Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

0 members and 2,930 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Poecilotheria Metallica

Sooo I don’t know if anyone still goes through this side of the forum but I’m wanting to know more about the details in the care and housing requirements for this gorgeous T. Yes I know they’re arboreal. But what else can you tell me? Thanks...and yes I’m terrified but still willing to overcome that fear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    ummmm WOW

BEAUTIFUL, mother nature! these guys have piqued my interest and i'm heading down a Google rabbit hole LOL. i actually looked into getting a tarantula before i decided to get my first ball python! if i find any reliable info i'll pass it along.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 05-30-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Aerries (05-30-2018)

Thanks
    so i found a few things:

they are venomous! and they are fast and often defensive! a bite is worse than a Hognose, but there has never been a human death caused by being bit; other animals i would not allow near this T. a bite is considered "medically significant." their care requirements are just like any other poecilotheria species i guess, so you can use other poecilotheria species info and tips and they will pretty much apply to p. metallica. and yes, they're arboreal! so that's important regarding their set-up and security. their temps are cooler than beeps, more like a crestie. humidity is important tho.

links!:

arachnoboards.com has a lot of people keeping these and posting regularly. some people over there own up to 10 p. metallica!

Gooty Sapphire care sheet from KeepingExoticPets.com

this not-so-great-looking website has a good in-depth description of what their enclosure/husbandry should be (i think lol)

GootyLand facebook page? which was updated this month.

these guys are just too cool!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Re: Poecilotheria Metallica

Your awesome !!!!! Thanks I took a nap while you did all that. But I did read that all Ts are venomous but nothing worse then a bee/wasp. I’m not allergic so idc. I WONT be touching this boy( cause it’s gotta be a boy because of the colors, they’re brighter) lol me having a crestie and a Pac-Man means I have the perfect temps and humidity won’t be a problem

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (05-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Your awesome !!!!! Thanks I took a nap while you did all that. But I did read that all Ts are venomous but nothing worse then a bee/wasp. I’m not allergic so idc. I WONT be touching this boy( cause it’s gotta be a boy because of the colors, they’re brighter) lol me having a crestie and a Pac-Man means I have the perfect temps and humidity won’t be a problem

i really hope you seriously consider pursuing this! LET ME LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU!!!
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i really hope you seriously consider pursuing this! LET ME LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU!!!
    I’m on the fence....and my hubby is standoffish about the idea...that and I have zero idea about a breeder. Boas and beeps I can deal with but all that come up that I can find are LLL and Backwater.

Thanks

I’m on the fence....and my hubby is standoffish about the idea...that and I have zero idea about a breeder. Boas and beeps I can deal with but all that come up that I can find are LLL and Backwater.

funny enough, most reputable breeder sites that came up on google were actually German LOL. i'll see what i can come up with; i'll do more google-fu tomorrow.

for your hubby: is it the fact that it's a spider? mildly venomous? just curious. the reason i decided against getting a T is their speed and general lack of handling. however, having so many animals now, the whole "multi-weekly regular handling" thing isn't that big of an issue anymore lol.

EDIT: these are amazing, BEAUTIFUL gifts from mother nature that are critically endangered. any responsible owner willing to keep one is a win for the species in my book. yes, this is an attempt to persuade you.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 05-30-2018 at 10:13 PM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Aerries (05-31-2018)

Thanks

All T's are indeed venomous, however to say that it's nothing worse than a bee sting is an understatement. First off there are New World T's which are found in the Americas and have milder venom but posses urticating hairs. Old world T's from Asia and Africa have more potent venom and from the stories I've heard, some species can be extremely painful with effects lasting months. The P. Metallica is an old world and nothing to take lightly. Old world are also more aggressive and fast. I currently keep three different species of Tarantulas (all New world) and my advice would be to start with a New World T. Do your research before buying. Beware that males are short lived once they reach maturity.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

Aerries (05-31-2018),tttaylorrr (05-30-2018)

Thanks
    Also if you seriously consider purchasing a T I can recommend some good breeders (Stay away from LLL, backwater etc... also there are good breeders in the state although the T hobby is bigger in Europe). Don't let the beautiful colors of the P. Metallica influence an impulse buy. Look into the chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (also known as the green bottle blue GBB). They are very colorful and make magnificent webs. I currently have a tiny GBB sling.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

Aerries (05-31-2018),tttaylorrr (05-30-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast