Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

1 members and 3,168 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Poecilotheria Metallica

Quote Originally Posted by RamMac View Post
    All T's are indeed venomous, however to say that it's nothing worse than a bee sting is an understatement. First off there are New World T's which are found in the Americas and have milder venom but posses urticating hairs. Old world T's from Asia and Africa have more potent venom and from the stories I've heard, some species can be extremely painful with effects lasting months. The P. Metallica is an old world and nothing to take lightly. Old world are also more aggressive and fast. I currently keep three different species of Tarantulas (all New world) and my advice would be to start with a New World T. Do your research before buying. Beware that males are short lived once they reach maturity.
    oh, thank you so much for the info!!! i have no practical knowledge, just what i've researched from contemplating getting a T.

i don't like the idea of "starter pets," as you state they should start with something besides what they want. if they have the knowledge to be a good owner, then i say go for it. please let me know if this mindset doesn't apply to Ts. i just want to learn.

would you mind vetting my resources i provided? if not that's cool. i've done a bit of research on Ts but nothing too serious so i don't want to provide false info.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 05-30-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Aerries (05-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    oh, thank you so much for the info!!! i have no practical knowledge, just what i've researched from contemplating getting a T.

i don't like the idea of "starter pets," as you state they should start with something besides what they want. if they have the knowledge to be a good owner, then i say go for it. please let me know if this mindset doesn't apply to Ts. i just want to learn.

would you mind vetting my resources i provided? if not that's cool. i've done a bit of research on Ts bit nothing too serious so i don't want to provide false info.
    Getting an easier to keep T is only a suggestion, as a beginner you can get whichever T you like. Keep in mind that just like snakes, more than just what you like should be taken into consideration. For a beginner, especially one wanting to overcome a fear of arachnids it is ideal to start with a less defensive T, preferably a slow moving one. The GBB i suggested is a fast one but nothing on the scale of a Poecilotheria, and certainly not that potent of a venom. I can suggest watching The Dark Den youtube channel, it is an awesome source of info and very entertaining.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

Aerries (05-31-2018),tttaylorrr (05-30-2018)

Thanks

Getting an easier to keep T is only a suggestion, as a beginner you can get whichever T you like. Keep in mind that just like snakes, more than just what you like should be taken into consideration. For a beginner, especially one wanting to overcome a fear of arachnids it is ideal to start with a less defensive T, preferably a slow moving one. The GBB i suggested is a fast one but nothing on the scale of a Poecilotheria, and certainly not that potent of a venom. I can suggest watching The Dark Den youtube channel, it is an awesome source of info and very entertaining.
    thank you so much for the reply. what you say makes total sense, especially when someone states their innate fear and you recommending a more docile species. i've read many posts stating the swiftness and defensiveness of this species, and general careful handling techniques.

however, i still think @aerries should go for it if they want, just do PLENTY of research and know what to expect. he's a good keeper so i know they won't just jump in to this without due diligence.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Aerries (05-31-2018)

Thanks

thank you so much for the reply. what you say makes total sense, especially when someone states their innate fear and you recommending a more docile species. i've read many posts stating the swiftness and defensiveness of this species, and general careful handling techniques.

however, i still think @aerries should go for it if they want, just do PLENTY of research and know what to expect. he's a good keeper so i know they won't just jump in to this without due diligence.

Absolutely. I know of many people who jumped straight into Old World species. Research is important.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

Aerries (05-31-2018),tttaylorrr (05-30-2018)

Thanks

Absolutely. I know of many people who jumped straight into Old World species. Research is important.
    do you have any resources you could share for poecilotheria? i love Ts and love absorbing any info i can.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

do you have any resources you could share for poecilotheria? i love Ts and love absorbing any info i can.
    Nothing in depth, sorry. I currently only keep New World species so poecilotheria is not a genus I'm familiar with. My best sources so far have been FB groups.

Thanks
    I kept one of these about 10 years ago, had it for about 3 years as it turned out to be male and lived it's lifespan. They are fast, expensive, hard to aquire, and their bite can send a grown man to the ER.

Care is indeed similar to a crestie, room temp and humid, with frequent misting as they drink water droplets off the glass. A few crickets or roaches a week is enough for feeding. They are arboreal too, so a cresties style setup is what you need.

As far as speed goes... however fast you think you can move... it can move faster, NEVER put your hand in the cage, if you must move the spider, use a stick to herd it into a large jar with a wide mouth. And I'm not joking about their bite... it's a bad trip nobody wants to go on, extreme pain, abnormal heartbeats, sweating, nausea, vomiting, muscle spasms, and difficulty breathing for at least 8 hours.
    Last edited by Alter-Echo; 05-31-2018 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks

Holy crap this is a lot to take in lol Taylor you buying or me lol sorry was sleeping hahahah. I’m just messin, yea I knew about OW and NW but didn’t really know anything about the lifespan and how short it was for males....I suppose the brighter the flame shorter the wick deal...that sucks. And I always want the prettiest looking ones...lol this sucks that they are so venomous. (Totally keeping this info away from the hubby) lol jk he sees everything I type. BUT the venom tbh isn’t what scares me or the money to spend, it’s the movements.... it’s something about molting, general moving, and how/what they are. Idk it’s hard to explain....oh the hairs on the NW ones are what I hate! Lol BUT I will never turn down anything that anyone suggest that has vast more knowledge than myself. I too came here to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    So after further contemplation and research ive decided to actually move forward with my decision in getting this boy. regardless of money and lifespan...i know my husband is going to freak when i tell him but he will always trust my decision when it comes to animals and my dedication to them. now.....i need a breeder...

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not into those but I must say there are some amazing T's out there, not that I would own one but I would love to photograph some of them.

Can't wait to see some nice pictures of your future critter.
    Deborah Stewart

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Aerries (06-02-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12