works. It has FOR YEARS, for THOUSANDS of people and snakes.

But to say in big, bold letters "do NOT get a glass tank" when you've only got about 10 weeks of experience and zero basis for comparison is a bit irresponsible.

I've kept many pets since being a child and snakes (in glass) are by far the easiest pets I've ever kept. Fish, ferrets, cats, dogs, hamsters, rats, misc. lizards, turtles, etc...are all more work than a snake kept in glass.

So, just because you're frustrated doesn't mean other newbies shouldn't get glass. I spend less than 15 minutes/day on tank maintenance with my 4 current enclosures. If you can't swing 5 minutes a day per animal to make sure your husbandry is on point and your equipment is functioning properly then maybe you just don't have the time or willingness to care for an animal.
    I've never kept tubs, but I can't imagine that one would shave much time off my daily enclosure upkeep.

Anyway, there's NOTHING wrong with glass, PVC, wood or tubs as long as it works for the keeper and the animal is healthy and proper husbandry is provided.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Apiratenamedjohn (06-01-2018),Avsha531 (06-01-2018),Reinz (06-02-2018),Sonny1318 (06-01-2018),Wharf Rat (06-01-2018),Zincubus (06-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Tubs ARE fine, as long as it works for the keeper and the animal. Glass also works. It has FOR YEARS, for THOUSANDS of people and snakes.

But to say in big, bold letters "do NOT get a glass tank" when you've only got about 10 weeks of experience and zero basis for comparison is a bit irresponsible.

I've kept many pets since being a child and snakes (in glass) are by far the easiest pets I've ever kept. Fish, ferrets, cats, dogs, hamsters, rats, misc. lizards, turtles, etc...are all more work than a snake kept in glass.

So, just because you're frustrated doesn't mean other newbies shouldn't get glass. I spend less than 15 minutes/day on tank maintenance with my 4 current enclosures. If you can't swing 5 minutes a day per animal to make sure your husbandry is on point and your equipment is functioning properly then maybe you just don't have the time or willingness to care for an animal.
    I've never kept tubs, but I can't imagine that one would shave much time off my daily enclosure upkeep.

Anyway, there's NOTHING wrong with glass, PVC, wood or tubs as long as it works for the keeper and the animal is healthy and proper husbandry is provided.

I will apologize for saying "do not use glass tanks". It was irresponsible. The frustration was not from "not having time or willingness" it was from lugging a glass tank around to sanitize it for the 3rd time. My snake has the same priority level as every animal I have. In fact it's above some. Before I go to work and when I get home from work, I let the dogs out and then immediately check every part of my snakes enclosure. If it's right after a feeding I don't disturb her, I check all electronics and temp and humidity readings. If it's been a couple days after feedings I take her out and spot clean. Not to mention fresh water every day and I'm OCD so temp readings with the temp gun more often than I'd like to admit. Hope that meets your standards.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-02-2018),Reinz (06-02-2018),Zincubus (06-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieHeart View Post
    Glass terrariums may be a litter harder to keep temps and humidity up, but definitely not a nightmare to stabilize.
    I think that depends a lot on where you live. They can be a nightmare in dry climates. I live in a desert and it took me forever to get my glass enclosures where I like them. I had to try a lot of different things to keep humidity in before I found something that worked well, didn't require a lot of upkeep, and didn't look awful. Sure, there are a lot of different options out there if you research it, but finding the right one can be a hassle. If someone wants an easier setup, why knock it? Correct husbandry is more important than aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by B.P.'s 4me View Post
    The rack requires less personal attention,and certainly less space, but it also completely removes any visual pleasure to be obtained from observing your snake.
    And I wouldn't say that a rack removes all pleasure of seeing your snake. I use semi-clear tubs. While I can't get good pictures through them I still see my snakes quite often. I watch them slither all over the place when they're out and about, and you can't see them anyway when they're in a hide, not even if they are in a glass tank.

For the record, I use tanks, glass terrariums, and plastic bins in a rack. I keep most of my snakes in racks, but I like to have a few on display. I've kept ball pythons in display tanks before, but lately I've been leaning toward keeping them in racks and displaying colubrids. They're just better suited for it.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-02-2018),Reinz (06-02-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    I will apologize for saying "do not use glass tanks". It was irresponsible. The frustration was not from "not having time or willingness" it was from lugging a glass tank around to sanitize it for the 3rd time. My snake has the same priority level as every animal I have. In fact it's above some. Before I go to work and when I get home from work, I let the dogs out and then immediately check every part of my snakes enclosure. If it's right after a feeding I don't disturb her, I check all electronics and temp and humidity readings. If it's been a couple days after feedings I take her out and spot clean. Not to mention fresh water every day and I'm OCD so temp readings with the temp gun more often than I'd like to admit. Hope that meets your standards.

It's not about my standards, it's about the animal's well being.

I apologize if by wording my sentences with "you" it seemed like I was aiming them at YOU specifically. I was trying to throw a general net out there, but after re-reading it seems more personal than general.

I also appreciate you retracting your statement. I didn't mean to come down hard, but 10 weeks with 1 animal is a tiny sample size. If somebody likes the look of glass, they should go for it IF they have done ample research and can provide the time and effort to maintain proper husbandry.

Anyway, as long as the animals are well taken care of, I personally don't care which enclosure type others choose. It's simply what works best for them and the animal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    I think that depends a lot on where you live. They can be a nightmare in dry climates. I live in a desert and it took me forever to get my glass enclosures where I like them. I had to try a lot of different things to keep humidity in before I found something that worked well, didn't require a lot of upkeep, and didn't look awful. Sure, there are a lot of different options out there if you research it, but finding the right one can be a hassle. If someone wants an easier setup, why knock it? Correct husbandry is more important than aesthetics.

And I wouldn't say that a rack removes all pleasure of seeing your snake. I use semi-clear tubs. While I can't get good pictures through them I still see my snakes quite often. I watch them slither all over the place when they're out and about, and you can't see them anyway when they're in a hide, not even if they are in a glass tank.

For the record, I use tanks, glass terrariums, and plastic bins in a rack. I keep most of my snakes in racks, but I like to have a few on display. I've kept ball pythons in display tanks before, but lately I've been leaning toward keeping them in racks and displaying colubrids. They're just better suited for it.

Solid reply top to bottom.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I am glad folks are successful with glass and voicing their opinions. Before I switched to PVC a few years ago I felt like a voice in the wilderness defending glass. Very few if any seemed to want to defend glass against the PVCers and Tubbers.

Even though the average humidity here is in the 70s, I’m not sure how important that is when living in a climate controlled house (central ac/heat).

Picking up tips here helped as well as experimenting with my own ideas. Don’t ever be afraid to experiment as long as it does not risk the health and well being of your animal.

I have to sadly admit, years ago my husbandry was about on par with the typical person on Craig’s List, and that is pitiful. The people on this site/forum have been a true blessing in educating me and countless others. Thank you!

Glassers, stand your ground!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-02-2018)

Thanks

I started out with a glass tank and wouldn't have it any other way. Humidity want an issue when I lived in Florida, but when I moved to California last year, I got familiar with sphagnum moss and it works like a charm. Mainly when she's in shed. Just have to try new things bud. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SaltLife422 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-14-2018)

Thanks
    It all comes down to the climate you live in and what you need to do to manipulate your enclosure to ensure you have the proper temps and humidity, the enclosure(no matter what it's made out of) is just a container used to hold your animal. I can put my animals in a trash can and I will figure out some way to keep them correctly. it seems like somewhere along the way people started putting all their faith in the enclosure to keep everything correct and forgot or never learned how to use the numerous tools available us to get our animals environment correct.

Glass vs "other" has flipped flopped so many times(a lot more since the birth of the internet) I have lost count. Figure out how to manipulate your enclosure to work for you and pick the one that works with your time, situation and your viewing preference as long as the animal comes first.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aztec4mia For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-14-2018),Zincubus (06-14-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec4mia View Post
    It all comes down to the climate you live in and what you need to do to manipulate your enclosure to ensure you have the proper temps and humidity, the enclosure(no matter what it's made out of) is just a container used to hold your animal. I can put my animals in a trash can and I will figure out some way to keep them correctly. it seems like somewhere along the way people started putting all their faith in the enclosure to keep everything correct and forgot or never learned how to use the numerous tools available us to get our animals environment correct.

Glass vs "other" has flipped flopped so many times(a lot more since the birth of the internet) I have lost count. Figure out how to manipulate your enclosure to work for you and pick the one that works with your time, situation and your viewing preference as long as the animal comes first.
    I LOVE this reply!! Thanks for sharing!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (06-14-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I love tank set ups, once you figure out how to manage them they are great, I also use a rack system as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda