Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,836

2 members and 2,834 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indoor garden

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Re: Indoor garden

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Nice plants! Have you considered trying linear / tube type LED fixtures so that you get more light coverage? I've seen some really good setups where they hang the LED fixtures on the underside of each wire shelf so that they light the plants below evenly.

If you end up enjoying the plants a lot, you might consider getting into planted terrariums. This is a good forum to go to to look at some nice setups. They specialize in dart frogs, but I have some planted terrariums with geckos also and have heard of people using these setups for amazon tree boas, etc. The downside to planted terrariums is that they aren't cheap to start and it can be hard to find plants that are easy to maintain. If you can get the terrariums used, that helps, and it is not impossible to start one without spending a lot of $$, but the lighting tends to be expensive.
    Thank you very much. I went at checked out the site you recommended. I originally had planned on incorporating plants into my snake set up. That’s why I went with those light fixtures and that style bulb. But ended up going in this direction instead. The shelf is located close to a lot of indirect light, so I also got that going. And I would love to have a massive terrarium. Maybe someday, right now I just very grateful for what I have. Again Thanks.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    I started using it to prevent eroded craters from watering, the appearance is a nice bonus. And the books say that top-dressing also helps keep moisture in. I use aquarium gravel, and the pots with larger drainage holes get bigger chunks in the bottom to keep the soil from falling out. I finally used up most of the stuff from a retired 10-gallon tank, and had to buy a couple new bags (I don’t try to save every little bit when re-potting). The small bucket of extra gravel makes a good doorstop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I was looking at “gravel” at Home Depot, some Mexican gray pebbles?? I think they would look nice. And yes I’ve read they can be helpful in that regard. You sure do have some beautiful plants, most of those are succulents correct?? Beautiful collection either way. I have a very large balcony and have a bunch of different kinds of marigolds out there. I used to plant honeysuckles. But between the squirrels eating them and watching praying mantis’s attack the hummingbirds they attracted. I went with the marigolds.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 05-30-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Indoor garden

The plants look really nice and horticulture is definitely good for you most of the time, Ive been doing it 29yrs including 4years at horticultural college.
    I’m lucky enough to do the job full time at a big garden centre in the U.K where I’m in charge of buying houseplants, I guess a lot of these are probably common garden plants in a lot of places in the USA, I used to have to go to Holland every 3weeks on plant buying trips and Italy in the spring for 3days to buy specimens , not many people get to do a job they enjoy and travel to fantastic places
    There’s been lots of research about houseplants purifying the air in our homes which is never a bad thing
    Here’s a link
    https://greatist.com/connect/housepl...-clean-air/amp

Just remember the dumb cane or diffenbachia can be very irritant , so just wash your hands if you have taken any leaves off
    Gravels on top always look really nice and as already said is a great way to keep moisture in , also sitting them on gravel/fine grit in a saucer can also raise the humidity up if needed for plants from humid areas of the world
    Cheers rich

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 05-30-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    The plants look really nice and horticulture is definitely good for you most of the time, Ive been doing it 29yrs including 4years at horticultural college.
    I’m lucky enough to do the job full time at a big garden centre in the U.K where I’m in charge of buying houseplants, I guess a lot of these are probably common garden plants in a lot of places in the USA, I used to have to go to Holland every 3weeks on plant buying trips and Italy in the spring for 3days to buy specimens , not many people get to do a job they enjoy and travel to fantastic places
    There’s been lots of research about houseplants purifying the air in our homes which is never a bad thing
    Here’s a link
    https://greatist.com/connect/housepl...-clean-air/amp

Just remember the dumb cane or diffenbachia can be very irritant , so just wash your hands if you have taken any leaves off
    Gravels on top always look really nice and as already said is a great way to keep moisture in , also sitting them on gravel/fine grit in a saucer can also raise the humidity up if needed for plants from humid areas of the world
    Cheers rich

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Thank you very much Richard, and it sounds like you have a really cool job. I’ve always loved growing plants and such. And I was aware of the air purification benefits and just recently was reading about that very subject, thank you for the link I look forward to checking it out. As far as the dumb cane (diffenbachia) I was aware they don’t make great salads, lol. And I should take some precautions when caring for. Thank you very much for all your advise, now I know who to ask when I need help with my plants. Your job sounds truly awesome.
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I was looking at “gravel” at Home Depot, some Mexican gray pebbles?? I think they would look nice. And yes I’ve read they can be helpful in that regard.
    Whatever kind of gravel/pebbles you like should be fine. Some of my plants have tumbled glass that I had in an old aquarium. Most of my plants aren’t very big, so I have pretty small stuff - one bag was 1/8-1/4”-ish, the other was 1/4-1/2”-ish.

You sure do have some beautiful plants, most of those are succulents correct?? Beautiful collection either way.
    Thank you! Yep, all of my garden is made up of cactus/succulents. Most of them came from Home Depot or the local pharmacy/convenience stores. Typically the first thing I do is get them into bigger pots, so the poor things have some room to grow. The little cactus in the middle row on the shelving unit is in that relatively big pot because it had such a big root ball. I just re-potted it a couple weeks ago and it’s already got new growth.

I’ve killed a few of my plants, most have held up pretty well. I may even try lithops again, I recently learned that I was watering them too much/at the wrong times, as they like it really really dry!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithops

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-31-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Whatever kind of gravel/pebbles you like should be fine. Some of my plants have tumbled glass that I had in an old aquarium. Most of my plants aren’t very big, so I have pretty small stuff - one bag was 1/8-1/4”-ish, the other was 1/4-1/2”-ish.

Thank you! Yep, all of my garden is made up of cactus/succulents. Most of them came from Home Depot or the local pharmacy/convenience stores. Typically the first thing I do is get them into bigger pots, so the poor things have some room to grow. The little cactus in the middle row on the shelving unit is in that relatively big pot because it had such a big root ball. I just re-potted it a couple weeks ago and it’s already got new growth.

I’ve killed a few of my plants, most have held up pretty well. I may even try lithops again, I recently learned that I was watering them too much/at the wrong times, as they like it really really dry!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithops

That’s to funny most my plants came from Home Depot too. With some coming from the grocery store (that had to be replanted immediately because they were glued). I used to do a ton of stuff with jade plants and have been tempted by juniper bonsai more then once. It’s cool to watch them grow, it also kinda stinks when you kill them. But I think that happens in gardening more so from over watering (guilty). The Lithops are very cool and unique. I’ll post a picture of a water meter I just grabbed not to long ago, can’t be sure yet it’s helping yet though it seems to be. I even picked up a cool watering can to hopefully help not over watering. Give me a bit And I’ll post pics. Thanks again for sharing.
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

Here are the pics I said I would post. The light bulb, the meter and the watering can. You can see the nozzle of the watering can has very tiny holes and makes it more easy not to over water and yet still get good water distribution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

Thank you for posting the pictures, I especially like the meter. If/when I expand the succulent’s shelving I’ll look for the LEDs, I’ve already got a couple spare domes, so they’d be much less expensive than another aquarium light bar!

IIRC I’m using between a quart and a half-gallon of water a week to water all my succulents.

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i love plants!!! i would love to have a planted terrarium for my gecko! the start-up just seems so daunting.
    I’m in the middle of setting up my first bio-active vivarium (started a thread in the caging sub-forum), it really isn’t too bad. I’m not doing a textured background, though, as sand boas don’t climb a lot, and a desert-ish setup isn’t going to need it for moss and climbing plants. Even so, NE Herp’s backgrounds using cork panels (for “larger” species - like cresties) look pretty easy and less messy than sculpting with Great Stuff, and what I plan on using in the future for my leachie.

Thanks

Indoor garden

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    Here are the pics I said I would post.
    I picked a couple of those bulbs and determined that they fit in a ZooMed double dome I had at home. My assistant Albert helped me hang the new light up at work, for the leftovers from the bio-active setup for my sand boa.

Last edited by Prognathodon; 06-04-2018 at 03:19 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-04-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast