Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

1 members and 3,254 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP not eating

Thanks

BP not eating

Hi, my BP has been off feed since December and it’s starting to be pretty concerning. She was eating frozen thawed rats well and then she went of feed for a few months so I switched her to live. She was eating live for a good while and then in December she went on another food strike. She’s no longer interested in live food so I’ve tried switching her back to F/T but she’s having nothing to do with that. I’ve tried different size rats, different colors, I feed at night and I don’t handle her or take her out of her cage. I’m going to try a F/T mouse tonight, and I got some gerbil litter but I’m not sure I want to try that yet. The last time I weighed her was in December and she was 715 grams. I weighed her today and she was 655. She’s lost almost 10% of her weight.
    Husbandry: Humidity stays on average between 45-60%. Cool end is between 76-80 and warm end is between 85-90. She’s in a standard 20 gallon tank but she’s rather long for her tank, so I’m building a small snake rack so she will soon be moved into a 33.5x17.5x7” tub.
    Any suggestions to get her feeding again?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: BP not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Renigaed View Post
    Hi, my BP has been off feed since December and it’s starting to be pretty concerning. She was eating frozen thawed rats well and then she went of feed for a few months so I switched her to live. She was eating live for a good while and then in December she went on another food strike. She’s no longer interested in live food so I’ve tried switching her back to F/T but she’s having nothing to do with that. I’ve tried different size rats, different colors, I feed at night and I don’t handle her or take her out of her cage. I’m going to try a F/T mouse tonight, and I got some gerbil litter but I’m not sure I want to try that yet. The last time I weighed her was in December and she was 715 grams. I weighed her today and she was 655. She’s lost almost 10% of her weight.
    Husbandry: Humidity stays on average between 45-60%. Cool end is between 76-80 and warm end is between 85-90. She’s in a standard 20 gallon tank but she’s rather long for her tank, so I’m building a small snake rack so she will soon be moved into a 33.5x17.5x7” tub.
    Any suggestions to get her feeding again?
    you can try ASF, its like candy to a python, just to try and jump start the feeding response, or could also try force feeding to kick start the feeding response.
    0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Het Desert Ghost

0.1 Super Pastel VPI Axanthic Enchi (Jasmin)

0.1 Black Pastel Mojave
    0.1 Calico Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Het Red Axanthic Het Desert Ghost
    1.0 Orange Dream Enchi Fire
    0.1 leatherback hypo Bearded Dragon
    1.0 Purple Motley Suntiger Citron Reticulated
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.2 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    0.0.1 White Tree Frog
    1.0 Green Anaconda
    0.1 Indonesian Frilled Dragon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwood For This Useful Post:

bu998 (05-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    She could just not want to eat. This is normal. And 10% is not a lot of weight loss. That's only one meal loss in 6 mo. She will eat when she is ready. And her husbandry is correct so again normal.

- - - Updated - - -

And there is no reason to assist feed a normal healthy snake. So please don't do it.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

There could be any number of issues.

If she was eating fine and then suddenly decided against it: I would only offer her food once a week for about 5-10 minutes and then remove the prey item. I would also get any rodent scent out of her cage in between feedings if possible to create more of a lure at feeding times.

Note: 650-700 grams is about where most of my male bps start to slow down growth and start to become erratic eaters.
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwood View Post
    you can try ASF, its like candy to a python, just to try and jump start the feeding response, or could also try force feeding to kick start the feeding response.
    AFS is illegal in my state unfortunately, so that's not really an option. I'm not super comfortable with force feeding. I've watched a co worker do it at work (I work at a pet store), but even then he was using a pinkie plunger.

Thanks

I'm pretty solidly sure I've got a female. I'm planning on take her/him to the vet though to see if she can give me some advice, so I can find out for sure at that point.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I used to raise Russian dwarf hamsters (they're easy) and BPs (as well as some other snakes) tend to like them. Just don't feed live...even the
    babies with EYES CLOSED will growl & bite. Never having tasted or tried using an ASF, I cannot say how similar they are (or aren't?) but just an idea.

I originally raised RDH's for a few picky snakes I had, but was so successful that I ended up selling the surplus to local pet stores: and nothing makes
    them happier than hamsters that come with a temperament guarantee: I already culled the 'bitey' ones for snake-food, but if they got a hamster from
    me that became a biter for any reason, I cheerfully & freely exchanged it for one that was cute & friendly. It helps to have an "outlet"... And
    that way the stores never lost money on grouchy hamsters* that bit people & that they couldn't sell. A win-win!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Renigaed View Post
    ... I'm not super comfortable with force feeding. I've watched a co worker do it at work (I work at a pet store), but even then he was using a pinkie plunger.
    Force feeding any size prey is a no-go for me too. Same for pinky-plungers, they can stick & be dangerous to the snake when they forcefully 'let go', also have
    to be concerned about bone fragments, or so I've read?

If you ever do need to stimulate the appetite of a snake, I'll be happy to give you tips on the correct way to gently tube-feed liquid food to a snake. Think of
    it like the IV of nutrition that a human gets in the hospital: without that energy, they remain in a downward spiral, feeling too poorly to eat, & won't recover.

But we cannot give an IV to a snake....the next best thing is a tube-feed. (I only use Gerber's 2nd stage chicken & gravy baby food, many other products that
    seem similar have sugar or corn syrup & other unnatural things for snakes. I've pulled many snakes through over the years using this method.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I used to raise Russian dwarf hamsters (they're easy) and BPs (as well as some other snakes) tend to like them. Just don't feed live...even the
    babies with EYES CLOSED will growl & bite. Never having tasted or tried using an ASF, I cannot say how similar they are (or aren't?) but just an idea.

I originally raised RDH's for a few picky snakes I had, but was so successful that I ended up selling the surplus to local pet stores: and nothing makes
    them happier than hamsters that come with a temperament guarantee: I already culled the 'bitey' ones for snake-food, but if they got a hamster from
    me that became a biter for any reason, I cheerfully & freely exchanged it for one that was cute & friendly. It helps to have an "outlet"... And
    that way the stores never lost money on grouchy hamsters* that bit people & that they couldn't sell. A win-win!
    The only Russian dwarf hamsters that are available to me are at the pet store I work at and they are $20 a piece..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by renigaed View Post
    the only russian dwarf hamsters that are available to me are at the pet store i work at and they are $20 a piece..
    omg! :o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast