Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,948

0 members and 2,948 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I believe that the seperation that we have made between food and pets is ridiculous. Its an animal with bones and meat just like every other animal. I will never understand why we feel the need to project our own feelings onto animals. Its meat and bones. Its food for something. I would be willing to feed any animal to my snake, as long as it wont hurt him. We are wasting pounds and pounds of meat because as a society we have decided that we shouldn't eat our pets. People need to reconnect with their food source. People need to butcher their own animals for food. It is quite sad that we just goto a grocery store and buy meat without any appreciation of how it got there. There should be a basic rule if you can't kill it, you can't eat it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (05-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Kittens For Food?

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    I believe that the seperation that we have made between food and pets is ridiculous. Its an animal with bones and meat just like every other animal. I will never understand why we feel the need to project our own feelings onto animals. Its meat and bones. Its food for something. I would be willing to feed any animal to my snake, as long as it wont hurt him. We are wasting pounds and pounds of meat because as a society we have decided that we shouldn't eat our pets. People need to reconnect with their food source. People need to butcher their own animals for food. It is quite sad that we just goto a grocery store and buy meat without any appreciation of how it got there. There should be a basic rule if you can't kill it, you can't eat it.
    As someone who grew up in an environment where we did kill and butcher a lot of what we ate, I agree that the general population needs to be more educated on where their food comes from, I don't agree that we should or need to eat our pets though. We definitely had an understanding growing up as to which animals were companion animals and which were grown or hunted for food. I feel like more people need to live by the "take only what you need" philosophy.
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
    I would definitely do it. Cats are the most destructive of all invasive species and have caused the extinction of many indigenous species. Plus they can carry a lot of communicable viruses.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I definitely would NOT do it, despite the fact that I TOTALLY agree with your 2nd & 3rd sentences...I have ZERO love for any roaming cats, pets or otherwise, & zero love
    for the harm they do in my yard & everywhere else they wrongly inhabit, including spreading parasites & diseases.

For anyone with a pet cat (meaning a cat you care about, not one that you pet once a month when it shows up for food) I strongly advise you to keep it out of my yard.

I really APPLAUD Australia for doing the right thing, no matter how difficult it may be: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/26/asia/...ntl/index.html
    While personally I think paying a bounty for scalps might be a bit much, maybe that's what it takes for people to realize they can no longer let their ---- cats run loose.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-01-2019 at 03:41 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-02-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    As someone who grew up in an environment where we did kill and butcher a lot of what we ate, I agree that the general population needs to be more educated on where their food comes from, I don't agree that we should or need to eat our pets though. We definitely had an understanding growing up as to which animals were companion animals and which were grown or hunted for food. I feel like more people need to live by the "take only what you need" philosophy.

By no means did I mean everyone should eat the same animals they keep as pets. I more meant that using pets as food source for other animals that eat meat is ok. I see nothing wrong with feeding a large snake a puppy, or even an old full grown dog. I just look at it like its the cycle of life, and why waste perfectly good meat? I believe that feeding pythons kittens could really take care of some of our cat/dog population. What if you could goto the pound and pick up frozen animals to be used as food ? Not only could they make money from it, and recoup some of their cost. We would be doing our community a service by helping to rid us of strays and sick/dying animals. The fact is we have to put these animals down. if these strays could provide a food source for other animals, I don't see a problem with it. I liken it to Organ donation. Many people when they die allow their organs to be harvested for someone else. I see feeding our dead pets to reptiles sort of the same thing. Their body will allow our snake or whatever to go on living. I know my belief will not be a popular one, and some people may even get upset about it. But I always say this. Just cause someone doesn't agree with you it doesnt make one of you wrong. everyones beliefs have been formed over years of experience and and circumstances. Everyone believes according what has happened to them. Saying that, I dont think anyone is wrong in their beliefs. They are just different. Who am I to say that your belief is wrong?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-01-2019)

Thanks

By no means did I mean everyone should eat the same animals they keep as pets. I more meant that using pets as food source for other animals that eat meat is ok. I see nothing wrong with feeding a large snake a puppy, or even an old full grown dog. I just look at it like its the cycle of life, and why waste perfectly good meat? I believe that feeding pythons kittens could really take care of some of our cat/dog population. What if you could go to the pound and pick up frozen animals to be used as food ? Not only could they make money from it, and recoup some of their cost. We would be doing our community a service by helping to rid us of strays and sick/dying animals. The fact is we have to put these animals down. if these strays could provide a food source for other animals, I don't see a problem with it. I liken it to Organ donation. Many people when they die allow their organs to be harvested for someone else. I see feeding our dead pets to reptiles sort of the same thing. Their body will allow our snake or whatever to go on living. I know my belief will not be a popular one, and some people may even get upset about it. But I always say this. Just cause someone doesn't agree with you it doesnt make one of you wrong. everyones beliefs have been formed over years of experience and and circumstances. Everyone believes according what has happened to them. Saying that, I dont think anyone is wrong in their beliefs. They are just different. Who am I to say that your belief is wrong?
    We do have a huge problem with pet overpopulation, and this makes some sense, except for the problem of the chemicals in/on their bodies (pesticides & inoculations) that would not be healthy for the consumer, & of course, the major issue of changing public opinion. This perspective is not unlike what takes place in zoos- whenever possible one thing is fed to another (whether or not the public knows about it). It takes courage to say this, knowing the pedestal upon which many of us place our pets, and to tell you the truth, I'd much rather see shelters supported by breeders of dogs & cats being FINED for doing so (preventing the overpopulation, rather than dealing with it once it occurs). Sadly, those of us that most love our pets & find the idea abhorrent are the ones least likely to be contributing the most to pet overpopulation. I really want to see "puppy mills" disappear, as well as the end of "back-yard breeders" trying to make money off their pets...I'd much prefer to see fewer created so they all have responsible loving homes & are never dumped to fend for themselves as they too frequently are. And it goes without saying, no more feral cats (or dogs)...they just keep making more & more, as kindhearted people keep on feeding them. They claim they do so because they love cats, but feral cats have a cruel & miserable life, not the life of a pet, so that makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-01-2019 at 07:07 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (05-02-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    We do have a huge problem with pet overpopulation, and this makes some sense, except for the problem of the chemicals in/on their bodies (pesticides & inoculations) that would not be healthy for the consumer, & of course, the major issue of changing public opinion. This perspective is not unlike what takes place in zoos- whenever possible one thing is fed to another (whether or not the public knows about it). It takes courage to say this, knowing the pedestal upon which many of us place our pets, and to tell you the truth, I'd much rather see shelters supported by breeders of dogs & cats being FINED for doing so (preventing the overpopulation, rather than dealing with it once it occurs). Sadly, those of us that most love our pets & find the idea abhorrent are the ones least likely to be contributing the most to pet overpopulation. I really want to see "puppy mills" disappear, as well as the end of "back-yard breeders" trying to make money off their pets...I'd much prefer to see fewer created so they all have responsible loving homes & are never dumped to fend for themselves as they too frequently are. And it goes without saying, no more feral cats (or dogs)...they just keep making more & more, as kindhearted people keep on feeding them. They claim they do so because they love cats, but feral cats have a cruel & miserable life, not the life of a pet, so that makes no sense to me.

I hadn't thought about vaccinations and flea medicine. That would have to be researched and tested.

Thanks

I hadn't thought about vaccinations and flea medicine. That would have to be researched and tested.
    I think we discussed this in another thread someplace...that's one issue that makes them unsuitable unless specifically raised as feeders, which many if not most ppl
    find distasteful. That, and also parasites & diseases found in ferals...again making them a bad (and risky) idea.

Another big problem you cannot ignore is that many people irrationally fear & hate snakes, while cats enjoy far more popularity. If you want more hate than you ever
    imagined to rain down on both wild & pet snakes, just tell people that you're going to round up their roaming cats for snake food & don't forget to call PETA.

I'm glad that you revisited this thread despite the title that's a gut-wrench for many people, because it shows you are thinking "outside the box"...our world needs far
    more of that right now. And coincidentally I had just came across that current article from Australia's response to feral cats. It's really the same thing that's taking
    place with non-native snakes being hunted & killed in the Florida Everglades now...something that we snake-keepers find disturbing & sad, yet for the most part we
    acknowledge that it has to be done, because the snakes being killed do not belong there & they endanger the species that do. (including the threat from new parasites)

The huge problem is that cats have been allowed to roam for decades and in most areas, so that now people are used to the idea as normal...they do NOT care about
    all the wildlife their cats kill, or they wouldn't do it. Many, if not most, cat owners are basically irresponsible "owners" to begin with (it's easier for their cat to defecate
    outside where they don't have to clean up a litter box all the time & buy litter), they can live with the risks of their cats being hit by cars, poisoned by annoyed neighbors,
    injured in fights with each other, even eaten by wildlife (such as coyotes), & most refuse to believe how many other things their cats kill when loose, because they aren't
    there to see it & cats don't bring everything that they harm home with them: reptiles, birds & small mammals are frequently injured & suffer greatly, only to die slowly
    much later, because cats (unless truly feral) don't even kill to eat, they just "hunt" & damage prey, then leave it...dead or barely alive. This is unacceptable & disgusting.

This is a very tough subject for many to think about -almost as bad -& emotional- as human overpopulation but both of these are subjects that need addressed in
    a rational matter, since like it or not, we inhabit an increasingly crowded planet with finite resources. We need real leadership that understands & cares about the
    issues and we need to promote science and education, or we're not going to get there. And we have to work across cultural lines to get this done...people have to stop
    demonizing each other and work together for the good of all, and for the good of our vanishing natural world...before it's too late. Time is not on our sides...get real.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think we discussed this in another thread someplace...that's one issue that makes them unsuitable unless specifically raised as feeders, which many if not most ppl
    find distasteful. That, and also parasites & diseases found in ferals...again making them a bad (and risky) idea.

Another big problem you cannot ignore is that many people irrationally fear & hate snakes, while cats enjoy far more popularity. If you want more hate than you ever
    imagined to rain down on both wild & pet snakes, just tell people that you're going to round up their roaming cats for snake food & don't forget to call PETA.

I'm glad that you revisited this thread despite the title that's a gut-wrench for many people, because it shows you are thinking "outside the box"...our world needs far
    more of that right now. And coincidentally I had just came across that current article from Australia's response to feral cats. It's really the same thing that's taking
    place with non-native snakes being hunted & killed in the Florida Everglades now...something that we snake-keepers find disturbing & sad, yet for the most part we
    acknowledge that it has to be done, because the snakes being killed do not belong there & they endanger the species that do. (including the threat from new parasites)

The huge problem is that cats have been allowed to roam for decades and in most areas, so that now people are used to the idea as normal...they do NOT care about
    all the wildlife their cats kill, or they wouldn't do it. Many, if not most, cat owners are basically irresponsible "owners" to begin with (it's easier for their cat to defecate
    outside where they don't have to clean up a litter box all the time & buy litter), they can live with the risks of their cats being hit by cars, poisoned by annoyed neighbors,
    injured in fights with each other, even eaten by wildlife (such as coyotes), & most refuse to believe how many other things their cats kill when loose, because they aren't
    there to see it & cats don't bring everything that they harm home with them: reptiles, birds & small mammals are frequently injured & suffer greatly, only to die slowly
    much later, because cats (unless truly feral) don't even kill to eat, they just "hunt" & damage prey, then leave it...dead or barely alive. This is unacceptable & disgusting.

This is a very tough subject for many to think about -almost as bad -& emotional- as human overpopulation but both of these are subjects that need addressed in
    a rational matter, since like it or not, we inhabit an increasingly crowded planet with finite resources. We need real leadership that understands & cares about the
    issues and we need to promote science and education, or we're not going to get there. And we have to work across cultural lines to get this done...people have to stop
    demonizing each other and work together for the good of all, and for the good of our vanishing natural world...before it's too late. Time is not on our sides...get real.

Well everyone is always caught up in saying I am right. My belief is right. This is instead of just working together for a common goal. Everyone wants to believe that their beliefs are the only ones that matter, and are correct. People sit there and spend insane amounts of time arguing their issues and their points, instead of just working together on the issues that they agree on. There should be a standard of how to treat animals, and all animals should be treated the same. It shouldn't matter if its a pet or an animal to eat. They should be able to be taken care of with respect. It shouldn't matter if its a snake you are scared of, or a piggy thats a pet. Granted you could go above and beyond that basic care that would be required, but you cant give less. Its proven that stressed out animals yield poor meat quality. If the animals we eat are not put through stress I believe the meat is of a better quality.

Thanks

Problem is, humans are a species of conflict, we live for it, it's in our very DNA. Getting everyone to agree on something and actually do something about the world's problems will likely never happen... you have a better chance of a virus wiping out humanity and the everglades pythons rising up and eating all the feral cats.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Problem is, humans are a species of conflict, we live for it, it's in our very DNA. Getting everyone to agree on something and actually do something about the world's problems will likely never happen... you have a better chance of a virus wiping out humanity and the everglades pythons rising up and eating all the feral cats.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    You may be right...but it won't stop me from "trying" to fix things. That's not in my DNA...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast