Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,089

1 members and 3,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Getting some sun!

Just recently started taking Bella outside to let her explore in the grass. Do snakes “like” this? I know this thread is mostly just for posting photos, but I’m curious if they like time actually being outside. I know it’s stressful being in the open for them because of potential predators, and stress signs may be difficult to pick up on unless they are quite obvious (defensive striking/trying to slither away/hide), but she just kind of cruises along and scopes out the scenery. I only take her out for maybe 15-20 minutes. She seems content!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to targciv For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2018),C.Marie (05-29-2018),hilabeans (05-29-2018),richardhind1972 (05-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Nice photos! Many snakes do feel exposed & defensive on the ground, but she looks like she's enjoying it.

Just have to make sure there's no lawn chemicals (pesticides or herbicides) used, & around here, I never put mine on the ground as there's just too many
    parasites & ticks, but hey, that's me? The main thing is ensuring they don't overheat (snakes can die from "heat strokes") but I also think snakes benefit
    from some sunshine. It seems to perk up their appetites. Who knows, maybe it's like us, our bodies make Vitamin D from the sun, which we need. More
    research needed, but since they'd get at least some sun in the wild, I think it's appropriate to assume that "some" sun is good for them in captivity as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

targciv (05-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Getting some sun!

Very nice BP. I love seeing pictures of snakes outside. I'm aware of some of the drawbacks like predatory birds, parasites, pesticides, mites and ticks but I still plan on taking mine out this summer. I figure a little fresh air and sunshine can't be a bad thing for any of Nature's creations. These animals have survived for millions of years and aren't as fragile as we might sometimes think. They shouldn't be trapped in wooden, glass, or plastic cages all their lives.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 05-29-2018 at 10:34 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2018),RickyNY (05-29-2018),targciv (05-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Very nice BP. I love seeing pictures of snakes outside. I'm aware of some of the drawbacks like predatory birds, parasites, pesticides, mites and ticks but I still plan on taking mine out this summer. I figure a little fresh air and sunshine can't be a bad thing for any of Nature's creations. These animals have survived for millions of years and aren't as fragile as we might sometimes think. They shouldn't be trapped in wooden, glass, or plastic cages all their lives.
    The minute I walk outside holding a snake they really perk up...all the scents! Like Disneyland for their senses. I agree, they deserve a break from their
    routine cage lives.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

targciv (05-30-2018),Team Slytherin (06-03-2018)

Thanks
    Yeah I get a little nervous because of all the little bugs on the ground, but I keep an eye on her and check to make sure nothing travels back home with us on her. It seems wrong to keep a snake inside it’s entire life, even if they don’t want or need that like some other animals do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to targciv For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (05-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by targciv View Post
    Just recently started taking Bella outside to let her explore in the grass. Do snakes “like” this? I know this thread is mostly just for posting photos, but I’m curious if they like time actually being outside. I know it’s stressful being in the open for them because of potential predators, and stress signs may be difficult to pick up on unless they are quite obvious (defensive striking/trying to slither away/hide), but she just kind of cruises along and scopes out the scenery. I only take her out for maybe 15-20 minutes. She seems content!
    they do fine outside for a lil bit here and there. it sounds like you're on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by targciv View Post
    i love this pix. so cute!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

targciv (05-30-2018)