Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

1 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

From one newbie to another....

Just wanted to offer some advice for those just getting into ball pythons. Do NOT get a glass tank! I did research and for some reason ignored all the tub vs tank facts thinking I was doing my snake a favor by giving it a more "realistic" or bigger enclosure. It is just the opposite. Humidity and temps are just a nightmare to stabilize. Not to mention trying to clean a huge glass tank by yourself. I'm getting a tub tomorrow. And there is a reptile show in north Houston in two weeks and will be looking for a rack system because I am DEFINATELY getting another snake!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (05-31-2018),C.Marie (05-31-2018),dakski (06-14-2018),L.West (06-14-2018),Ronniex2 (05-31-2018),tttaylorrr (05-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

From one newbie to another....

Quote Originally Posted by bhsurf4 View Post
    Just wanted to offer some advice for those just getting into ball pythons. Do NOT get a glass tank! I did research and for some reason ignored all the tub vs tank facts thinking I was doing my snake a favor by giving it a more "realistic" or bigger enclosure. It is just the opposite. Humidity and temps are just a nightmare to stabilize. Not to mention trying to clean a huge glass tank by yourself. I'm getting a tub tomorrow. And there is a reptile show in north Houston in two weeks and will be looking for a rack system because I am DEFINATELY getting another snake!
    Why not just research how to manage humidity in tanks before giving up and spending more money on another complete setup ?

I have a 50/50 split between glass vivs and wooden vivs ..

For tanks I put a piece of Perspex over the top and seal it around the edges . Also I use orchid bark which not only looks good , makes your snake look great AND holds humidity spectacularly well . Occasional spraying and you're good to go . I'm sure there are many other tips as well .

Just a thought given he snakes look so amazing in a tank where you can observe their every move and THEY can also see out ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 05-31-2018 at 05:56 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-31-2018),Ronniex2 (05-31-2018),Sonny1318 (05-31-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: From one newbie to another....

I've been keeping my snakes in glass for years. No issues. It just takes a little extra effort.
    I've successfully kept multiple species through the years, and never had any issues. Could it be easier? Sure. Is it difficult?? Heck no. It just takes a few extra minutes a day.

So, before you go bashing glass, maybe have some experience to back it up, or a basis for comparison.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2018),MissterDog (05-31-2018),Sonny1318 (05-31-2018),Spechal (05-31-2018)

Thanks

+1

100% agree with Craig. I love my glass terrarium

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alilak For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-31-2018)

Thanks
    I would have to say too, I'm keeping my ball python in a glass terrarium with no humidity problems or heat issues...This was even for my very FiRsT ball python. I love glass tanks! Tubs are fine too if that's what you prefer.

Glass terrariums may be a litter harder to keep temps and humidity up, but definitely not a nightmare to stabilize.

Enjoy your time at the reptile show, they are so much fun!!
    ~Annie
    ~

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AnnieHeart For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-31-2018),Sonny1318 (05-31-2018)

Thanks

It doesn't have to be an "either', "or" situation, I have both. I have a large glass acquarium as my "display" tank and use if for my favorite snake who is quite tame and social. I also have a rack for my smaller/younger snakes. Both have their advantages and disadvantages but, as others have mentioned, humidity and heat CAN be maintained and regulated by covering the lid of the tank and regular mistings. Another disadvantage of tanks is that they take up a lot of space, not a big issue if you have a few but five or six mature ball pythons are going to require some large tanks and places to put them.

The rack requires less personal attention,and certainly less space, but it also completely removes any visual pleasure to be obtained from observing your snake. If you have a lot of time and just one or two animals this won't make a huge difference because it's easier to set aside time in your schedule to handle and interact with your snake. Having a rack full though, reduces the time and attention you can spend with each one.

We are fortunate that b.p. husbandry has advanced to the point where we now have housing options. The best housing options are those that result in healthy snakes.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-31-2018),Sonny1318 (05-31-2018)

Thanks
    Ive had both glass and wood vivs my whole life. Both work just fine. Sure glass is a little tougher to manage but the views of the vivs cant be beat. I run bioactive in mine and have no problems.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apiratenamedjohn For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-31-2018),Craiga 01453 (05-31-2018),Mislytherin (05-31-2018),Sonny1318 (05-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    I'm firmly in the "glass" camp. The humidity has nothing to do with what the enclosure is made of, but is the result of the amount of air-flow you allow.
    More humidity, modify the opening. Need more heat in a tank? Insulate most of the sides & bottom...easy to do & many cheap ways to do it.

Glass allows me to see my pets & what's going on. I can add privacy to a glass tank, but adding windows to a tub? Not so good... Not a fan of plastic at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm firmly in the "glass" camp. The humidity has nothing to do with what the enclosure is made of, but is the result of the amount of air-flow you allow.
    More humidity, modify the opening. Need more heat in a tank? Insulate most of the sides & bottom...easy to do & many cheap ways to do it.

Glass allows me to see my pets & what's going on. I can add privacy to a glass tank, but adding windows to a tub? Not so good... Not a fan of plastic at all.
    True. But pvc cages are already insulated, and the nicer ones come with sliding glass display doors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    True. But pvc cages are already insulated, and the nicer ones come with sliding glass display doors.
    I see PVC as a good in-between. Personally this Saturday i'm ordering myself an AP T-8 to replace the tub he currently sits in. I personally use a tub because at the time I was a little cheap, but also knew that the snake I was receiving was being kept in it beforehand. I have to admit, though, having glass is definitely going to improve my own experience. I can see into the tub, but its a little blurry.

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast